Politics 2016 (election edition)

Once at a football game, I had just finished talking with a friend, and spaced out the fact that I had a cap on my head as the national anthem started.

A guy in front me, VERY angrily, said "remove your hat...show some respect"!

It kind of rattled me and pissed me off for a second. I had no ill intent. At all.

But thinking about it, I quickly appreciated what he said.

I have no problem with Kaepernick or whoever wanting to shine a light on injustice. I just think sitting during the national anthem specifically, especially during an NFL game, is disrespectful, and I have no problem with people booing him. 

It's cool he's giving LOTS of money to groups that support his cause. I think all of his jersey sales....the 3rd highest...are going to groups as well. I think it'd be cool, and wise of him to also give money to veterans groups. 

Or maybe a better way to draw attention to his cause....he should WEAR HIS HELMET during game play.....y'know, because he'd normally be holding his helmet at his side while holding a clip board.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all pro athletes, NFL players are the most deserving of their salaries. The average career is only about 2-3 seasons and if they last longer than that their bodies and brains are often broken for life. It's a hell of a way to make a living.

ha, hilarious to see people advocating for the overpaid privileged people. It doesn't matter if their are an owner or a athlete. Go watch your sports to distract you from the real world!

I'm no advocate. People are paid what the market pays them.

I don't know a life that's free of attractive distractions from the "real world." I indulge in the distractions because I'm not a great man.

You're on the internet mocking me you privileged prick.

I just think sitting during the national anthem specifically, especially during an NFL game, is disrespectful, and I have no problem with people booing him.

This is what I'm grappling with (a lot of people feel the way you do): Why is it especially disrespectful at an NFL game? Is the NFL American church? Would it be easier to accept at a soccer game?

His ability to do it and not get thrown in jail is what makes this country a great place to live in.

I agree, and that's why I think it is an essentially American gesture.

Few, if any, are overpaid. Whoever is paying them believes that gaining that individual's employ will increase the payer's profit. The "huge" salary or wage is simply a necessary production cost of having that employee as a resource.

Same can be said for acting/actors, or music/musicians, yet people rarely do.

While a lot of professional "sports figures" make a lot of money, it's hard to say if they are overpaid or not when there is a market and surplus to pay them.....

Is Johnny Depp overpaid? Underpaid? Paid? How about the Wilco guys? 

Collegiate musicians and theatre majors are completely overpaid.

Did you hear how much the orchestra conductor at UConn got for a shoe endorsement deal with Hush Puppies?

I have no problem with Kaepernick or whoever wanting to shine a light on injustice. I just think sitting during the national anthem specifically, especially during an NFL game, is disrespectful, and

No it is not. He is sitting quietly and probably thinking about what this country means to him. He is respectfully refusing to stand for a country that he feels goes against his beliefs. It would be disrespectful if he made some scene or gesture during the Anthem. He is handling his protest with the utmost respect.

I wish the national anthem would stop being played before every single sporting event. Does baseball really need to play it before every game every single day? Do we really need to hear God Bless America every weekend in the middle of a baseball game? How about the anthem for each sport's opening day and that's it?

seems I may have hit a sore spot with some American football fans, enjoy your market based paid sports ball this weekend!

I didn't take it as sore, a few just disagreed. I totally see your cultural critique but the response was business, supply and demand for exceptional athletic talent.

Brandon Marshall knelt last night during the Anthem. Supposedly all the Seahawks will, too, on Sunday. As a human white guy, I don't care one way or another who stands or who kneels, who places their hand over their heart, who participates in The Pledge, who removes their cap, etc. I also don't think refusing to participate in these actions is opening up any major dialogue to address any social issues.

Yup.

I went to a High School Football game last night.  I arrived just as the Anthem was being played.  I was still under the bleachers at the time.  So, as you are suppose to do when you hear the Anthem, I stopped removed my hat and faced the general direction of the flag.  I was truly amazed how many people just went about their business, talking, getting food, signing up for cell phone plans, etc.  Also and tangential to this, it was "Patriot" night or something, which apparently gave the spectators the right to wear the American Flag in all sorts of manner (T-shirts, headbands, hell I even saw one person wear the flag as a friggin cape).  These actions are way more disrespectful then Kapernick's actions.  But no one is complaining about blatant disrespect that I saw last night.  These actions I saw last night are not uncommon to every sporting event I have attended. 

The more an more I think about it, people who have an issue with how Kapernick disrespected the flag (but don't have an issue with what he is protesting) are really using the flag as shield and have more of an issue of what Kapernick said rather than how he said it.  If he would have sat during the Anthem and then said nothing, no would have cared.  It was because after the game he made a point of saying why.  It was this that got people upset, not the fact he disrespected the flag.   

But again, who cares?  We place too much importance on our athletes and celebrities.  These people have one job to entertain me, I honestly don't care what they believe or do personally.  Why are we so concerned with Kapernick?   

This is what I'm grappling with (a lot of people feel the way you do): Why is it especially disrespectful at an NFL game? Is the NFL American church? Would it be easier to accept at a soccer game?

The NFL does a GREAT job of honoring veterans. Maybe it's partly because it's a physical sport and almost military-ish in how teams are run. Many, if not all teams, often have fly-overs using stealth bombers before the game while honoring veterans. To me....maybe I'm in the minority...the national anthem before a football game feels like a tribute to those who fought and fight for our country. That's all I think about...my dad or grandpa or family member or friend who was or is in the military.

I think the NFL should, like the NBA, instruct all players they must stand. But they don't. Kaepernick has his right to sit. And I....and many others...have the right to be offended by it. 

Gonna be VERY interesting tomorrow if Seattle sits, as I've heard they will. Sitting on the 15th anniversary of 9/11 is, in my opinion, not cool. 

The goddamn dumbest response was some NHL coach saying he'd bench a player for doing that. What the hell is there to be patriotic about if not freedom of expression, you dumb fuck?

i agree that Tortelli is a blow-hard asshole, but i think he was talking about if he coached the Olympic team, where 100% jingoistic participation is pretty much mandatory.

The NFL does a GREAT job of honoring veterans. Maybe it's partly because it's a physical sport and almost military-ish in how teams are run. Many, if not all teams, often have fly-overs using stealth bombers before the game while honoring veterans. To me....maybe I'm in the minority...the national anthem before a football game feels like a tribute to those who fought and fight for our country. That's all I think about...my dad or grandpa or family member or friend who was or is in the military.

I think the NFL should, like the NBA, instruct all players they must stand. But they don't. Kaepernick has his right to sit. And I....and many others...have the right to be offended by it. 

Gonna be VERY interesting tomorrow if Seattle sits, as I've heard they will. Sitting on the 15th anniversary of 9/11 is, in my opinion, not cool. 

And they get paid very well to do it. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25181085/nfl-teams-received-54-million-from-defense-department-in-last-4-years

Tortorella mentions the lives lost, both military and civilian, so that we might enjoy certain freedoms, so stand up to honor them. Use your freedom of speech when you're not wearing the team's uniform, because you're not a spokesman for the team. Don't put yourself above the team. ~paraphrased.

I already pegged Tortorella as an ass before this, but I have no issues with his sentiment. He's a time and place guy, which I get.

So, who has a problem with NFL players raising their fists during the national anthem?

Did they do it during the Anthem or afterward? I heard it was the latter.

If it was afterwards totally weak and meaningless. If it was during then it has a potential to become a more powerful symbol and action then what kapernick did. It was effective in '68