Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have assumed that the Motor City Madman would have been all about The Donald... No invitation to speak/rant at the RNC?

I could be wrong, but I remember reading that his tour schedule wouldn't allow it.

Yeah, the conversation quickly became obsolete when HRC clearly had more regular delegates anyways. I suppose if the GOP used super delegates they may have sidestepped the whole Trump conundrum.

There's no avoiding the fact that both the DNC's super delegates and the GOP's winner take all states are further tempering an already indirect form of democracy.

Why do people think the party system is some sort of democracy? The political parties are private entities who can conduct their nominations really anyway they please. There is nothing in the Constitution about the primary process.

Sure there is an illusion of democracy in the primaries, with the whole voting thing, but that is about it.

There were issues with super delegates in 08, too. It would behoove the Democrats to tweak it a bit. The major problem this go around was Wasserman Schultz and how she ran things. She was working so closely with Clinton in the past, that the Democrats should have had a more impartial person in that position, going into the primaries.

Plus, I don't think the Party really thought Clinton was going to have any real challenge - so they didn't give any thought in having Schultz in the position - which is a problem in itself.

The email and voice mail leaks didn't help matters, but the leaks only confirmed what we all knew. 

Interesting in the week post convention there is been nary a peep from the Clinton / Kaine team.

Have the even been out on the campaign trail?  Are they giving Trump enough rope to hang himself?  I fear if they give him too much he could land safely on the ground.  

So far the strategy of standing back and watching him shoot himself in the foot repeatedly had worked well. So far he's insulted the family of a fallen soldier, a well regarded fire marshal and a baby.

Don't forget that he insulted the capital of Pennsylvania too...

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-harrisburg-war-zone-226591

Hell of a week.

Helluva 24 hours.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/first-read-gop-trump-go-unraveling-break-glass-mode-n622116

• In a Washington Post interview, Trump declined to endorse House Speaker Paul Ryan against his primary challenger
  • He reiterated that he hasn't endorsed Sen. John McCain and said the onetime prisoner of war "has not done a good job for the vets"
  • He slapped out at Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte, saying "she has given me zero support"
  • He suggested that Americans should pull their 401(k) funds out of the stock market
  • He said he's "always wanted" to receive a Purple Heart but that having one gifted to him by a supporter was "much easier"
  • He said that the handling of sexual harassment has "got to be up to the individual"
  • He accused Khizr Khan of being "bothered" by his plan to keep terrorists out of the country, and said that he had no regrets about his clash with the family
  • He appeared to feud with a crying baby during a rally
  • He reiterated that "if the election is rigged, I would not be surprised"
  • The sitting president of the United States publicly called Trump "unfit to serve" and urged Republicans to withdraw their support for him.
  • Trump spokesman Katrina Pierson suggested that Obama and Clinton are to blame for the death of Humayan Khan, who died in 2004, when neither were in the executive branch at the time
  • An ally of Paul Manafort told our colleague John Harwood at CNBC that the campaign chairman is "mailing it in," leaving the rest of the staff "suicidal."
  • Sitting GOP congressman Richard Hanna, HP head Meg Whitman and former Christie aide Maria Comella all said they plan to vote for Hillary Clinton
  • The Washington Post released a transcript of its full interview with Trump, indicating among other things that he paused five times to watch TV coverage in the middle of the sit-down
  • A GOP source told NBC's Katy Tur that Reince Priebus is "apoplectic" over Trump's refusal to endorse Ryan and is making calls to the campaign to express his "extreme displeasure"

The point that the parties are not public, but private organizations is well taken.  All four of the major (??!?!?!) candidates have said or are saying totally wacky shit, particularly the third party candidates who have even less to lose than the Dems and GOP.  

I'm going to admit to something; I never had strong feelings about either of the Democratic candidates, yet voted for Bernie because I figured an insurgent was just what the party needed since Hillary was certainly being favored and Bernie was saying things that seemed reasonable and more progressive.  Had I known that there would be so many sore losers in the Bernie camp, I'm not sure I would have gone that way.  

Also at this point even with the defections from the Dems to the third parties (or to Trump - shudder), Hillary is picking up steam from the middle and is going to do just fine.  Places like Georgia and Utah are leaning blue.  And the actual swing states are probably going to go her way at this point.  I don't believe Trump really wants to be president or else he is so fucking nuts that he figures he can say anything and still win.

LouieB

Add this to the tally as well. 

