Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and another reason to consider Clinton besides all the Drumpf demagoguery http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/scientists-donald-trump_us_57e1ac04e4b0e80b1b9eda3d?section=&

The one thing that turned the tide for me, as far as being more than comfortable in voting for Clinton, is all her work she's done for children's legal rights. 

The first job she took after graduating from Yale Law School was to work for the Children's Defense Fund. That was enough to convince me. 

My exact words were, "I'm 'undecided', but the condescending tone of Mrs. Clinton...as well as most Democrat/liberal voters....towards Republican voters MIGHT be enough to make me go vote Trump."

"MIGHT" is bolded. It was a little tongue in cheek. Combining Obama's arrogance and dismissal of Trump, and Obama's seeming unawareness that he himself could possibly be causing any of the country's divide, along with Hillary's laughing-off of those who oppose her, is a bit irritating. There ARE people out here who wonder what it might be like to NOT have another 4 years of Obama, which is essentially what Hillary offers.

Trump seems narcissistic. And his rally personality is VERY hard to like. But I think he's a good guy. In one-on-one conversations he seems real. He seems to genuinely like people. Hillary doesn't seem to. The way Hillary speaks sounds like a mother telling you to go clean your room or go do your homework. That's not why I wouldn't vote for her, but it's impossible to overlook. I wasn't the biggest Bill Clinton fan, but that guy can connect! He has a true gift of communicating and leading. Obama's similar from a speaking standpoint, but I don't think Obama has the best leadership skills. Hillary has NEITHER skill in my opinion. She's on the far left spectrum of life issues, which is a little opposite of myself. I also don't trust her. Her bumbling of the server and emails and handling of information is concerning. She lumped half of the people voting for Trump into a basket of racists and homophobes and Islamaphobes, etc. I saw Bono on Charlie Rose. Bono  seems a good guy. Or at least TRIES to be a good guy. He's scared to death of a Trump victory. He said he's close to voicing his opinion which he claims he HATES doing. He doesnt want to tell people how to vote. He CLEARLY wants Clinton to win. But even he acknowledged that Trump voters shouldn't be discounted or ridiculed. Bono said their discontent is real. Bono doesn't think Trump is the answer, but admitted that the country has a few problems and he understands those who feel they need a change. For many, Trump IS that change....and for most of those people, they understand that's a little bit a roll of the dice. 

I think a Hillary presidency would do better at making ALL people feel loved....or at least she and the media would sell that belief FAR better than Trump would. Regardless, it'd be a GOOD thing.

I think a Trump presidency would be interesting. I don't think he'd piss off foreign leaders and start World War 3 like many would have you believe. He hasn't sold me at all, but I gotta admit it's pretty freaking impressive how he made shambles out of his Republican opposition, and has now made the Presidential race a near toss-up, when most assumed Hillary would win going away.

To keep thinks substantive, and policy focused, it's worth noting that a conservative think-tank found Trumps tax plan would put the government over a trillion into the red, and only effectively reduce the tax burden for the very rich.

Fiscally conservative indeed.  Harumph.

My exact words were, "I'm 'undecided', but the condescending tone of Mrs. Clinton...as well as most Democrat/liberal voters....towards Republican voters MIGHT be enough to make me go vote Trump."

"MIGHT" is bolded. It was a little tongue in cheek. 

I always tried to mention that when discussion you vote that it is a might, or a maybe.  If I did not, I apologize.  But I do want to thank you for your response it is appreciated.  If I can, I would really like to press you on a couple things you said.

Combining Obama's arrogance and dismissal of Trump, and Obama's seeming unawareness that he himself could possibly be causing any of the country's divide, along with Hillary's laughing-off of those who oppose her, is a bit irritating. There ARE people out here who wonder what it might be like to NOT have another 4 years of Obama, which is essentially what Hillary offers.

Understood there are many, many people that are not pro Obama, or care to see the the country go in a different direction form the last eight years.  Though by all metrics our country is doing better now then it was in 2008.  The Obama presidency did not usher in a utopia, but it is really hard to argue that we are worse off then 2008.  But regardless of that, do you think people are willing to take a chance with someone who has shown a great deal unpredictability in policy and actions with running the country?  And some of his stated goals and firm positions are just not feasible (ie the wall).  

