Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Duke of the KKK and now a Farrakhan "endorsement"-- great twofer for Mr. Trump. Too crazy.

Farrakhan lives a few blocks over from where I lived in the city -- at least I can say he was a good neighbor and his sidewalks were always shoveled in the winter.

First Duke of the KKK and now a Farrakhan "endorsement"-- great twofer for Mr. Trump. Too crazy.

Wow, just wow.

I am glad to see the GOP go after Trump.  However it is too little too late.  And unfortunately it is petty one liners, extremely unbecoming of the Office of President IMHO.  

Remember last year when I was freaking out about Trump's numbers and pretty much everyone said not to worry.  Well ladies and gentlemen it is time to worry.  Tomorrow, we could wake up in a world where Donald Trump is the Republican nominee for president.

And conservatives will have to answer and look in their hearts and answer, would a Hillary (or Sanders) presidency worse than a Trump presidency?  

The GOP knows that if Trump is elected under the Republican flag, the Republican party will not exist in 4 years. Trump will do so much damage to America and the GOP/conservative movement that the lights will be turned out on the GOP. So the GOP will refuse to nominate him, even if he wins the primaries, and run either Ding or Dong. Doesn't matter who because they wont win against Hillary because the conservative vote will be split between Trump and Ding/Dong. Yeah, so they'll lose the election but the party will be saved. Watch and see.....

Nah, the GOP isn't going anywhere.  There's no ride republicans won't take with their leaders, no matter how absurd, dangerous, and un-American.  There is no indication at all that the GOP, or republican voters have a bottom upon which to bottom out.  The last 15 years has demonstrated that very clearly.

After 4 years of Trump disaster, what conservative would cast a vote in the GOPs direction?

Perhaps I'm being too kind?

A newly created conservative party with the GOP branding pushed to the wayside. Tea Partiers need not apply.

Trump vs Sanders is the real story here though we probably won't ever hear the bell ding for that fight. Since 9/11, we've been devolving deeper into a culture that feeds on primal fears on all sides, and these two men's campaigns are the manifestation of where our country is right now. Everyone else is a distraction at this point.
Trump vs Bernie would fast-track the civil war that's already on our horizon. And Bernie would win. Because, even as a commie, Bernie is an old white guy. Many old white guys who don't like Trump would, in a general election, shrug and vote for Bernie just to have an old white guy back in the old White House. And then, when the battles begin in the streets, at least the military would be on the side of the beta personalities and the faggots and the atheists. And maybe the war won't be so bad. Maybe those of us who laugh at the GOP debates and send checks to Planned Parenthood and want Muslims to live next door to us can ride out the storm while all those old white guys, including Bernie, die off. Then we can add a rainbow filter over the flag and move on past the culture war and start concerning ourselves with the economy again.

This is getting a little weird.  You guys know a party nomination doesn't make you president, right?  I agree that the mere possibility of a Trump presidency is upsetting, but given the numbers, our whole country, not just whatever percent of Republicans who caucus, do we really need to paint a doomsday picture?  I mean get out and vote, of course, but I think we can leave our pants unsoiled at this point in the game.

There are so many normal, reasonable people in our country right now that we're not hearing.  They don't get to be on TV.  Talk to the people at work, talk to your neighbors.  There's sure to be a nut in there somewhere, but this is still a country largely dominated by reasonable people no matter what the media leads you to believe.

This is getting a little weird.  You guys know a party nomination doesn't make you president, right? 

You know, under normal circumstances I would agree with you.  And even if Trump is the GOP candidate, all logic says he will not win. But bank in June when he announced, was there anyone who thought he would come this far?  Is there anyone who would have seriously thought on Super Tuesday, he is nearly poised to be the GOP nominee?  

His candidacy has defied conventional wisdom and decency.  He has made statements against, African Americans, women, the disabled, the Pope, the list goes on.  He spreads lies and bigotry with every speech.  He and his supporters have advocated (and used) violence against those that disagree with him.  There should be no reason he has the success that he does.  By low and behold he will probably be the nominee.  The nominee puts him one step closer to the presidency.  I don't think we rely on conventional logic.  I am afraid he might be president.       

I think everyone needs to take a breath and contextualize his success. I'm gonna answer fear with faith (and not in god): all of his garbage that is so offensive- which you've listed- is the very reason he will not be elected. In fact it's the death rattle of American republicanism as we know it.

I think everyone needs to take a breath and contextualize his success. I'm gonna answer fear with faith (and not in god): all of his garbage that is so offensive- which you've listed- is the very reason he will not be elected. In fact it's the death rattle of American republicanism as we know it.

I wish I had your confidence.

Current national polls show Sanders beating Trump in a general election, but Trump beating Hillary. It's downright incredible.

I'm not saying it's impossible for her to win, but people who hate the Clintons seem to have a visceral hatred for them...especially for her. She might hobble into the White House, but the next 8 months are gonna be ugly.

But honestly, people have saying relax since June.  Waiting for his downfall, or the thing that will derail him.  And truth be told there are things that could derail him, for sure.  But the past 9 months or so, he has proven he can say and do anything and it will not affect his poll numbers. I do not have your faith.  Especially if Clinton is the nominee. I have a feeling there will be a lot of disaffected young Sanders supporters who will not vote for Clinton (and for some reason vote Trump).  

I wish I had your confidence.

Current national polls show Sanders beating Trump in a general election, but Trump beating Hillary. It's downright incredible.

Not sure that is right.  CNN has Hillary and Sanders over Trump.  And in the case of Clinton v Trump, Clinton has a 8 point lead.   

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/01/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-poll/

But of course the popular vote does not mean anything, it is all about the electoral math.  Which is why Rubio would probably beat Clinton.  

What does it all mean? 

Everyone take a deep breath now.  How many months until the general election?  Plenty of time for the GOP to broker a convention and install Mitt Romney again? Suddenly the old Mitt is looking pretty good.

Edit - I guess I was wrong about Rubio.  Then again you never know.

LouieB

The caucus was pretty wild in my district of CO last night: absolutely packed scene, a good bit of confusion, crying babies over proxies yelling out backings, confusion on where to confer for specific precincts, people "undecided" when straw and real votes were taken (and then people on both sides were allowed to try and sway them). Almost a surreal process. 

The caucus was pretty wild in my district of CO last night: absolutely packed scene, a good bit of confusion, crying babies over proxies yelling out backings, confusion on where to confer for specific precincts, people "undecided" when straw and real votes were taken (and then people on both sides were allowed to try and sway them). Almost a surreal process. 

Sanders won percentage wise 59% to 40% but lost in the delegate department: Clinton:34 Sanders: 33.

I think this happen a bit in the 2008 election, too - with Obama and Clinton, except Clinton is on the receiving end of the delegates, now, while in 08 she was not.

:lol

are you suggesting that Cruz and/or Rubio would come out at the top of the wisdom charts among that group?

go on, tell me more.

I had no idea Trump was so old (and not older than Clinton).  I would have put his age at early sixties.

But of course this is not the first time Hixter has brought up, the age of the candidates.  And I am not sure what he is getting at or trying to say.  It is amazing how these memes and things turn based upon who it benefits. 

It is a sad day if age is the deciding factor on who you want to be president.  

Rubio has shown increasingly immaturity on the campaign trail recently, making dick and pee jokes about Trump, something wholly unbecoming of the office they seek.  Cruz also doesn't seem to any type of wisdom to compromise on anything.  They both have not shown any type of wisdom of temperament in the recent months or the political careers.