Now Reading in 2016

41Ra4XOX6wL._SX337_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm a big fan of Auster and I'm about 1/3 of the way through this.  It's an interesting concept - it's basically four stories in one.  It follows the same set of characters but each chapter is a grouping of four different scenarios within the same timeframe imaging if different decisions had been made by the characters.  I'm liking it so far but it's almost 900 pages and I could see it turning into a bit of a confusing slog at some point.  

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me about this.

This is the second Modiano book I've read and I've only just begun this one this but it's quite beautiful. Dreams, memory, reality all intersect (already!) in this story about a nameless man who is searching the streets and neighborhoods of Paris for a woman he encounters in the first sentence of the book - when she knocks him down in her car. I'm finding I need a quiet space to sit with it and give the language its full due. When I do this I am quite transfixed by the writing. There are lines everywhere I want to scribble down in my notebook.

I came across Patrick Modiano's name in an interview with Patti Smith. I'll definitely be seeking out more of his work.

I agree. Sometimes A Great Notion really hit me as a work of such pure yet complex genius.

I picked that up on a whim at a library book sale and was blown away. One of my and my wife's favorite books.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Empire of the Summer Moon" by SC Gwynne. A very interesting and informative read about the Comanche tribe and their resistance to the westward expansion of the frontier. The Comanche were bad asses!

I loved Ready player one. And everybody I loaned it to seemed to love it.

I thought it might have been you! Good. I'm currently trying to get through a book which I actually really like, but it isn't fast-paced and I find in these bizarre socio-political times that I'm spending my reading time wading through the news and various opinion pieces...which means I'm reading my book even more slowly and somewhat losing the plot! I need a snappier, faster-paced story to pull me out of my news-horror-hypnosis. Will Ready Player One be that book, do you think?

Finally got around to American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Half way through and I dig it.

Over the summer I hit up Murakami: Kafka on the Shore, and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, as well as a couple sequels by Douglas Adams in the Hitchhiker's Guide series.

I guess I'm really into nerdy, not realistic stuff right now.

• 2 months later...

"Million Dollar Bash", again. It's about Dylan's Basement Tape era and catalogs all the known tunes they recorded. If you are a Dylan nut, its a great read.

• 1 month later...

51DjkMSjwQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this book.  It is part graphic novel but mostly an interesting personal history of New York City.  It is funny and fascinating and informative.   

Sounds fascinating!

51YCzUi5OJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

How is this? I loved "Rules of Civility".

This is such a strange book, structurally. It took me a bit to really get into it, but then I loved it. What an original mind Saunders is!

I'll look forward to that then! A lot of my favorite books take awhile to draw you in, but then are so wonderful and hard to finish. I'm currently reading "A Soldier of the Great War" by Mark Helprin...it is beautiful, captivating writing from the first, but it took me awhile to get all the way inside the story. I'm hooked now, though!

And looking at how old this thread is, it's time for an updated one, so I'm closing the old and opening the new.