Trump seems narcissistic. And his rally personality is VERY hard to like. But I think he's a good guy. In one-on-one conversations he seems real. He seems to genuinely like people. 

First off to use the word "seems" is a huge understatement.  Trump is a narcissist.  Anyone who puts their name on every building they own, uses his foundation to buy large paintings of himself, consistently refers to himself as the best, the greatest, etc. is a narcissist.  There is no other way you can spin that.  He is in love with himself and the promotion of himself.  Softening that in anyway does a disservice.  I guess in one on one conversations he can be likable, but of the ones I have seen they have been puff pieces (ie Fallon) where there is no real contention or pressing of issues.  They are probably about as unreal as you can get.  Also if he is truly likable where are his colleagues in business, or his friends?  Where are the people who say, I know Donald Trump, I have worked with Donald Trump, he is a good guy, etc.  There are more stories out there saying the exact opposite.  I happen to quite like what Penn Jillette has to say about the time working with Trump.   http://www.businessinsider.com/penn-jillette-reveals-what-it-was-like-to-work-with-donald-trump-2016-8.  And to say that he genuinely likes people seems to be laughable.  Sure he can be pleasant in interviews, but look at it his entire life, he seems to hate everyone.  The only person or group that Trump has not disparaged is himself.  Minorities, Christians, Republicans, Democrats, etc. 

The way Hillary speaks sounds like a mother telling you to go clean your room or go do your homework. That's not why I wouldn't vote for her, but it's impossible to overlook. 

As for the matronly way that Clinton speaks.  I guess that I could see that, but how much of that has to do with her sex and the way she looks rather than what she is saying?  She looks like and is a grandmother, she wears ugly pant suits that old ladies wear.  She is 68.  But why is this a knock?  Does it go back to who would I like to have a beer with (a classic adage from the Bush/Gore race).  Is that what this has come down to?  Clinton is making me eat my broccoli and Trump is going to let me eat candy?  That is a stupid way of looking things.  But again let's look at the overall message of the campaigns are.  Clinton is Stronger Together.  Her central message of her campaign and her speeches are about hope and optimism for the future and that we should do that together, which ironic I know with the deplorable comment.  But that comment aside, it is really is a message of things are good, but they can be better.  Trump on the other hand is Make America Great Again.  Which basically says America sucks and only he can make it better.  Interesting the narrative was really pointed out during the Olympics.  He really didn't tweet that much about the athletes and their accomplishments.  Because it went against his idea that America is not great.  Unfortunately in this day in age we can't divorce what people say with how we say it.  But look at the messages, who is really telling you to clean up your room?  

I think a Trump presidency would be interesting. I don't think he'd piss off foreign leaders and start World War 3 like many would have you believe. He hasn't sold me at all, but I gotta admit it's pretty freaking impressive how he made shambles out of his Republican opposition, and has now made the Presidential race a near toss-up, when most assumed Hillary would win going away.

A Trump presidency would be interesting, but I am not willing to take my life and the life of my children to chance, just because of some vague notion of that he does something interesting or as a change.  As impressive as it is to win the GOP nomination, I am not sure that is a quality that makes a good president.  Trump did succeed, but he basically bullied his way to the top.  His sole strategy was equal parts bullying his opponents and pandering to the fringes.  He was also helped greatly by the media (and still is) by not confronting on his views and opinions and letting his scandals slide.  

Lastly, you as an undecided voter have to make a clear choice on who you want to lead our country.  But what I have heard from you thus far is these fuzzy notions of feelings and tones of the way these candidates "seem."  These two choices should not come down about feelings.  These past 18 months or so the two remaining candidates have clearly shown who they are and what type of president they will be.  Trump has shown that he does not respect anyone but himself.  He has shown he does not have a clear understanding of the constitution or really the office of the presidency.  His ideas are dangerous and would put this country at risk.  Not to say he would start WWIII, but looking at the two, who do you think would.  So I would certainly hope that your decision on a president would hing on these things.  You need to vote whose policies would be better for you and for the country.  Ask yourself not how they say it, but what they say, how is better for our country?

