Politics 2016 (election edition)

I'm making a reference to dr b's comment referenced by Winston. The whole notion that JFK would not be a democrat by today's standards is bull shit pure and simple. I merely listed some of the things JFK signed into law (LBJ too), republicans today would reject almost all of what transpired during the JFK/LBJ era.

I should have added that the last bit was snark, but snark dies not play as well in print.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will certainly help get the African American vote.

LouieB

How can anyone look at what Trump and the birther issue and not say that it was a ploy to de-legitimize Obama's presidency?  An action that was only fueled by the color of his skin?

Trump should apologize to the President, not this self congratulatory bullshit:

“Hillary Clinton and her campaign of 2008 started the birther controversy,” Mr. Drumpf said. “I finished it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/17/us/politics/donald-trump-birther-obama.html?_r=0

I think we're missing her tactic here. When she said "half", that gave people who don't like to see themselves as xenophobes (or who actually know what the word means) a chance to say "That's not me, but some of those other guys.... ew." That might be a way to nudge a Republican who was holding their nose and fighting back vomit to stop short of pulling the cheetoh colored lever.

The tone of your email fits how I feel MANY Democrats think of Conservatives....they're dumb (don't know what xenophobe means) and fat (Cheetos reference).

I'm "undecided", but the condescending tone of Mrs. Clinton...as well as most Democrat/liberal voters....towards Republican voters MIGHT be enough to make me go vote Trump. I think many others feel the same way. 

There are MANY educated, not-fat voters who are GENUINELY perplexed. For MANY, Trump ain't no joke....and it's almost 100% because Hillary is the other choice. She is FAR from a candidate to WANT to go vote for. Compared to her husband, she has the charisma and likability of a bag of rocks.

What would all Wilco fans think if Candidate X said he/she would put HALF of all Wilco fans in a "basket of deplorables...fans of Backstreet Boys, fans of Michael McDonald, fans of Phil Collins solo material, and fans of Barry Manillow". I'd be offended even though I despise 3 of those artists (Manillow's great in my book). Hillary may have said "HALF", but nearly ALL are likely offended by the comment.

I keep saying she says half, not all. You can easily say to yourself "I'm not trying to ban Muslims. I don't think illegal immigrants are a bunch of rapists and murderers." No one is putting you in the basket.

As for me I'll happily take on any statement of half. It's either true or it ain't!

What would all Wilco fans think if Candidate X said he/she would put HALF of all Wilco fans in a "basket of deplorables...fans of Backstreet Boys, fans of Michael McDonald, fans of Phil Collins solo material, and fans of Barry Manillow". I'd be offended even though I despise 3 of those artists (Manillow's great in my book). Hillary may have said "HALF", but nearly ALL are likely offended by the comment.

I've never listened to Backstreet Boys, but all those other guys have some good songs. I'll bet half of Wilco fans would agree.

The next president of the USA will either be Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump, therefore it comes down to a single question that all eligible voters must ask themselves. "Do I want to live in a world where Donald Trump is the President of the United States?". If the answer is, "yes", then vote for Trump. But if the answer is "no", then there is no alternative. You must vote for Clinton.

The next president of the USA will either be Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump, therefore it comes down to a single question that all eligible voters must ask themselves. "Do I want to live in a world where Donald Trump is the President of the United States?". If the answer is, "yes", then vote for Trump. But if the answer is "no", then there is no alternative. You must vote for Clinton.

Well, I plan on continuing to live if Trump is elected. I want to live in this world, period. So, I should vote for Trump?

No registered voter who opts to vote has to vote for either, actually. 

I'm "undecided", but the condescending tone of Mrs. Clinton...as well as most Democrat/liberal voters....towards Republican voters MIGHT be enough to make me go vote Trump. I think many others feel the same way. 

Wait just a minute, you would consider voting Trump because of the condescending tone that Clinton, and your misinterpretation of her statement, not her actual statement?  

So because of Clinton's tone you might vote for a man, who is overly condescending in almost every speech and statement he gives?  Who does not give a large portion of this country any type of respect.  There are countless groups that he has belittled and ridiculed.  This man has built his entire brand on falsely propping himself up while putting those that he disagrees with down.  It is MO.  It is what he does.  

You may not like what Clinton said and how she said it, but ask yourself why are you holding her to a different standard then you do Trump?   

No registered voter who opts to vote has to vote for either, actually.

No shit. But if you are eligible to vote and truly don't want to live in a world where Trump is president, then the only things you can do to have an effect on avoiding that reality, is kill Trump, kill yourself, as Don (?) pointed out, or vote for Clinton

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/16/494231607/the-trump-campaign-s-birther-statement-a-close-reading

After declaring Obama to be a U.S. citizen Trump criticized Clinton for starting the issue in a move consistent with Trump's current "pants on fire" rating wherein Politifact has found his claims to be untruthful 70% of the time.

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/16/494231607/the-trump-campaign-s-birther-statement-a-close-reading

After declaring Obama to be a U.S. citizen Trump criticized Clinton for starting the issue in a move consistent with Trump's current "pants on fire" rating wherein Politifact has found his claims to be untruthful 70% of the time.

And people are upset about Clinton calling out some of Trump's supporters for their awful views?  This man has no respect for anyone.  But oh, Clinton hurt my feelings, cause she is condescending, so let's focus on that.  Jesus, I can't fathom what is going on here.   

Trump is a wretched, vile stain of a creature. Neither the press nor the left made him so.

This country is due for a split, hopefully without another civil war. There is a sharp enough divide in basic values at this point. They aren't simple political differences at this point, more like differing views about basic human rights. I don't think modern democrats and republicans would be able to draft a constitution together.

I would jump at the chance to live somewhere else if it were remotely ecomically feasible.

And people are upset about Clinton calling out some of Trump's supporters for their awful views?  This man has no respect for anyone.  But oh, Clinton hurt my feelings, cause she is condescending, so let's focus on that.  Jesus, I can't fathom what is going on here.   

It's called delusion and a complete misunderstanding of ideology.  In addition, any sort of cogent, fact-based argument tends to entrench left of center views even more.  My biggest concern is the fact that election politics are but a symptom of an economic/social system that requires such delusion.  Why else would the majority of us actually work to pay our employers to live on this planet?  It is unfathomable.  Attention is focused on who's worse while no attention is used to actually think about this lunacy. 

I encourage you to vote for the next president based on the judges they will nominate.  This is extremely important in today's' divisive world, more than anything else I can think of.