Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that I could remain friends with someone once I found out that they consider Sarah Palin a serious politician that needs to be running the country. I can't imagine having enough in common with a person as described above to even want to become or be their friend prior to knowing about their Palin love. I wouldn't even consider someone like that an acquaintance, other than in the most literal sense, as in, "Yes. I know that idiot, so technically, I am acquainted with them". In all seriousness, are you really friends with them? And if so, how (and why) do you do it?

I live in a very conservative area. One person I know travels any time he and his wife have the opportunity to hear her speak. They've gone up to 1,000 miles to hear her talk. Other than being very far apart on politics these are very nice people whose kids grew up with my kids.

My sis in law said that she would seriously consider voting for Palin for president. Right now her and her husband are solidly behind Cruz and Trump who both make total sense to them.

It's kind of weird because in 2000 some tea party types ( before the actual t party. These were no compromise take no prisoners types who steam rolled anyone who got in their way) took over the county board, and the republican and democrat parties worked together to put forth a slate of canfidates (D&R) to get those clowns out. Now all offices in the county are held by Republicans and the Tea Party way of thinking is the dominant way of thinking. Things changed pretty quick.

Edit... The only people I shut out or shut down are the ones who can't string two sentences together without bringing up how much they hate Obama, or how liberals have f'd up this or that. There's only a few who exhale their politics with every breath so I don't shut out many people.

Rumor is Elizabeth Warren is jumping on the Bernie ticket as vp. That'd be cool.

If that were true there would be little foreign policy experience on the ticket.  The knock against both Bernie and Warren is they have no foreign policy experience.  

At this point it is only speculation, VP are not picked until the nominations are wrapped up.   

Also I don't think she would actually do it (either for Bernie or Hillary).  She is an incredible voice in the Senate and would not be tied to the agenda of the president.  It would be a poor move for her politically.  

All good points. I was thinking if it came to pass it might mute some of her efficacy, as vps don't seem to truly do all that much. Nonetheless, symbolically she would help make a ticket that would take on corporate America at a historic level.

Im going to guess that the coverage of this in the right wing media will be minimal to non-existent.

Seems to be their M.O. something goes against their narrative pretend it does not exist. Looking at you Iran prisoner release.

I wonder what Fiorina has to say about this.

How was the debate last night?

Although I am a Bernie supporter I am so tempted to vote for O'Malley.  (depending on how it is going by the time our primary comes around.)

LouieB

How was the debate last night?

Although I am a Bernie supporter I am so tempted to vote for O'Malley.  (depending on how it is going by the time our primary comes around.)

LouieB

There was a debate last night?  

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is the worst DNC chair.  She is such a shill for Clinton.     

If the Republicans win the White House most of the blame will go to her.  

He's a pretty reasonable guy.  I keep saying I love the alternate universe where the election is O'Malley vs. Kasich.  That could be a levelheaded election year.  Also I think being a governor has more in common with being president than being a senator.

yeah, and our idiot governor is undeterred.  it's like living in an old Daily Show sketch

Yes. The response from Abbott, Patrick, and other state politicians has been amazing and ridiculous. I just can't tell if it's willful ignorance or simple pandering or something else entirely.

Out of our 44 Presidents, only 17 (18 if you count Clevland twice) have previously held the office of governor http://governors.rutgers.edu/on-governors/us-governors/governors-and-the-white-house/governors-who-became-president.  Of those 17 men it is a mix bag on how "great" or their effectiveness was as President.  There were some truly great Presidents (FDR, Teddy, Jefferson) some truly terrible (GWB, Andrew Johnson) and the rest meh.  

So the notion that a governor makes a great, good, or acceptable president because of executive office experience really does not ring true.  And is further shown by the Terrible Governor > Great President lines you all have been spewing.  

The one thing that is true that there never has been a president who has only come from the private sector (ie no political or military command experience).