Politics 2016 (election edition)

Cruz would have stacked the courts with religious extremists.  Trump will stack the courts with judges who pander to business interests.  Both would be pretty terrible. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know is will Trump talk more about his penis in the general election debates?

Or will Hillary confirm that she will not copulate with Trump, even though he is a rat?

I'd wager that her wealth/fear of losing her money has very little if nothing at all to do with whom she supports or does not support.

That is my point.  When you obtain a certain level of prosperity and power, whomever the president is doesn't really matter.  She can weather a Trump presidency far better the middle class or the poor can.  She shows a very stupid and callous attitude towards the plight of every day Americans.   

Is there anyone in high-level politics/government  that isn't touched by some level of shadiness?

No.  I used to think Bernie Sanders was, but the recent months has changed that view.  

BTW Clinton probably is the most shady of the three remaining candidates (we all know she had Vince Foster killed, right?).  But there is a difference between being shady and being a liar, bigot, misogynistic hate monger.  

It appears that Donald Trump no longer gives a f*ck.  

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/728297587418247168

Ladies and Gentleman the your presumptive Republican nominee.  

No longer? The dude has always been Janice from accounting. Hell, he's the O.J.

Even if Bernie makes nice in Philly it isn't going to persuade vast numbers of voters to vote for Hillary. I am, but then I am a wimp and a sell out I suppose. The idea of a Trump Supreme Court gives me nightmares, because that is really the bottom line of this election. I don't think Hillary is bad, but by this point in the process, I would like a real alternative to all of this (including Bernie.)

LouieB

You are not a wimp and that's not selling out. You bring to mind the most frustrating thing to me about my fellow progressives.

What is the cowardice of investing your vote in someone viable and objectively better? What is courageous or superior about refusing to participate and watching a madman take the controls? It's like people think their damn vote is something to put up on a mantle or that it's a tshirt of their favorite political band. It's really a two minute, mail in contribution to a highering committee where it's already been narrowed down to two candidates.

I suppose some liberals think their activism in the fight to keep big money out of politics reaches its zenith once every four years and focuses soley on the executive office. I would love to watch Bernie go to work on it, but the real change is sitting on a desk in a senate bill right now. The real choice will happen a couple hundred times over when people find congressional representation that isn't a bad joke and when we all get on the phone to let our representatives know that there are bills worth signing right now that could help fight corruption.

You are not a wimp and that's not selling out. You bring to mind the most frustrating thing to me about my fellow progressives.

What is the cowardice of investing your vote in someone viable and objectively better? What is courageous or superior about refusing to participate and watching a madman take the controls? It's like people think their damn vote is something to put up on a mantle or that it's a tshirt of their favorite political band. It's really a two minute, mail in contribution to a highering committee where it's already been narrowed down to two candidates.

I suppose some liberals think their activism in the fight to keep big money out of politics reaches its zenith once every four years and focuses soley on the executive office. I would love to watch Bernie go to work on it, but the real change is sitting on a desk in a senate bill right now. The real choice will happen a couple hundred times over when people find congressional representation that isn't a bad joke and when we all get on the phone to let our representatives know that there are bills worth signing right now that could help fight corruption.

Needless to say I was venting my frustration, but trust me, plenty of folks think voting for Clinton is a cop out.  Someone I know posted on Facebook that Hillary flip flopped on coal (she definitely did, after fucking up in front of one group she tried to mend a fence or two in WV.), but then went on to say he wasn't voting for her anyway.  The supposed polls that Bernie would beat Trump easier than Hillary I believe are bullshit at this point.  No one has actually gone after Bernie in the way they have gone after Hillary since he isn't nearly as big a public figure as she is and hasn't had the missteps she has had either.  If Bernie actually was the nominee he would clearly be painted as a Communist (we know he is merely a Social Democrat, but that hardly matters).  This is a sad-ass election to be sure.  So people can clearly vote for Jill Klein of the Green (actually white) Party or go even deeper into the non-candidates if they choose.  But the ultimate bottom line as we all get sick of talking about is the Supreme Court for the next 20 years and a do nothing Congress that is going to eat even Hillary alive unless there is a whole lot of turnover.  

Did I say this?  Having lived through Nixon, Reagan and two Bushes I guess we can make it through a Trump too.

LouieB

I am hardly  making sense.  This is a horrible election and every time I see Hillary I get a little more down on her and the entire process, although honestly I don't think she is all that bad, compared to the rest of the boys who did or continue to run.  Someone posted a really stupid and dishonest internet meme of a woman with a basked of skulls saying this is what you are buying if you vote for Hillary. Yea, sure Hillary is a bit hawkish for my taste, but let's be honest, if she didn't act bad ass no one would take the first serious woman running for president seriously.  They don't call the President the "Leader of the Free World" or "The  Commander In Chief" for no reason.  Barack got the fucking Nobel Peace Prize and that has not stopped him from continuing to send out troops, drones, and all the rest.  Hell, if Bernie got to be President you can bet he would also continue some of these policies as well.  The only reason he hardly talks about this (and again I support him) is because he doesn't really know that much about foreign policy and would rather come across as not being interested in this shit because if he appears weak on national security or a peacenik (old expression) he loses and if he starts to talk about the horrible condition of the world land what our military is going to do about it, he loses too. 

This is all very fucked up, so Hillary is left holding the ball on what the hell to do with the world in flames that the next president is going to inherit.  Who needs this shit?  We know what the GOP is going to do. Or do we?  Trump could end up being the biggest isolationist since Rand Paul.

LouieB

I am hardly  making sense.  This is a horrible election and every time I see Hillary I get a little more down on her and the entire process, although honestly I don't think she is all that bad, compared to the rest of the boys who did or continue to run.  Someone posted a really stupid and dishonest internet meme of a woman with a basked of skulls saying this is what you are buying if you vote for Hillary. Yea, sure Hillary is a bit hawkish for my taste, but let's be honest, if she didn't act bad ass no one would take the first serious woman running for president seriously.  They don't call the President the "Leader of the Free World" or "The  Commander In Chief" for no reason.  Barack got the fucking Nobel Peace Prize and that has not stopped him from continuing to send out troops, drones, and all the rest.  Hell, if Bernie got to be President you can bet he would also continue some of these policies as well.  The only reason he hardly talks about this (and again I support him) is because he doesn't really know that much about foreign policy and would rather come across as not being interested in this shit because if he appears weak on national security or a peacenik (old expression) he loses and if he starts to talk about the horrible condition of the world land what our military is going to do about it, he loses too. 

This is all very fucked up, so Hillary is left holding the ball on what the hell to do with the world in flames that the next president is going to inherit.  Who needs this shit?  We know what the GOP is going to do. Or do we?  Trump could end up being the biggest isolationist since Rand Paul.

LouieB

I have come to realize over the last couple of months that Bernie supporters believe that he has descended from heaven above to do what is right and Hillary is just pure evil and will continue to push our country further to the path of a corporate oligarchy.  And heaven forbid, if you happen to question what Sander's purposes you are labeled similarly.  In many ways Sanders and Trump two sides of the same coin.  

They are.  Bernie is our coin, but both camps are ever so slightly (or not so slightly) bat shit crazy.  I admire Bernie and certainly agree with some of the sentiment about Hillary, but the job remains President of the US of A, not some benevolent and all knowing Greek god that can do no wrong.  Bernie needs to stay in until the end and then read his minions the fucking riot act.  Trump is a genuine shit show.  At least Hillary is somewhat concerned about her image and constituency and will be subject to the opinions and pressure from that constituency.  While Trump is not a real conservative, he is a real nut job.

LouieB 

One of my longest friendships is with a guy who started following Maitreya some years back, and he now believes that Sanders is a divine savior, which he calls "the Avatar."  Or conversely, and depending on who he's talking to, a Sanders presidency will open some sort of portal that brings forth the Avatar.

One of my longest friendships is with a guy who started following Maitreya some years back, and he now believes that Sanders is a divine savior, which he calls "the Avatar."  Or conversely, and depending on who he's talking to, a Sanders presidency will open some sort of portal that brings forth the Avatar.

Well that's heartening.

Well that's strange.  Despite everything Bernie is just a politician, not a savior.  Beware of false prophets.

Once again, this stupid ass election can't be over soon enough and we still have a couple months until the conventions.   This fall is going to be some ugly shit.

LouieB

I voted for Bernie in the primary, but he still lost FL by a wide margin. I agree with you guys about the nutter factor; one of my high school friends posts 10 times a day on Facebook about Hil, making it sound like she is the Antichrist. People need to grow the fuck up and recognize that unless ALL of the Bernie supporters get behind her and vote, we will be faced with the ultimate shit show of President...damn, I can't even write it. This election should be a no brainer, but this being America, it will not be a landslide.

I don't see much downside to voting for Clinton. You get big Bill back, call it a twofer. Things were pretty good in the 90s, and though he moved too far right with NAFTA, he and Hil are two of the most respected politicians in the world. There has never been a ticket with more experience, and she hasn't even picked a running mate. Kind of hope she picks Warren as a sop to the left. Warren will clean Drumpf's clock on Twitter every day.

I'd call that quite a large downside.

Care to elaborate? I wanna know if it just your love of guns that will cause you to vote for a serial liar, bigot, and misogynist. Or is there something else?

It seems at this point Trump doesn't really have any set values and the only consistent thing about his policy statements is how wildly inconsistent they are. I guess there is his "wall" which is such laughable pandering joke and will never in a million work.

Clinton is not perfect, but really you are OK with a man such as Trump?

Kevin doesn't always give the most seductive invitation across the aisle.... but I'm curious too.

I don't recall Hixter mentioning any support for Trump.  Most people in the center, left, or right have been criticizing NAFTA. People on the left dislike his welfare reform and prison policies.  People on the right.... I'm not sure.  Clinton seems like a fairly conservative figure to me.  He slashed budgets and got the U.S. back in black like ACDC.

Kevin doesn't always give the most seductive invitation across the aisle.... but I'm curious too.

I don't recall Hixter mentioning any support for Trump.

Back a couple of pages Hixter said something like Clinton's recent comments on guns and his foreign policy speech makes him less sick about voting for Trump. I would link, but I am doing this on my phone and that is hard. Search back you will find it.

It is too bad Hixter is unwilling to defend his support of Trump, or at least further explain why Trump is better than Clinton. I guess his silence is its own explanation. Maybe he is embarrassed, I certainly would be if I threw my lot in with the likes of Trump.