Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there irony in Sanders having to give away delegates that he earned? I mean let's be honest, he doesn't need all of them!

Saying that he earned them is a misunderstanding on how it works. He did receive all the delegates he won as determined by popular vote. The DNC apparently doesn't believe in one person -> one vote, which is why they squirrel away votes for superdelegates.

So, he didn't give anything away.

I half watched/listened to most of it last night. Bernie stayed on his talking points, Hillary beat him on foreign policy. The gloves came off a little bit but there's not much to say about it.

I watched a whole bunch of the debate until I got tired of it.  Bernie needs to wing it more.  Both of them are already starting to look really old and tired.(and I should know I am old and tired myself.)  I agree, not much to say.  Let's get this thing over with and move to the general all ready.

LouieB

^^^ And I hope you're the only person to say it.  Regardless of whether you agreed with hiis opinions, the man was a Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court and doesn't serve to be called a POS. 

^^^ And I hope you're the only person to say it.  Regardless of whether you agreed with hiis opinions, the man was a Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court and doesn't serve to be called a POS. 

The level of vitriol on forums that I frequent is off the charts, and I know many of the people personally. I could never get that worked up over politics. Sadly, every one of the celebrators consider themselves open-minded and a good number of them prefaced their cheers with "I'm not the kind of person to celebrate another person's death, but..."

We should all remember that these are men and women appointed for life, not career politicians who talk out of both sides of their mouths in search of the presidency and the hundreds of millions in speaking fees and book advances that go with it.

I agree. I am no fan of Scalia and hope that he will be replaced with someone that interprets our Constitution in a way more in line with John Paul Stevens, but I am not rejoicing in his death or denigrating him. I can imagine the Internet comments are over the top. There has always been a coarseness to politics, but people seem to lose all perspective with the anonymity of the Internet.

Scalia was smart and had a biting wit. The fact that he was good friends with Elena Kagan and Ruth Bader Ginsburg should tell us something about him personally.

Now if I were Obama, I would fulfill my constitutional obligation by nominating a moderate just to date the Republicans to obstruct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to be crap show with the Senate. The statement by Senator McConnell makes zero sense.

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President,” the GOP leader said in a statement.

^^^ And I hope you're the only person to say it. Regardless of whether you agreed with hiis opinions, the man was a Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court and doesn't serve to be called a POS.

Perhaps I misspoke: "racist turd" would be more specific.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/justice-scalia-under-fire-comments-about-black-students-n478681

I wish Hunter S. Thompson were still alive to write an obituary for him. As far as I'm concerned, he was a vile pig without a shred of empathy for the common man, who sided with the rich over the poor and with corporations over people. The fact that he was a Supreme Court Justice makes it much, much worse. I don't base my assessment on some vague feeling but on his many repugnant statements. I remain unrepentant in my criticism. If he were still alive, and his head were on fire, i wouldn't piss on him to put it out.

It's going to be crap show with the Senate. The statement by Senator McConnell makes zero sense.

Especially after his comments in 2005.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2016/2/13/1484831/-Sen-Mitch-McConnell-in-2005-The-President-and-the-President-alone-nominates-judges

So Sen. McConnell's, logic is this. If the president is part of his party, he should have power to nominate whomever, if they are not, the American people should have a voice. Ugh.

This is gonna get ugly. It will be interesting to see what happens on the campaign trail and especially interesting to see a what Senators Rubio, Cruz and Sanders do.

Perhaps I misspoke: "racist turd" would be more specific.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/justice-scalia-under-fire-comments-about-black-students-n478681

I wish Hunter S. Thompson were still alive to write an obituary for him. As far as I'm concerned, he was a vile pig without a shred of empathy for the common man, who sided with the rich over the poor and with corporations over people. The fact that he was a Supreme Court Justice makes it much, much worse. I don't base my assessment on some vague feeling but on his many repugnant statements. I remain unrepentant in my criticism. If he were still alive, and his head were on fire, i wouldn't piss on him to put it out.

And yet those liberals who knew him the best valued his friendship.