Wilco - 1/31/16 - New Haven, CT (College Street Music Hall)

EKG

More,..

RNG

The Joke Explained

Taste the Ceiling

Pickled Ginger

Where Do I Begin

Cold Slope>

King of You

Magnetized

Handshake Drugs>

Art of Almost

Via Chicago

Bull Black Nova*

Hummingbird

HMD

ITMWLY

Passenger Side*

Jesus, etc...

Born Alone

Impossible Germany

The Late Greats

----------------------------

(Hootenanny Style)

Misunderstood

It's Just that Simple

War on War

I'm Always In Love

California Stars

A Shot in the Arm

* Tour Debut

Think that's right. Does HD>AoA count? I was flying high already.

Spiders cut. Sorry for my friends, but I made last train to Grand Central without missing a Hootenanny note.

Loved the venue, standing on a GA floor with sing-a-longs from "I was chewin gum" on after my VT show near-meltdown was sublime.

They had me at "HEY, WAKE UP"

Whatever happened to "Impossible Germany" girl?!?

There was certainly a lack of expected shrieking when they started playing the intro.

Also, there was a dedication of California Stars that sounded like "for Rayland Wood." Nobody seemed to recognize the name but my buddy said there was a family next to him that seemed to be connected. His guess was a surprise dedication for a family member as they were crying and singing along. If so, very cool of Tweedy to help them have that moment.

Nice show last night, New Haven shows are always special to me because that's where I was first introduced to Jeff when I saw him with that other band open for The Replacements a few blocks from this theater almost exactly 25 years ago!  I can't believe how time flies.

Here's a link to the New Haven recording.  My friend who knows these things (and posted links to his recordings of both Orpheum shows) says this was made with excellent equipment from the sweet spot.  Haven't listened yet, but this should be a good recording.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=584761

I'm pretty much a soundboard snob, but I'm halfway through this recording right now and must say that the quality is excellent. Thanks for sharing! I watched the show last night from the front row of the loge (I was with my kids so no GA floor for me) and this recording is spot on to what I was hearing from my location (taper was probably 20 seats or so to my left). Everything comes through nicely in the mix, vocals are out front and clearly audible, and there's not that muddy quality that plagues some of these aud tapes, just a bit of echo.

Looking forward to being on the floor at The Cap on Wednesday!

Nice show last night, New Haven shows are always special to me because that's where I was first introduced to Jeff when I saw him with that other band open for The Replacements a few blocks from this theater almost exactly 25 years ago!  I can't believe how time flies.

It just blows my mind that UT opened for the Mats.  That would have been a 1990's dream for me - and I moved to the east coast about one year after it would have happened. 

Man, what a combo.

Nice!  First time I saw UT was at Toad's the following year, as part of Michelle Shocked's Arkansas Traveler Revue.  Helluva lineup for that, including the Band and Taj Mahal, too.

I thought last night's show was great.  Like a few others here, I was also seated in the first row of the loge, almost dead center.  The sound was excellent there, and my wife definitely appreciated the view (she's not big on GA floor because she's shorter and hates when it gets jammed). 

"Passenger Side" and "It's Just That Simple" were the highlights for me. 

It just blows my mind that UT opened for the Mats.  That would have been a 1990's dream for me - and I moved to the east coast about one year after it would have happened. 

Man, what a combo.

That same week I caught a few of the Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Sonic Youth and Social Distortion shows, that was a fun week!

went to this one on a whim after both nights in boston. my friend had two GA floor tix she couldn't use, so i called my cousin on saturday to see if he'd be into going. his first time seeing wilco, so i was pretty pleased he said yes. never been to CSMH before, but it's a pretty decent venue. we only got to the show about 10 min before wilco went on, so my hopes of being up front were quickly dashed. found a decent corner at the back of the first floor section, to the right by the ramp and rail. sadly, we found that there was a disproportionate number of taller than average showgoers last night- i'm 5'11", but was struggling to get broken views of the band all night. it also seems like they could have terraced the floor sections a little differently- the two-steps down in between each level was kind of weird. at least the sound was good- not as boomy as i anticipated and the crowd was mercifully low on talkers...

this one seemed closer in energy to the friday orpheum show than the night before. again, not a lot of banter, but there was a choice jeff quote as soon as SW was finished. he thanked the crowd, said that was their new album, and then adivsed "everyone should listen to albums". after cheers and applause, he added something like "seriously- just shut the fuck up once in a while and listen to an album". also liked his response to the IG requester-"we play it every night. the only surprise is going to be when."

There was certainly a lack of expected shrieking when they started playing the intro.

Also, there was a dedication of California Stars that sounded like "for Rayland Wood." Nobody seemed to recognize the name but my buddy said there was a family next to him that seemed to be connected. His guess was a surprise dedication for a family member as they were crying and singing along. If so, very cool of Tweef dy to help them have that moment.

That was us.  One of my best friends, Steve (the guy who turned me on to UT and Wilco and introduced me to my wife) tragically lost his 18 year-old son this past July.  His name is Ryland Ward.  It was the first time that our families were together since Ry's passing; I had emailed a request to the good people at dBpm and it was forwarded to the band, who graciously dedicated the song to him. We all had a good cry and sang badly and loved the sonic cleansing of live Wilco - just the tonic.  It was beautiful, we can't thank Jeff and the guys enough.  

George P

That was us.  One of my best friends, Steve (the guy who turned me on to UT and Wilco and introduced me to my wife) tragically lost his 18 year-old son this past July.  His name is Ryland Ward.  It was the first time that our families were together since Ry's passing; I had emailed a request to the good people at dBpm and it was forwarded to the band, who graciously dedicated the song to him. We all had a good cry and sang badly and loved the sonic cleansing of live Wilco - just the tonic.  It was beautiful, we can't thank Jeff and the guys enough.  

George P

Beautiful, indeed.  Thanks George.

This was my seventh Wilco show but my first since the late '90s, and I was blown away. Jeff lost me for a while but the Tweedy record and tour last year and Star Wars all helped rekindled my love of the band.

I was up at the stage in front of Nels and it was just a really powerful, fun, engaging night of music. I'm still on a high 24 hours later. 

These musicians are so talented and so locked into each other, it really lets them do anything they want. So yeah. I feel like I spent last night with an old friend I had lost touch with. Was an incredible night.

34791xg.jpg

14lhqb4.jpg

2ahba8n.jpg

2rcbeq9.jpg

That was us. One of my best friends, Steve (the guy who turned me on to UT and Wilco and introduced me to my wife) tragically lost his 18 year-old son this past July. His name is Ryland Ward. It was the first time that our families were together since Ry's passing; I had emailed a request to the good people at dBpm and it was forwarded to the band, who graciously dedicated the song to him. We all had a good cry and sang badly and loved the sonic cleansing of live Wilco - just the tonic. It was beautiful, we can't thank Jeff and the guys enough.

George P

Such a touching story, thanks for sharing. Glad I could witness that.