Politics 2016 (election edition)

Yeah, I'm actually kind of with you Hix, expanded wind and solar with a nuclear back bone would clean up the air real quick, and it would make those newfangled electric cars more effective.

It seems like the most realistic alternative to drilling mile-deep holes in the ground and then transporting the contents halfway across the planet.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like North Korea has conducted their first successful test of a hydrogen bomb. It's a good thing for the rest of the world that they don't have a history of developing ICBMs and selling sensitive technology to the highest bidder.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/asia/north-korea-seismic-event/index.html

I can only assume they did it because Obama set his plan in motion to take our guns.

Also whether or not it was an actual H bomb has been put into serious question.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/north-korea-hydrogen-bomb-test-experts-express-doubts-over-countrys-claims-a6798436.html

But of course we should take them at their word, this is the country that found a unicorn.  

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/30/unicorns-existence-proven-says-north-korea/

Electric cars are cool, but if they're powered by electricity generated by fossil fuels, what's the point?

this is speculation on my part, but i would imagine that if you have an electric car, you actually drive it less than a conventional car, in terms of total miles. does anyone who's got an electric car care to chime in?

also, there's the angle of which is less polluting - making electricity via a power plant, or a car. i would bet the plant wins that scenario.

this is speculation on my part, but i would imagine that if you have an electric car, you actually drive it less than a conventional car, in terms of total miles. does anyone who's got an electric car care to chime in?

I think the Chevy Volt has an all-electric range of about 40 miles, so I suppose that may be true. The more popular Tesla's get more than 200 miles per charge, so I doubt they affect anyone's driving habits except for when it comes to cross country trips.

also, there's the angle of which is less polluting - making electricity via a power plant, or a car. i would bet the plant wins that scenario.

Depends on where you live.  In a state with cleaner power, electric is far better.  My state has so much coal power that it's a toss up, with an electric edging out a gas guzzler, but about tied with an efficient car.  Old coal plants are nasty.

Depends on where you live.  In a state with cleaner power, electric is far better.  My state has so much coal power that it's a toss up, with an electric edging out a gas guzzler, but about tied with an efficient car.  Old coal plants are nasty.

yep, Kevin's link definitely supports that.

i remember years ago talking w/ an engineer from Jacobs who was working on a job w/ me. he said "I'm not sure where you get your energy from, but all my electricity comes from a wind farm in Idaho."

Makes me want to play Power Grid.

Anyone else play that game? Love it.

/German board game nerd alert.

Are you kidding me?  I'm getting that for my husband right away.  He's a nuclear engineer and we used to live in Germany.  Thanks!!

Edited to note that one of the reviews on Amazon says "Don't buy it if you don't have a dick."

Are you kidding me?  I'm getting that for my husband right away.  He's a nuclear engineer and we used to live in Germany.  Thanks!!

Edited to note that one of the reviews on Amazon says "Don't buy it if you don't have a dick."

My wife and sister both love the game.

People groan when I suggest playing it - because it ends up being a 3 hour affair, but once the game gets going, everyone gets really into it.

Not sure why a reviewer would say it's a male-only game.

People groan when I suggest playing it - because it ends up being a 3 hour affair, but once the game gets going, everyone gets really into it.

It's awfully cis-normative of you to suggest that only males have dicks.

The reviewer said that the instructions only use male pronouns.  Which, for me, wouldn't be a reason not to buy it, but I did think it was funny.

Ok so MSNBC interviewed one of those a holed out in Oregon. He is staying under a blue tarp, which brings to mind the song man in a box. There has to be a man under tarp parody out there. Anyhow he is not the first one of these assholes to suggest or out right say that they will not be taken alive. In my mind when they say shit like that while holding weapons they are in fact brandishing them and threatening federal and local law enforcement. These guys are not peaceful protestors they are armed militants looking for a confrontation. To hell with them, this needs to be supressed now. The fact that this place is on the middle of nowhere has no more bearing on the situation than a robbery where the take is $7. oh, they are all also constitutional law experts. Though they have missed vast sections of the document. By listening to these fucks the impression I get is that the constitution consists of the second amendment, the tenth and the only duty of the federal government is to protect borders. Forget the rest. this shit just makes me mad.

Indeed, John. Everyone of them must be arrested and face charges. Some of the Oregon terrorists also made goodbye videos for their families. They are akin to radical Islamist terrorists. They are religious zealots (a bizarre brand of fundamentalist Mormonism), theocratic (the Constitution came to the founders from God, so it is Holy Scripture just like the Bible and the Book of Mormon. I am paraphrasing a speech either the elder Hammond or Cliven Bundy made, I forget which one), speak of martyrdom and have a long history of threatening federal authorities. If I went onto Federal property, armed, and made demands and threats, I would expect to be arrested.

The man under the tarp pretty much said he will die fighting rather than live in a concrete box. To my mind he is directly threatening law enforcement, much more so than a man holding a BB gun on his shoulder in a Walmart. I wonder where Lon Horuchi is these days?

Ok so MSNBC interviewed one of those a holed out in Oregon. He is staying under a blue tarp, which brings to mind the song man in a box. There has to be a man under tarp parody out there. 

Maybe if this was 1991 or something.

Anyhow he is not the first one of these assholes to suggest or out right say that they will not be taken alive. In my mind when they say shit like that while holding weapons they are in fact brandishing them and threatening federal and local law enforcement. These guys are not peaceful protestors they are armed militants looking for a confrontation. To hell with them, this needs to be supressed now. The fact that this place is on the middle of nowhere has no more bearing on the situation than a robbery where the take is $7. 

Yes these guys are militants, terrorist or whatnot.  But look at what they are doing.  They are not walking in a crowded building and shooting up the joint or strapping suicide vests to themselves.  They are occupying a building in the middle of nowhere that is not currently being used.  Harm (and to some extent inconvenience) to the public is not an issue.  They are trying to make a statement, the media attention is just feeding in on that.    

Law enforcement needs to end their occupation, agreed.  But they need to end it peacefully.  They need to end it so no one gets injured or killed.  I don't think any logical person is saying they should not be prosecuted for what they are doing.  But I don't think it warrants the needless endangerment of Police (or anyone really). 

What needs to happen is the media needs to pack their things and go away.  Social Media sites need to stop allowing them to use their sites to ask for help, give updates or whatever.  Once their platform is gone, this will end quickly.  

oh, they are all also constitutional law experts. Though they have missed vast sections of the document. By listening to these fucks the impression I get is that the constitution consists of the second amendment, the tenth and the only duty of the federal government is to protect borders. Forget the rest. this shit just makes me mad.

Like the Bible, people only care about part of the constitution they agree with.  

The man under the tarp pretty much said he will die fighting rather than live in a concrete box. To my mind he is directly threatening law enforcement, much more so than a man holding a BB gun on his shoulder in a Walmart. I wonder where Lon Horuchi is these days?

Yes you are right.  However just because there have been police killings in the past does not justify the police storming and potentially killing these people.   I for one wish that the police would always try to defuse the situation rather resort to an armed confrontation.  If the police officer in the walmart case would have acted rationally a tragedy would have been averted.  

At this point let a sleeping dog lie.  But that is not to say we should not do something if there is a serious and credible threat to the police or the public it should not be dealt with appropriately. 

So I guess, at this point what would be the purpose to ending this with an armed confrontation by the police?