Wilco — 1/30/16, Boston, MA (Orpheum Theatre) [Night 2 of 2]

here's my review and photos from the weekend:

https://digboston.com/fotobom-wilco-weekend-at-the-orpheum/

Great shots and write up Tim!  I particularly like this line about Spiders:

"Minimal Krautrock rhythms set the table, an insistent throb that exploded into a beautifully bombastic riff that is still reverberating somewhere in the recesses of Downtown Crossing."

So true. 

yeah, the crowd definitely gave John a huge round of applause/support for "It's Just That Simple"

That was great and he was tearing up for sure... Jeff and the boys were all clapping for him too.. it was great to see.  Nels also got a huge response from Impossible Germany solo and Jeff tipped his hat in Nels' direction

Great shots and write up Tim!  I particularly like this line about Spiders:

"Minimal Krautrock rhythms set the table, an insistent throb that exploded into a beautifully bombastic riff that is still reverberating somewhere in the recesses of Downtown Crossing."

So true. 

thanks! i wasn't super happy w/ my photos (it wasn't the easiest, given the location, the relative short time, and fighting with people who were coming from the lobby and trying to find their seats) but i was happy with the review I wrote.

Taper Bob100 also put this show up on Dime.  Someone posted the following comment, I thought you may be interested to read:

"Interestingly, I spoke briefly with Glenn Kotche after the show, who said that the band was very pleased with Friday, which sometimes means a letdown the next night. He was glad to hear that everyone had been so floored with the second performance."

this was one hell of a barn-burner. i loved friday, as it was our first chance to hear star wars live, and it plays so well as a piece. wasn't sure about hearing it in full two days in a row, but it was just as good the second day. particularly love you satellite, and magnetized, which feels like a lost track from sgt. pepper to me. as soon as the applause dipped when SW was finished, and the first notes of spiders began, the whole of the floor went pretty bananas- with great reason. i can't recall my last live electric spiders, and i love the acoustic one, but this was such a perfect shot of pure energy to kickstart the second half of the show. i was bummed to read it had gotten dropped as a first encore from friday, but honestly i think it was better in this position...

at that point, i didn't care how many repeats we got- it was clear that the energy in the old room was gonna be special on saturday. loved the bouncy groove in you are my face, and box full of letters was a welcome addition too. IG is always brilliant, but on this one nels seemed to shine even brighter than usual. for me, though, the ultimate highlight was the triple blast from being there to end the set. just so much fun. i like AM, but BT was the first wilco record i really fell down the rabbit hole with, and i'm always happy to hear it featured prominently at shows. bands playing old albums in their entirety around major anniversaries seems to be a growing trend these days, and i would give anything to see BT get this treatment from the boys (10/29/16 will be its 20th birthday. just an idea for the next tour.

Thank you! To tell you the truth, I do like writing but it takes longer than processing photos, and if i'm pulling double duty, it can take a few hours. luckily i had Sunday free to bang it out.

Nice piece, Tim. It was a good read, and more informed than most newspaper reviews.

Nice piece, Tim. It was a good read, and more informed than most newspaper reviews.

bböp, thanks! although to be fair to newspaper reviewers, they have to cover a *ton* of bands, and i think i know Wilco pretty well by now :)

Hey Tim, I posted a link to your review/photos in the Wilco fan group page on FB. 

sweet, thanks!

here's my review and photos from the weekend:

https://digboston.com/fotobom-wilco-weekend-at-the-orpheum/

>Whereas Cline’s record collection is likely filled with Derek Bailey and Sonny Sharrock LPs, Sansone’s has to have a healthy dose of The Faces, Big Star and The Band, and that mixture is one of the secrets to >what makes this band so great.

Spot on.  The mixture-balance-tension between these very different, but somehow very complimentary musicians  is a big part of the secret sauce, imo.  

Though I did see Nels rip through an impressive lead on the Rolling Stones' "Happy" when I saw him play with Phil Lesh a couple Halloweens ago, so I think he might have heard that record too.  Maybe.