That notion of who would you rather have a beer with probably won Bush some votes, but it was not very substantive. Doing the same thing today would probably have more people saying Trump than Hillary, but the reality is that there is no way in hell that Trump would have a beer with most of the people who would vote for him.

Sarah Palin now Trump, when do the grown ups get the Republicsn party back?

I always tried...........how is better for our country?

I don't need to be grilled or should I be expected to defend everything YOU don't like.

I will not vote for Hillary. I've had enough of the Clintons. Don't trust them. I don't plan to vote for Trump either.

I don't need to be grilled or should I be expected to defend everything YOU don't like.

I will not vote for Hillary. I've had enough of the Clintons. Don't trust them. I don't plan to vote for Trump either.

Woah, I was just trying to create a dialog. Sorry if you felt I was grilling you. But you can't be suprised or upset if someone challenges you on the things you say.

I had questions on why you thought the way you do, I am sorry if you don't feel like defending that position. But I am not going to sit buy and let things go unchallenged. I have always felt if you are willing to defend what you say, why say it? It seems to be this whole calling out issue all over again. Hixter used to get so upset at that.

Oh and by the way, if we are airing grevienced for no apparent reason, I really dislike YOUR use of CAPITALIZATION for emphasis. Super difficult to READ. But now I am being PETTY.

That notion of who would you rather have a beer with probably won Bush some votes, but it was not very substantive. Doing the same thing today would probably have more people saying Trump than Hillary, but the reality is that there is no way in hell that Trump would have a beer with most of the people who would vote for him.

Sarah Palin now Trump, when do the grown ups get the Republicsn party back?

The problem with W is he wouldn't have a beer with anyone because he is in recovery. This makes me ashamed to say it makes me want to have a beer with him more.

Obama would be a great guy to have a beer and play a game of HORSE with on the white house basketball court (no that's not a euphemism but maybe it should be).

I think having a glass of white wine with Hillary would be awesome.

Trump seems like the kind of guy that would get his ass knocked off a bar stool in Helena as easily as Brooklyn. A real loud mouth prick who could ruin your beer.

It's like Curt Schilling saying Smoltz got in the HOF because he's a democrat and Schilling didn't because he's a republican. It's an instinctive knee jerk reaction usually uttered without thinking or examining facts or taking reality into account.

Schiiling being Schilling, unfortunately.  His numbers (wins, ERA, etc.) are lacking in comparison to other modern day HOF pitchers. Dude never even won a Cy Young award. I guess character is still judged, too, Curt.

So, Trump is claiming the debates are rigged against him because the moderator, Lester Holt, is a democrat. 

Lester Holt has been a registered republican for over a decade.  http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/09/trump-is-wrong-lester-holt-is-a-republican.html

It's definitely rigged if Donald has to participate in a debate while he's also under "concentrated Satanic attack."

Wow, even Satan is against Donald? That's saying something. 

It's definitely rigged if Donald has to participate in a debate while he's also under "concentrated Satanic attack."

Wow, even Satan is against Donald? That's saying something. 

Wow! Thanks for that. It had to have taken all of Trump's concentration to stay composed and not laugh his ass off during that nonsense. About the only positive thing I can say about the guy is that he's most likely an atheist.

Self worship implies theism, no?

Touche', sir.

Love this.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaMaeNK_gqs

Of course this will do nothing to sway any voter and more than likely piss off the other side even more.  

I do want to see the Trump side, maybe we can have a Scott Baio nude scene.  

Joss Whedon is awesome.

Of course this will do nothing to sway any voter and more than likely piss off the other side even more.  

This will hurt more than it will help. They would've done more good endorsing Trump. The vast majority of his voters hate Hollywood elites and for them to make this just shows how stupid, insulated and egotistical they are. I mean, Donald is even more than them, but still...

Kevin, you are nuts if you think a video made by Hollywood progressives is going to make undecideds go "Gee, I think I will vote for Hillary".   People voting for Trump look at it as a big middle finger to progressives, elites, wall street, career politicians ,who have steered the country in the wrong (as they/I perceive) direction.  The more these people shrill on about racist islamaphobes, the more likely it is they vote for Trump instead of Gary Johnson. Hillary is not a consideration.