Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno.....I think people watch too many X-Files or watch to many conspiracy shows.  The guy was on a hunting trip in a remote part of West Texas at an exclusive resort.  He was an older man, carrying a few extra pounds and apparently had health problems.  Let's be honest, if you gotta go, dying in your sleep or close to it in the later years of your life on a hunting trip (if you like that sort of thing) seems like a pretty good way to go. 

Look at all the musicians we have been talking about who have died in recent months; no one suggests that they were murdered even though most were well younger than Scalia.  Sadly shit happens.  Any of us could be gone tomorrow.  As someone who is older I think about this pretty much daily.

LouieB

I am not not, nor ever have been a conspiracy theorist, people die in their sleep for various reasons. I doubt there are any statistics kept, but I think that it has to be rare that people die a natural death in bed with a pillow over their head. It just seems like that alone should be reason for an autopsy, especially when it is a Supreme Court Justice. "Say, this is odd and rarely seen. Order an autopsy to find out the exact cause of death".

Do you sleep with a pillow over your head?

No, but when I murder someone to make sure my liberal agenda is forced on the nation and America is completely destroyed, I leave the murder weapon on the dude's face, just to make sure the conspiracy nuts out there would have something to talk about.   

I never used the word murder. I just said it was sketchy. 

Clearly by bringing it into question you wanted to question the circumstances around the man's death.  No, you did not have to say murder, but what else does your comment imply?  Scalia's death is not suspicious, it is not sketchy, it is an unfortunate thing.  The man was 79 years old, overweight, a smoker, with a high stress job.  And that is what we know about.  Who knows what other health problems he had.  I am surprised he made it to 79.  The pillow over the face thing is nothing more than a rumor and only used to make this story salacious.  It is a ridiculous thing to even talk about.    

But take the story to the logical conclusion, Scalia was murdered?  Why?  It makes no sense to have Scalia murdered.  This is not House of Cards.  If there was a plan to have a justice killed, why wait until now?  Why wasn't this done in 2009, when the Democrats had control of the Senate?  A liberal nominee would sail through.  

Hey but be glad you now have something in common with Donald Trump:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/trump-pretty-unusual-scalia-was-found-with-pillow-on-his-face/

I am not not, nor ever have been a conspiracy theorist, people die in their sleep for various reasons. I doubt there are any statistics kept, but I think that it has to be rare that people die a natural death in bed with a pillow over their head. It just seems like that alone should be reason for an autopsy, especially when it is a Supreme Court Justice. "Say, this is odd and rarely seen. Order an autopsy to find out the exact cause of death".

Well congratulations you are now a conspiracy theorist.  

I don't believe that he was murdered. What wouldn't surprise me is that there was something going on that would be embarrassing. That would explain no autopsy being ordered and the family not wanting one. If there is any story, it is more likely something that would cast Scalia in a negative light than some political murder.

Also, pillow isn't a rumor. The guy that found him says that's how it was. He may be exaggerating (it was only over his eyes) or completely talking shit, but that's his story.

"“We discovered the judge in bed, a pillow over his head. His bedclothes were unwrinkled,” Texas millionaire John Poindexter told the San Antonio Express-News Sunday, describing how he found the 79-year-old jurist in the “El Presidente” suite at Poindexter’s 30,000-acre luxury ranch on Saturday."

Well congratulations you are now a conspiracy theorist.  

Um, no. 

On your head and over your head are not the same. 

If there were any shred of a question that there was foul play the family and his associates certainly would want an autopsy, but since they declined one, I guess if there is a conspiracy they are in on it.  Maybe the family killed him so that this could be a major issue in the election.  Sheesh, this is too strange to even talk about at any length. Both creepy and stupid all at the same time.

LouieB

The report was that a pillow was found "over his head;" not "over his face."  Maybe a better choice of words would have been a pillow was "above his head" or "between the top of his head and the headboard." There's nothing to this non-story.

If there were any shred of a question that there was foul play the family and his associates certainly would want an autopsy, but since they declined one, I guess if there is a conspiracy they are in on it.  Maybe the family killed him so that this could be a major issue in the election.  Sheesh, this is too strange to even talk about at any length. Both creepy and stupid all at the same time.

LouieB

Again, more likely that the family might be protecting his legacy in some way with no autopsy, than protecting their murderous selves.

The report was that a pillow was found "over his head;" not "over his face."  Maybe a better choice of words would have been "above his head."  There's nothing to this non-story.

To me, over his head means just that. The head is completely covered by a pillow. Again, the ranch owner/Scalia finder could have misspoke, but he said "a pillow over his head". Also, I have told 5 people that "Scalia was found with a pillow over his head". All of them took that to mean it was covering his head. If the dude meant above his head, dude should have said above his head.

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Thanks!

DougC -- Read the CNN story. The ranch owner clarified what he meant by "over his head."  It's not the same as "over his face."  

Winston wins the thread with his exclusive photos!

Chez, thanks. I hadn't come across the clarification yet. That's a horse of a different color. Rich guy should practice his communication skills.

In a statement Tuesday, the owner of the ranch clarified to CNN what he meant when he told the San Antonio Express the judge was found with a "pillow over his head."

"I think enough disclosures were made and what I said precisely was accurate. He had a pillow over his head, not over his face as some have been saying," John Poindexter, owner of the Cibolo Creek Ranch, where Scalia was found, told CNN over the phone. "The pillow was against the headboard and over his head when he was discovered. He looked like someone who had had a restful night's sleep. There was no evidence of anything else."

Chez, thanks. I hadn't come across the clarification yet. That's a horse of a different color. Rich guy should practice his communication skills.

Or people should stop jumping to conclusions or trying to infer things that are not there.  

What is interesting on this whole "pillow-gate" thing is how quickly people will jump to the most illogical conclusion, because of the nature of the story.  Because of a slight miswording it was called suspicious, sketchy, and murder (not all here, but elsewhere).  People have the desire to see the worse in an outcome or try to make everything like the shows on TV.  TV is TV for a reason, it is a fantasy.  Real life is often times more boring.  Sometimes there is murder and terrible things, but looking into things that are not there is just not healthy nor good.  Scalia's death is something that will affect our nation for decades to come, not only who replaces him, but more importantly how we deal with the process.  Adding the notion of foul play or some type of cover up just confounds the issue.  

And BTW a conspiracy theory is defined as "an explanatory or speculative hypothesis suggesting that two or more persons or an organization have conspired to cause or to cover up, through secret planning and deliberate action, an event or situation typically regarded as illegal or harmful." 

Again, more likely that the family might be protecting his legacy in some way with no autopsy, than protecting their murderous selves.

But yeah, you are not a conspiracy theorist.