Politics 2016 (election edition)

It has brought a very savory scene; foodie restaurants galore! Tons of economic growth but lots of complaints about population growth and skyrocketing property values/ rent.

I second this. Although one restaurant just closed so the husband/wife team could focus on their mmj edibles business. 

The mmj store a block away never has any 'undesirables' hanging around, probably due to the armed security guards on patrol. The liquor store however is a different story. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he switched it to "big league".  Like I heard him saying "bigly" in the primaries, but then one of his advisers/consultants told him not to use made up adverbs, but he couldn't so they just coached him to switch it to an established expression.

So I was thinking about how over the "alt right" and their fringe, hate bullshit yesterday, and I was ready to write a premature obituary for the Trump campaign.  But rather than preach to the choir and jinx this whole thing, I thought of a more interesting question (rather than a rant).

What are the legitimate concerns of the Trump movement which aren't answered by a traditional Democratic candidate?  What would a more successful (and positive/productive) embodiment of those concerns look like in a future GOP candidate?

The one thing that's been interesting, and fairly downplayed in this election on both sides is the waning popularity of free trade. That seemed like a part of every platform since before I was old enough to vote, especially amongst Republicans, but Trump and Sanders both have spoken out against elements of trade practices, and Clinton has more subtly followed suit.

So I was thinking about how over the "alt right" and their fringe, hate bullshit yesterday, and I was ready to write a premature obituary for the Trump campaign.  But rather than preach to the choir and jinx this whole thing, I thought of a more interesting question (rather than a rant).

What are the legitimate concerns of the Trump movement which aren't answered by a traditional Democratic candidate?  What would a more successful (and positive/productive) embodiment of those concerns look like in a future GOP candidate?

The one thing that's been interesting, and fairly downplayed in this election on both sides is the waning popularity of free trade. That seemed like a part of every platform since before I was old enough to vote, especially amongst Republicans, but Trump and Sanders both have spoken out against elements of trade practices, and Clinton has more subtly followed suit.

Seems like the big one is: Blue collar jobs - manufacturing jobs

Also, Containing the national debt (actually, I doubt this is a concern. I think it should be. Shouldn't it be?) Didn't Clinton leave us with a surplus? Seems like we should be able to get back to that. I don't want a credit default BURP to wreak havoc on our (and global) economy. 

Seems like the big one is: Blue collar jobs - manufacturing jobs

Also, Containing the national debt (actually, I doubt this is a concern. I think it should be. Shouldn't it be?) Didn't Clinton leave us with a surplus? Seems like we should be able to get back to that. I don't want a credit default BURP to wreak havoc on our (and global) economy. 

There was an irritating lack of basic macroeconomic qualification in the debt discussions in the last debate.  Obama has shrunk the deficit considerably. People love talking about the debt being bigger than ever, but that's fine when your GDP is bigger than ever.

Oof. Donald's speech actually started out pretty funny. The "Pardon Me" joke was good.

Too bad it was stolen from a 1989 episode of Family Ties: 

Jennifer Keaton is writing a play about Nixon's last days in office:

And so, on his last day in office, "Nixon stood and addressed the White House staff.

"And so, friends, we leave with high hopes, "with deep humility and eight settings of the good White House china.

" "Nixon turns to the helicopter, bumps into Gerald Ford and says, 'Pardon me, if you know what I mean.

http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=family-ties-1982&episode=s07e15

Why I remember that I do not know.  But when Trump said that, it was the first thing I thought of (I did have to do research on what was the actual episode.)

Wow, what a terrific piece! Your dad can write, and he nailed Trump's personality.

Thanks, he really can.  He's done some bigger market things, but this was printed in the local paper. When I say local, I'm talking about the congressional district where the last time they didn't vote Republican for president the Republican they voted against was named Abraham Lincoln.  So I wonder what they'll do this time around, and how many friends my dad will have left in the neighbourhood when all this is over.