Now Reading in 2016

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading this simultaneously with the aforementioned Garp. I liked his short story book okay but I'm not sure how seriously I can take him with his GOT association (though I love that show):
1971304.jpg

I'm a huge fan of City of Thieves. Terrific book! I'm late to Game of Thrones, only in the 2nd season now, so I want to go back and read COT to see if I see it differently. He's a helluva writer.

• 4 weeks later...

I sold my copy of Infinite Jest the other day for 8 bucks. I never finished it, much to my chagrin. We are doing a big purge of stuff around the house and I just couldn't justify that fat boy on the shelf sitting there, mocking me.

I've just finished reading my husband's treasured "For What It's Worth"...treasured because Richie Furay was nice enough to personalize a copy to him!

The Buffalo Springfield's story is such a complicated and convoluted one, and in many ways it is a sad story of a band that got more than its share of bad breaks, despite the enormous talent within the group. Fascinating. I grew up in southern CA until I was 10, and then was in northern CA. These guys made the soundtrack to my childhood! I never knew that they weren't huge everywhere, but they sure were in my CA world. And deserved to be!

KA5ZYJs.jpg?1

Well, my Kindle died last night, which is obviously a bummer.  But as with all things, there is a plus side, and in this case the plus side is that I have an excuse to stop reading Jerry on Jerry: The Unreleased Jerry Garcia Interviews.  Someone really should have edited this. It's mostly paragraph length questions, to which Garcia responds "yes. It was far out."  Garbage, even at the $1.99 price.

Well, my Kindle died last night, which is obviously a bummer.  But as with all things, there is a plus side, and in this case the plus side is that I have an excuse to stop reading Jerry on Jerry: The Unreleased Jerry Garcia Interviews.  Someone really should have edited this. It's mostly paragraph length questions, to which Garcia responds "yes. It was far out."  Garbage, even at the $1.99 price.

My 7 year old Nook stopped working not to long ago. I got lucky and was able to grab a "gently used" Nook for 30 bucks by way of Ebay. I can tell whoever owned it never used it. Oddly enough, the cable was fouled though. I am glad I kept my old cable. Since I really only do library books - I need the cable to grab books as well as charge.

My 7 year old Nook stopped working not to long ago. I got lucky and was able to grab a "gently used" Nook for 30 bucks by way of Ebay. I can tell whoever owned it never used it. Oddly enough, the cable was fouled though. I am glad I kept my old cable. Since I really only do library books - I need the cable to grab books as well as charge.

I've had my Kindle for probably less than five years.  It was the cheapest one they make. I was thinking of upgrading it, anyway.  I have a bunch of regular books to read, and hopefully Amazon will offer a deal on Kindles before I get through with those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a book from my daughter for Christmas which was so fascinating that it made me abandon the Vonnegut I was in the middle of. I blasted through my new book and finished it as my first book of the new year, yesterday. A great read!

The book is called "Machine of Death". Yes, sounds grim but it isn't actually. It's a collection of stories by various authors, all based on the premise that a machine has been invented that, with a single drop of one's blood, can tell a person what their cause of death will be. Not when, only the cause. The stories spin out in all directions and detail the societal changes, personal adjustments, and some logical progressions from knowing how one will die. These are terrifically imaginative stories that will make you feel every imaginable emotion.

The Machine often gives a cause with some ambiguity. The crack addict who got himself clean after seeing his death fate (CRACK) nevertheless dies, after tripping over a crack in the sidewalk and striking his head. A prediction of OLD AGE sounds benign but might mean one will be run down by an elderly driver. Lots of possibilities!

This book is a lot of fun. Highly recommended! Not a gory book at all, despite the premise.

Just started reading this one today. I'm a big Lee Hazlewood fan, looking forward to diving in.

51avmZjKCcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hey Kidsmoke; that looks really good!  I'll have to put it up for a vote at the book club* I belong to.  Thanks for the suggestion!

* A year or so ago, my daughter and I realized we had been regularly buying and reading books that the other already had.  So we decided to create a book club to sometimes read the same book at the same time.  So not really a book "club" since it's just the two of us, but it's fun to joke around about how exclusive our club is and who's getting promoted to club president, etc.  We do enjoy trying to find a new book that both of us will be interested in and talking about the merits as we read. Nothing formal or fancy of course; most communication is done via text.  Anyway, it's fun.  And this looks like a great candidate to read.  So thanks!

Hey Kidsmoke; that looks really good!  I'll have to put it up for a vote at the book club* I belong to.  Thanks for the suggestion!

* A year or so ago, my daughter and I realized we had been regularly buying and reading books that the other already had.  So we decided to create a book club to sometimes read the same book at the same time.  So not really a book "club" since it's just the two of us, but it's fun to joke around about how exclusive our club is and who's getting promoted to club president, etc.  We do enjoy trying to find a new book that both of us will be interested in and talking about the merits as we read. Nothing formal or fancy of course; most communication is done via text.  Anyway, it's fun.  And this looks like a great candidate to read.  So thanks!

You will get so sucked in! And I understand there is a second book, a follow-up collection of stories on the same premise. Yay!

I might have to join your book club, if I can pass the stringent entrance qualifications.  :spider

• 1 month later...

Finished Trouble Boys

I'm starting 2017 with this one:

28098152.jpg

Finished this one last night. It's a must read for any Replacements fan. Not a very likeable group of guys, and you don't really get to know any of them really well, but it seems that no one really does - they kept people at a distance and it doesn't seem like any of them were sober for very long anyways, so what's there to know about them? They were drunk assholes most of the time. 

Started this one last night. Looking forward to it.

41tFO6prklL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg