Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the debates will be jaw-dropping hilarious.

Indeed.

Re the Kevin G/Hixter beef: I don't believe it is possible to explain rationally how the country would be better off with a Trump, rather than a Clinton, presidency. Unless someone is the stereotypical ignorant rube or will personally benefit from a Trump presidency in a significant way, i.e. financially, it boggles my mind that anyone prefers him. This is beyond partisan politics.

There is no reasonable debate with some of you since you demean any that disagree with you by charging racism, being a rube, etc. The intolerance that I see is from the left, not the right.

Apart from immigration, Trump and Bernie are pretty close. One can be for controlling the border without being racist. By the way, Mexico is refusing to take in the Cuban refugees from Panama. Typical hypocrisy.

I think Trump wins this election going away.

One can be for controlling the border without being racist.

True, but are you suggesting that Donald Trump is not racist?

By the way, Mexico is refusing to take in the Cuban refugees from Panama. Typical hypocrisy.

I don't know that the Mexican government is at the forefront of advocating for illegal immigrants in the U.S.

Even if they were, what are you advocating here.... eye for an eye ethics?

There is no reasonable debate with some of you since you demean any that disagree with you

I think this is fair.  I've seen it happen.

I think Trump is shooting from the hip and captured the mood of the majority of the country that is against open borders. It is what propelled him to an improbable win. I have not heard Trump being considered a bigot until his immigration rhetoric. No, I do not think he is bigot. Obnoxious, he'll yeah.

As for Mexico, my point is that the country that gets mad if any leader from the US tries to stop rampant border crossing is in turn unwilling to help immigrants by allowing them into their own country.

Hell yeah. I hate auto correct

I think Trump is shooting from the hip and captured the mood of the majority of the country that is against open borders. It is what propelled him to an improbable win. I have not heard Trump being considered a bigot until his immigration rhetoric. No, I do not think he is bigot. Obnoxious, he'll yeah.

So we can get behind Trump, if we don't believe what he says?

I don't know that the Mexican government is at the forefront of advocating for illegal immigrants in the U.S.

They've even gone as far as to distribute pamphlets instructing illegal immigrants on how to cross rivers and deserts and how to avoid being caught by the authorities. They also loudly decry the deportation of those who are caught, many of whom have criminal records.

The Mexican government essentially wants their citizens to have free access to the United States, while blocking immigrants into their own nation. Although when those immigrants inevitably arrive, the government is quick to shoo them north across the Rio Grande.

They've even gone as far as to distribute pamphlets instructing illegal immigrants on how to cross rivers and deserts and how to avoid being caught by the authorities. They also loudly decry the deportation of those who are caught, many of whom have criminal records.

Evidence?

Interesting (thanks for indulging).  One notable fact is that the pamphlet controversy happened a decade ago.  I wouldn't doubt the Mexican government issues statements supporting the safety and welfare of its citizens who choose to cross the border.  I would if I were president of a nation.

What's interesting is the rhetoric is hitting a new high from the right while immigration from Mexicans is hitting a ten year low. By the numbers this damned liberal Obama administration has had a tougher immigration policy than Bush.  http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/20/what-we-know-about-illegal-immigration-from-mexico/

None of this seems to offer much credit to Mr. Trump's immigration policy ideas.

I wouldn't doubt the Mexican government issues statements supporting the safety and welfare of its citizens who choose to cross the border.

They're doing it because Mexico's second-largest source of income is remittances sent from individuals in the United States to family members in Mexico. Like most things, it all comes down to money and/or power.

What's interesting is the rhetoric is hitting a new high from the right while immigration from Mexicans is hitting a ten year low.

The majority of immigrants these days are from other Central American countries, not Mexico, but the Mexican government is happy to see them leave Mexico for the United States. I wouldn't laud Obama's immigration policy, since deportations continue to drop and people continue to stream across the border and agents are almost powerless to stop them. I have friends who own ranches in south Texas and this crisis affects them on an almost daily basis. Illegal immigrants cut their fences (expensive) and their cattle run off (even more expensive). The illegals break windows, steal food, ransack buildings and literally shit on the floors. Then there's always the danger of coming across a human/drug smuggling operation and getting shot on your own property.

I've had friends in bands who were turned away at the Canadian border because of years-old petty convictions like DUI. But here we are turning a blind eye -- and even encouraging -- criminals and uneducated men, women and children, to enter our country and have a path to citizenship and access to taxpayer-paid medical and financial support. And let's face it, American politicians aren't encouraging them out of the kindness of their heart, they're doing it because they see millions of future votes. As I said, money and power...

You see what happens when you use something that's true for some people to be true for their group. It'd be like me saying white male gun enthusiasts shoot up schools. True in a sense but perhaps not a fair way to approach the subject of white guys with guns.

The real question is, as someone who feels passionate about illegal immigration, do you feel confidence in a candidate who wishes to spend 20 billion on a wall that will bring up a bunch of eminent domain issues with your cattle rancher buddies?

The real question is, as someone who feels passionate about illegal immigration, do you feel confidence in a candidate who wishes to spend 20 billion on a wall that will bring up a bunch of eminent domain issues with your cattle rancher buddies?

I am not at all passionate about illegal immigration; I'd say I'm lukewarm at best. It's really just a case of being perturbed by government officials who decide willy-nilly which laws they want to enforce and which they don't --- for political reasons.

I don't think Donald Trump has spent even a single minute seriously considering the construction of a wall. It's all hot air.

Again, support for Trump means putting faith in him not saying what he means.  Clinton's times of being disingenuous are a reason to critique her (which is reasonable), whereas many people are depending on Trump being disingenuous.  That's a strange case to make to vote for a candidate: Don't worry, he's lying- it'll be fine.

That's a strange case to make to vote for a candidate: Don't worry, he's lying- it'll be fine.

I'd say it's actually a good rule of thumb to assume they're lying when considering any candidate during election season. Trump isn't going to build a wall, Sanders isn't going to everyone a free ride on the backs of the rich and Hillary isn't going to take on Wall Street.

I don't think Donald Trump has spent even a single minute seriously considering the construction of a wall any policy whatsoever. It's all hot air.

Fixed it for you.

Aside from the horrible person that Trump is, his policy positions seem to be an exercise in free jazz rather than coherent statements. In recent interviews and speeches he contradicts himself and his policies. Honestly I don't know what his policies are.

So again, Republican voters, are willing to support a man who believe is not only lying to the American people, he believes the American people are stupid enough to believe he can get it done.

I'd say it's actually a good rule of thumb to assume they're lying when considering any candidate during election season. Trump isn't going to build a wall, Sanders isn't going to everyone a free ride on the backs of the rich and Hillary isn't going to take on Wall Street.

Fairly cynical view of politics. Why vote for anyone then?

The data suggests it is not a good rule of thumb to assume candidates are lying.

SUPER interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  We form opinions on this based on attitudes and feelings.  It's good to have some information in the mix.  It turns out the 80's were not a good time for political integrity.

I think the primary reason Drumpf won't release his tax returns is because they would reveal he's not as rich as he wants us to think he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it might show that he donated to some liberal organizations.