Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still be surprised if he gets the nomination. It's unlikely that he will have the majority of delegates he needs for the first ballot. After that, all bets are off and the GOP will do everything it can to prevent him from winning. 

I can't see any way that Trump is NOT going to be the nominee.  The GOP will figure that they need to re-entrench Congress so they can thwart Hillary when she wins.

LouieB

I can't see any way that Trump is NOT going to be the nominee.  The GOP will figure that they need to re-entrench Congress so they can thwart Hillary when she wins.

LouieB

And putting Trump at the top of the ticket is the exact opposite way to try to accomplish that.

I don't remember there being Obama supporters who vowed to vote third party if Hilary won the nomination.  Or vice versa.  But it is extremely common among Sanders supporters.

As a Sanders supporter I find the Sanders supporters who are still bashing Clinton to be totally irritating.  Sorry guys it's about over and even Bernie is going to have to figure out how to cruise into the convention, get his time, and exit gracefully and support the ticket. 

Okay so Hillary can be a pain in the butt, but let's face it, she isn't all that different from Bernie, or the Bernie that would eventually be as the  elected president.  He seems to have a bit of a dog whistle himself when it comes to African Americans too. Cool it Bern.

LouieB

Okay so Hillary can be a pain in the butt, but let's face it, she isn't all that different from Bernie, or the Bernie that would eventually be as the  elected president. 

I just don't buy this. I believe the Clinton's are driven mostly by enriching themselves and their reputations even more so than most politicians. I would argue that Bernie feels this far less. I don't necessarily agree with Bernie's solutions to our problems, but I believe he is the most earnest in his beliefs. 

I don't remember there being Obama supporters who vowed to vote third party if Hilary won the nomination.  Or vice versa.  But it is extremely common among Sanders supporters.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/08/clinton.voters/

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/05/06/exit-polls-half-of-clintons-supporters-wont-back-obama/

Yeah, it looked pretty rough for a while there. But to her credit Hillary strongly supported Obama once she dropped out and virtually all of her supporters followed suit. I fully expect Sanders to do the same.

I have some Sander supporting friends who have been going after Clinton like rabid dogs for months.  These are people I know well, but I've seen the exact same thing from countless acquaintances and strangers,  They think she's a front-runner for most evil living human, and that is not an exaggeration.  I don't know how these folks could possibly walk that back and give her their vote. 

So, while there was some "I refuse to vote for _____" in '08, the vitriol this time appears to me to be more widespread and vicious. I think this time, for many, it's not just empty rhetoric. A significant number of people will carry out their refusal to vote Clinton, should she be the nominee.

It's amazing how things can change quickly in politics. For example, I think we're in the midst of a Trump makeover to a more mainstream candidate. I'm seeing less and less coverage of violence at his rallies, of the hateful things he's said about Mexicans, Muslims, and other already marginalized groups. Then there's George H.W. Bush who seemed unbeatable after the (apparent) success of the Gulf War. Clinton remembers how that worked out.

While the election is only 6 months off, it's a whole half year away, if you take my meaning. Lots of Dems will forget or lessen the vitriol they had toward Clinton when faced with the reality of a Cruz or Trump administration.

Clinton vs. Trump is looking all but inevitable, other than the impending RNC meltdown.

It is truly mind-boggling that Trump is more than likely going to be the nominee. This race is so tight, though, that each state next up with its primary becomes huge, which is exciting. As inevitable as Trump looks now, a loss in Indiana next week will change the narrative once again (and it currently looks really close).