Now Reading in 2016

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Sun, The Moon and The Rolling Stones" by R. Cohen. Enjoyable read but nothing new on the boys.

• 2 weeks later...

"American Tabloid" by J. Ellroy

Half way thru. Oh man, is this book fun. All the conspiracy theories about the Mob, CIA, Kennedy and Cuba are fitting together quite nicely.

just ordered The Big Short and Trouble Boys after getting out of Game of Thrones jail (almost a year, loved it, never watched it, thought it was the complete series- oops), immediately devoured Purity by Franzen and 11/22/63, and now polishing off Zero K by DeLillo (not sure, but interesting conceptually). Packing up the new two for a solitary week to stare at the Atlantic Ocean. If the books don't do it, the view will.

just ordered The Big Short and Trouble Boys

Packing up the new two for a solitary week to stare at the Atlantic Ocean. If the books don't do it, the view will.

Sounds awesome. Both books are great btw

Every summer I read at least one Shakespeare play that I've never read before. This morning I finished Henry VIII.

I've tried reading Shakespeare a few times. I appreciate his work so much when acted. Can't read it and appreciate. It's a character flaw I wish I could correct.

Musical truth by Mark Deviln....insightful look into the dark world of the music industry...other books I've read in that field and recommended are Drugs as weapons against us by John Potash....and The covert war against rock by Alex Constantine....nothing is what it seems...

"Mob Cop" by F. Pascente.

My only beef with this book is the title. Everybody knows the Mafia is called The Outfit in Chicago. Anyways, great book. Freddy knew EVERYBODY in the Chicago Outfit and used that to his advantage. He was a dirty rotten cop but he made it sound like a blast.

poets.jpg

Chapters cover everyone from Gene Clark to The Ramones and Sister Rosetta Tharpe. I'm a fan of the artists covered so this has been an interesting read.

Is it good?

The Harry Potter book? It's OK.  I'm glad I read it but I'm not sure it's a vital part of the Harry Potter canon.  My daughter (who is pretty fanatical about HP) described it as above-average fan fiction.  And it's the script of the play so it has a very different feel than the other books.  

• 3 weeks later...

McInerney was on NPR's "Fresh Air" this week - it was nice interview.

a (belated) thanks :-). 

My recent discovery of goodreads leaves me with at least 250 books on my to-read list, and my discovery of abebooks leaves me with a decent portion of that on my new, bigger book case. Even considering that, this topic still contains lots of good recommendations since they rarely include the typical ancient critical darlings. I try to do classic-modern-classic-modern lately.

Anyhoo, I'm reading this, which is delightfully funny but very moving too (he says, knowing full well this is hardly an obscurity)

:7069.jpg

Are there by chance any fans of John Fante's Bandini series here btw?