Tedeschi Trucks Band Thread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some nice shots with Nels (via Relix). Listened to the show on the archive - sounded great.           

I'd like to see the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tribute concert/documentary they have coming out at some point. 

Never seen them, but I used to see Derek a lot when he was a little kid.  He used to sit in with or open for a lot of more established acts in Atlanta during the HORDE era.  Even back then he was a complete badass that made a lot of highly regarded musicians sounds quite mediocre.  I haven't seen him since he was a teen, but I try to keep up with what he's doing.

Never seen them, but I used to see Derek a lot when he was a little kid.

Same here. He used to play at a small chicken wing restaurant/bar in my hometown in Florida when he was in his early teens. He had to leave the bar when he wasn't performing because he was underage, so he'd just skateboard in the parking lot between sets.

I say see Derek now as much as you can.  His talent is on a level with SRV, Clapton, or any other blues rock guitarist held up as the peak of the genre.  We are frickin' beyond LUCKY to have him around because talent like his only comes around every couple decades. God forbid, if he leaves us, many will deeply regret not seeing him as much as possible.  He's staggeringly great, IMO.  But he's humble and does all his playing as just another guy in the band in service to the song. He amazes me every time.

I too am on the Derek bus.  His playing with Warren in the Allmans was always special, seeing those 2 share the stage and feeding off each other always made for guitar fireworks.  And TTB is a whole 'nother thing: a big band sound meshing blues, rock, soul and R & B.  A fantastic band, with great spirit emanating from the stage. And Susan's vocals, which I consider to be the best blues singing since Janis.  I never pass on a chance to see them.  Next time for me will be at JazzFest.

I say see Derek now as much as you can. His talent is on a level with SRV, Clapton, or any other blues rock guitarist held up as the peak of the genre.

Clapton at his best couldn't hold a candle to Trucks. I've never understood the recognition he gets as a player.

Agree about Clapton. God?!

Derek is almost too good. I really liked the fusion stuff he did with his own band. He was definitely great with ABB. they wer a well oiled machine at the end there.

I saw Derek on his first summer tour with the Allman Brothers Band at Deer Creek - looking over at Hittin' the Web, I see it was his 6th show with the band -- I remember thinking that night he was very tentative in his playing,

which makes sense, since he was very young and he's up there playing in the Allman Brothers Band -- after seeing him numerous times since, it's amazing (though I'm not surprised) how much he has evolved into one of the all time best.

The other thing I remember was that there was a teenager, with a Slayer shirt on, sitting in front us with his hippie parents. The kid sat the first 3/4 of the show looking glum, until the band played Dreams and about 6 minutes into the tune, he finally stood up and started to take notice....

(need to track down the 99 show, it really is a shame that the ABB still doesn't allow the whole torrent thing)

Below is Derek sitting in with Phish on 7/7/99 (less than a month after the ABB Deer Creek show) during the encore songs (Possum and Funky Bitch) - definitely wasn't tentative here.

http://phish.in/1999-07-07

Found the below review of the show from a Phish board.

On the other hand, this was the first time I heard Derek Trucks. He made Trey look like a little school boy, shredding through the encore like there was no tomorrow. (Was Trey holding back for the kid?) That goes to show that even at the worst shows I have seen, there were still nuggets of magic.

Didn't Butch have a subscription service for streaming ABB concerts at one time?  Maybe that's why they don't allow torrents.

He did a thing where you paid to watch a live stream. It was called Moogis. I think the ABB ban on torrents was about keeping it old school where people had to interact to trade. They had/have a trading site on Hittin' The Web. I have never messed with it. I have a couple of those archival (official) releases though. 

I have participated in Vines on the Hittin' - the whole old school idea is fine, I guess --- can't see why they can't do both, though. I am sure the Moogis part has a lot to do with it, too - I think that is pretty much dead, though.

I know you can still buy shows through the ABB site or nugs - but again so does Gov't Mule, not sure if the Trucks' band sells their shows afterwards - and those sbd. shows would be banned on the legit torrents sites anyway.

You can't 'Vine' soundboards that were officially purchased either on the Hittin' site.

What is really great is their performance from the Eric Clapton Crossroads show from a a few years ago. They do a version of Anyday with Susan on co-vocals. (Actually it was still the Derek Trucks band at that time.) That song always brings a tear to the old eye. 

What is really great is their performance from the Eric Clapton Crossroads show from a a few years ago. They do a version of Anyday with Susan on co-vocals. (Actually it was still the Derek Trucks band at that time.) That song always brings a tear to the old eye. 

Do you remember which Crossroads?  I went to the last one at MSG in '13.  I think you're probably referring to the preceding version in Chicago, the year the Allmans cancelled and Susan and Derek did a set. 

Anyone see any reviews of last night's show at the Apollo?  They were premiering the new album. I read they were very psyched to be playing the Apollo. 

saw them at PPAC in providence in december- great show. derek is a monster. i really like susan in this band so much more than her earlier solo stuff. she sang a beautiful cover of don't think twice it's alright that had me misty-eyed. she reminds me a lot of bonnie raitt (a great thing in my book). looking forward to hearing the new record...

• 2 weeks later...

Clapton at his best couldn't hold a candle to Trucks. I've never understood the recognition he gets as a player.

I've heard that "Clapton is over-rated, not that good," etc idea on here a few times which I have a hard time understanding.  I mean he was in the Yardbirds, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney and Bonnie and DEREK AND THE FUCKING DOMINOS!!!!   Isn't that legacy enough?  But for me the music speaks more than words.  I guess guitar playing like this doesn't impress or move everyone, but I don't know why it doesn't.  It leaves me stunned.  Some people thought SRV was over-rated, too.  Clearly, some people just like different stuff.  I think of SRV, Clapton and Derek Trucks as at the top of their genre for all time, all pretty equal in my estimation.  To put Derek in the company of SRV and Clapton is pretty fucking high praise in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVaYwUAOeTY

Clapton is a tough one to categorize for me. Once upon a time, he was fantastic - from Cream through his early solo years. His playing on the Derek and the Dominos record is pretty mind-blowing, and so is the writing. Since about 1990, I have not been super impressed with his playing, and his music after the late-70s doesn't do it for me. I saw him a few times in the 80s - good shows with great guitar playing. But nowhere near what he had been 10-15 years before that.