Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're missing her tactic here. When she said "half", that gave people who don't like to see themselves as xenophobes (or who actually know what the word means) a chance to say "That's not me, but some of those other guys.... ew." That might be a way to nudge a Republican who was holding their nose and fighting back vomit to stop short of pulling the cheetoh colored lever.

I don't know what that means in this context.

Let's say I'm an undecided voter. I'm leaning towards Trump. I hear Hillary say her "deplorables" quote. I ask myself, hey wait a second, is she talking about me? I kind of like Trump, but I was going to wait until I learn more about each candidate to decide who to vote for, and she just insulted the core of his voting block. Fuck her.

You think this scenario is a stretch. I don't. 

I think incorrectly. But of course that is what has been done with this statement and nearly every statement in this campaign. On both sides.

Perhaps therein proving the failure of the statement and the difficulty of trying to pitch anything in this Mike Judge meets Johnathan Swift political reality TV show.

I think incorrectly.  But of course that is what has been done with this statement and nearly every statement in this campaign.  On both sides.    

Well, it's either a gaffe or not.

You try telling the people (who may or may not be in the basket of deplorables) who are turned off/pissed off by what she said that they're incorrectly inferring something in her statement that's simply not there. 

Hell, I'm pissed off by her statement and I'll be voting for her!

Let's say I'm an undecided voter. I'm leaning towards Trump. I hear Hillary say her "deplorables" quote. I ask myself, hey wait a second, is she talking about me? I kind of like Trump, but I was going to wait until I learn more about each candidate to decide who to vote for, and she just insulted the core of his voting block. Fuck her.

You think this scenario is a stretch. I don't. 

I think the number of undecideds who are leaning towards Trump but will end up voting for Clinton is statistically insignificant. So, while that scenario could happen, it shouldn't be cause for concern.

I think the number of undecideds who are leaning towards Trump but will end up voting for Clinton is statistically insignificant. So, while that scenario could happen, it shouldn't be cause for concern.

Clinton had an 8 point lead in the polls at the beginning of August, which has dwindled to 2. 

I don't get people who want to vote FOR Hillary.

Do you know that most presidents make between 150 and 200 federal judge appointments in a four year term?  That alone is reason enough to vote FOR Clinton.

Yes, I believe her quote has had a negative effect on her image and her campaign. 

That's not what I asked.

Clinton said "basket of deplorables" on Friday.  The poll numbers you linked were released on Sunday, based on polling that took place before she said it.

So, again, do you think those numbers are what they are because of Clinton's "basket of deplorables" statement? 

That's not what I asked.

Clinton said "basket of deplorables" on Friday.  The poll numbers you linked were released on Sunday, based on polling that took place before she said it.

So, again, do you think those numbers are what they are because of Clinton's "basket of deplorables" statement? 

Does it matter? I think poll numbers that were gathered after she made the statement were affected by her statement. 

If you want to catch me in a GOTCHA, I concede. Uncle. 

Does it matter? I think poll numbers that were gathered after she made the statement were affected by her statement. 

If you want to catch me in a GOTCHA, I concede. Uncle. 

Haha, sorry if I came across that way.  Not my intent. Her comment might hurt her in the polls, but I don't know that existing polling reflects it yet. She'll probably also take a hit because the health rumors are gaining traction.  And the Matt Lauer forum probably did more harm than good.

Hillary's stances on issues line up mostly with my stances. That's why I'm voting for her. 

https://www.isidewith.com/political-quiz

Just for the heck of it I took this quiz.  Strangely Clinton and Stein are only a few percentage points different.  Go figure.  

No I already have said the difference between Clinton and Stein (the loser) is just a figment of the partisan left's imagination.  

LouIeB

Well, it's either a gaffe or not.

You try telling the people (who may or may not be in the basket of deplorables) who are turned off/pissed off by what she said that they're incorrectly inferring something in her statement that's simply not there. 

Hell, I'm pissed off by her statement and I'll be voting for her!

I am not sure why you are so pissed off.  It is a true statement.  There are many Trump supporters that are deplorable.  They are awful, awful people.  They are racists, they are bigots, they are homophones, they in general, suck.  She in no way said that all of Trump supporters are these things.  But there is a large segment that are.  As it was stated before, it is quite a leap to take that statement and push that to all supporters or conservatives.  

Frankly if you vote for Trump you may not be a racist, but you sure are willing to have someone who is and is supported by a racist lead our country.  What does that say about that person.  It is like if you went to see The Hammerskins in concert.  You might not believe in their message, and are only going for the music, but isn't it troubling the people you now associate with?    

I'm pissed off because I was hoping that Hillary would be a uniter. I want our president to be a uniter. She's going to be the president of the deplorables too. She can call homophobia, islamophobia, xenophobia, etc. all deplorable without saying that those people themselves are deplorable. 

Seems every other day there's some poll saying this or that.  I seriously question these due to the demographics, very small number of people polled and the location they are taken.  They mean little with the electoral system.  This fall the minority (Dems) will win the electorate and the GOP will scream the election was stolen.

I also think many people are just plan pissed at their voting options.  Many of us want a uniter.  We tried that 8 years ago and we see where we are now.   Voting because of the judges, the next President will nominate, IS THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON, to vote democrat this fall.