Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is.

How so? I mean she is an important symbolic figure obviously. She was vita groups for what she is known for, but what did she do that shaped the US? I would argue that Fredrick Douglas from that time period was more influential. Generally the people on the currency have had huge influences in shaping the nation. So I'm curious.

I wish I knew what that means too. What I meant was that she was very good at what she was known for. My Frederick Douglas Comment is there if the guiding thinking on her selection was an African American from that era. If they were looking for a woman I think SB Anthony might have more significance.

Admittedly the timing of the Tubman announcement had a certain effect on me - a week before then, I was in DC with my family and got to take my daughter all around (wife was at a conference mostly), and I bought her a Harriet Tubman graphic novel at the MLK Memorial gift shop. I listened as my wife read the whole thing to her on the drive back home and was floored by the full tale (certainly dramatized for max effect in that format but still) of her life, and thought about how little Tubman is mentioned in pop culture ... so ...

Susan B Anthony too....on another lost cause dollar coin.

LouieB

When I worked in DC the Senator I worked for was on the committee to redesign the dollar coin (the current Sacajawea).  It was a big debate on who they should put on it and it had to be a woman, etc.  So his response was the Eagle was a female so everyone should not worry about it.  He was kinda a prick that way.  

Well apparently the presumptive GOP nominee believes that Ted Cruz's father was pals with Lee Harvey Oswald.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/05/trump-ted-cruz-father-222730

This is the person that a majority of Republicans have picked to be their nominee for President.  

It is beyond the pale what this man will say.  It is maddening.

So it seems that the GOP has realized that it has no other choice but to rally around Trump. I'm afraid it's going to be an astoundingly ugly campaign, as their only path to victory is to make Clinton seem like the absolute worst person on the planet. God help us all survive these next 6 months.

So it seems that the GOP has realized that it has no other choice but to rally around Trump. I'm afraid it's going to be an astoundingly ugly campaign, as their only path to victory is to make Clinton seem like the absolute worst person on the planet. God help us all survive these next 6 months.

The next 6 months could be wonderful compared to the next 4 years depending on who wins. 

All the GOP will have to do to paint Hillary as the most evil person who has ever lived is parrot the FB comments made by Bernie supporters.

Right?  I think there are some very fair criticisms of Hilary, but my Bernie friends have made Facebook intolerable with their vitriol.  They would stop at nothing short of throwing Clinton in prison for being a little too slick (maybe a little slimy).  At the end of the day I think four years of Clinton have the potential to continue the improvements we've seen in the last 8.  At worst, she's a safer bet than the alternative.