Politics 2016 (election edition)

Just to be fair, he didn't necessarily imply assassinate Hillary, he could have been referring to judges.

His campaign released a non- denial of violence/condemnation of the press. The press who simply reported his exact words. The video is interesting for the reactions of the audience, especially those sitting behind him.

What is a non-denial of violence?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their statement said the media is to blame, and they didn't disavow the use of violence against opponents. Probably could have had a better choice of words on my part, but this whole event has blown my mind once again. Regardless, this sort of rhetoric is what some people believe is presidential and is the type of leader they want. Their media choices have led them here as has the culture of bad ass we have cultivated Dirty Harry, Die Hard, Steven Segal's shit movies etc...

Their statement said the media is to blame, and they didn't disavow the use of violence against opponents. Probably could have had a better choice of words on my part, but this whole event has blown my mind once again. Regardless, this sort of rhetoric is what some people believe is presidential and is the type of leader they want. Their media choices have led them here as has the culture of bad ass we have cultivated Dirty Harry, Die Hard, Steven Segal's shit movies etc...

Let's take the campaign's word.  He was joking or was misinterpreted when he inferred violence against Clinton/Justices, or that Russia should hack his political opponent, or that McCain was a war hero only because he was captured, or that Megan Kelley was menstruating, or that time he mocked a reporter with a disability, or the recent comments on Cpt Kahn's family, so on and so forth.  There is a pattern emerging.  He says something profoundly stupid and then clarification is needed.  It is not a new thing with him.  If he is elected president he will need to speak to the American People, to leaders of foreign countries, to the World.  A misconstrued statement could potentially mean disaster for our nation.  We cannot have a President who is in constant need of clarification.

But of course this does not matter to 45% of the people out there.  They will vote for Trump, because of the false notion that Clinton is going to take away their guns, or that she is going to let Terrorists into this country unchecked, or pick another GOP false talking point.

The sad part of all this is, is that the majority of folks DO think there should be more gun control, but if Hillary is characterized as being anti-2nd amendment the pro folks are going to come out in droves.  I have a friend who predicted that if this race comes down to gun control Hillary will lose.  

From my Facebook feed there are a large(ish) group of anti Trump and also anti Hillary folks who believe that voting third party (although the Greens are only on the ballot in 23 states at the moment I believe) is the way to go.  Adding up all of Hillary's deficits seems like a better idea than voting for her to keep Trump out of the White House.  As I have said, if we get Trump (and it appears a whole bunch of non-ideological folks are veering away from him) we may actually survive him, but personally I am not risking it.

Oh yea- Repeal the Second Amendment!! 

LouieB

If he is elected president he will need to speak to the American People, to leaders of foreign countries, to the World.  A misconstrued statement could potentially mean disaster for our nation.  We cannot have a President who is in constant need of clarification.

I was basically coming on here today to post a longer version of this. In a weird way, I want him to keep shoving his tiny feet into his big mouth, as he still has the potential to alienate even more people over the next few months...people who are currently planning on voting for him. Even Joe Scarborough disavowed him this morning. That's a good start.

On the other hand, I can't help thinking that if you're so inarticulate that you constantly need an army of staffers to come out and "explain" your latest asinine statement/gaffe/non-sequitur, then maybe you shouldn't be anywhere in public with a live fucking microphone in front of you. Wanker.

This is why I think that people who speak their mind, or who have common sense solutions, or simple solutions to complex problems should not hold office. We live in a very complex world where words and deeds matter and have ramifications.

I can't remember if I heard it hear or somewhere else, but this campaign and Trump in particular, are going to make the next couple seasons of South Park hillareous.

On the other hand, I can't help thinking that if you're so inarticulate that you constantly need an army of staffers to come out and "explain" your latest asinine statement/gaffe/non-sequitur, then maybe you shouldn't be anywhere in public with a live fucking microphone in front of you. Wanker.

The main line of defense from Trump supporters is that the media is being unfair to him.  Which I can see in away.  But it is not like this his first gaff, this is the way the man operates, he has done it through out his life.  He will insinuate things, purposely or not.  The media is reporting what he is saying.  

An example of the media being unfair to him would be if after his economic speech where he accidentally said "titties" instead of cities and calling him sexist because of that.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJigwEikRwY  Reporting what you say is not being unfair.  

The most unfortunate thing about Donald Trump right now is that Clinton has been so greatly overshadowed.  Her policies and ever her foibles (did you even know that a bunch of her emails came out, some of them no so flattering) are being swept under the rug.  The American people are not getting a clear picture of what she would be like as a president.  Do we know if she is still keeping the progressive ideas of Bernie, or has she tacked to the center?  I wonder if at this point the media just stopped reporting on the stupid shit Trump says what would happen.  Or is it important that they continually show this man as the unhinged person he is? 

Yep, if the media were not pre occupied with Trump (did he really ask coal miners if they had visited his resorts and wineries?) they would be focused more on Hillary reporting things like her email and Benghazi these things have not been covered at all. Really Hillary could take a few weeks off and just let Trump talk unchallenged, I think she would still rise in the polls.

An example of the media being unfair to him would be if after his economic speech where he accidentally said "titties" instead of cities and calling him sexist because of that.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJigwEikRwY  Reporting what you say is not being unfair.  

:rotfl

I never knew he did that. He must have been daydreaming about one of the pageants.

Funniest thing I've seen all day. Thanks for sharing it.

Read an article about the possibility of more DNC emails coming out. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/us/politics/democratic-party-russia-hack-cyberattack.html

This board is mostly pro Clinton, but I was wondering, would there be anything that could come out in those emails that would stop you from voting for Clinton?

I'm not necessarily pro Clinton (I will vote for her, but voting in IL makes my vote redundant - I have no fear of Trump taking this state), but it would have to be something completely egregious and illegal for me to not vote for her. 

And if that were the case, I'd be completely depressed, because a Trump presidency would make me a stranger in a strange land. 

Read an article about the possibility of more DNC emails coming out. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/us/politics/democratic-party-russia-hack-cyberattack.html

This board is mostly pro Clinton, but I was wondering, would there be anything that could come out in those emails that would stop you from voting for Clinton?

I'll 2nd that Winston.  I'm voting for Clinton as the lesser of the two evils.  My vote in Indiana is pointless this round, but I could never look myself in a mirror again if I voted for Drumpf.  She's a career politician that lies when its good for her.  Drumpf just plain lies.  The emails would have to show illegal activity for me too, then my vote would go to a write it.

Arizona and North Carolina are still touch and go, and as polling has shown in the last few months, polls change a lot from time to time.  That said, if the map comes out close to this in November we won't have much to worry about.

wp-1467240197307.png

If it was any other year - I may have issues voting for Clinton. As long as she isn't in the pokey or indicted, she will get my vote.  I can't take a chance to vote for a third party, because a third party doesn't have a chance of winning - unfortunately it is between Trump and Clinton.

I don't think Clinton has done any illegal -- unethical, definitively. And she definitely has used poor judgement when comes to the whole server thing.

Arizona and North Carolina are still touch and go, and as polling has shown in the last few months, polls change a lot from time to time.  That said, if the map comes out close to this in November we won't have much to worry about.

wp-1467240197307.png

This former Minnesotan is not pleased with not having the northern-most point in the lower 48 on this cool looking hexagonal map

My wife claims our progressive state of Georgia is blue.  Hope against hope.  At this point I can't think of a better chance for a party (D) to really do something good that unites the country and helps out in a real tangible way.