This one might top them all. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/scarborough-trump-nukes_us_57a1e47ae4b0693164c347d0

Why can't we use nukes? Really?

Yeah I saw that one as well. Really, really chilling. It almost makes me wonder if he became president and ordered some sort of nuclear attack that there would be a military coup. And which would be worse? A military coup in the U.S. (?!?!?!) or a completely fucked up, ill-advised military attack in Syria, Libya or Iraq?

As a simple tally Hillary won the popular vote.  Without the superdelegates (which I think eveyone now thinks is goofy), she still would have won.

that is true, but it's also true that many of the SDs pledged for Hillary just as the race was starting, and the totals made it look really lopsided in her favor, when in fact it wasn't. people like to hop on the winner's wagon, and i think that definitely had some effect.

that is true, but it's also true that many of the SDs pledged for Hillary just as the race was starting, and the totals made it look really lopsided in her favor

I am a party insider, given the prestige as a Super-delegate.  Who should I pledge my support for?  A long time Democrat, who has been groomed for this job for the last two decades?  Or should give it to a Senator who is not a democrat and other than voting with my party in the Senate does nothing to help or fund raise?  

I am surprised that what the DNC did in the primaries is such a big deal or that much of a shock to people.  Bernie is NOT a Democrat, he is an independent.  Of course the superdelgates weren't going to support him.  Of course the Democratic machine is going to be against him.  Bernie new this, the supporters should have know this too.  It doesn't make it right, but it is not surprising.  

I'm going to admit to something; I never had strong feelings about either of the Democratic candidates, yet voted for Bernie because I figured an insurgent was just what the party needed since Hillary was certainly being favored and Bernie was saying things that seemed reasonable and more progressive.  Had I known that there would be so many sore losers in the Bernie camp, I'm not sure I would have gone that way.  

LouieB

I am a party insider, given the prestige as a Super-delegate.  Who should I pledge my support for?  A long time Democrat, who has been groomed for this job for the last two decades?  Or should give it to a Senator who is not a democrat and other than voting with my party in the Senate does nothing to help or fund raise?  

I am surprised that what the DNC did in the primaries is such a big deal or that much of a shock to people.  Bernie is NOT a Democrat, he is an independent.  Of course the superdelgates weren't going to support him.  Of course the Democratic machine is going to be against him.  Bernie new this, the supporters should have know this too.  It doesn't make it right, but it is not surprising.  

I don't consider myself one of the sore losers.  We also went for all that hope and change 8 years ago, why couldn't we also be expected to go for a political revolution this time?  Wasn't Hillary supposed to be the shoo-in 8 years ago?  She got beat, to me it doesn't mean shes up next.

Apologies if this has been posted already (the original article is from July 24), but if Kaine's truly a 'Mats fan, then I'm all in.

http://pitchfork.com/news/67032-tim-kaine-clintons-vp-pick-is-a-replacements-fan/

This bodes well. I'm even happier about the election now. Thanks.

Apologies if this has been posted already (the original article is from July 24), but if Kaine's truly a 'Mats fan, then I'm all in.

http://pitchfork.com/news/67032-tim-kaine-clintons-vp-pick-is-a-replacements-fan/

At first I read that as Mets fan.  If he was a Mets fan, I might have to vote Trump.  

But 'Mats.  Hell yeah!  Maybe Paul and the boys can play one of the balls.  

Or at least on Nov 8th we can hear this:

https://youtu.be/ePZ4UTG7O_g

Well, that didnt take long.  Victor Thorne, who has some connection to the Clinton's, committed suicide yesterday and the right wing internet is already abuzz with "Clinton killed another one" crap.  I expect Trump to weigh in on this before the weekend is out.

Well, that didnt take long. Victor Thorne, who has some connection to the Clinton's, committed suicide yesterday and the right wing internet is already abuzz with "Clinton killed another one" crap. I expect Trump to weigh in on this before the weekend is out.

I don't usually speak ill of the dead, but when someone writes a book like this

https://www.amazon.com/Holocaust-Hoax-Exposed-Victor-Thorn/dp/1467506389, I consider them a grade A asshole.

I can't see how Trump could align himself in anyway with him.

I'll bet he's (Trump) read thorns other books, the ones that got thorn killed by crooked Hillary.

Trump finds ways to ignore inconvenient stuff like the book you linked to. What matters is that thorn wrote books critical of the clintons and they killed him for it.

They didn't really kill thorn, I'm just anticipating..,