• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here...except that I dislike the 'song' part of Playin', even without Donna caterwaulin'  :D. Fortunately, the never absent  jam redeems it for me.

Agree on Playin'. The lyrics are kind of corny. Love the Main Ten theme and the jamming potential though.

Speaking of 69, that is one official release I had but could not get into - 2-11-1969. 

I think that "instrumental" is just part of the tuning jam. 

I agree about that 2/11/69 release, I haven't listened to it in ages, though. Not one of their best releases.

I have always hated "Hey Jude" -- but their version on this release is downright awful.

I don't remember anything really standing out.

Cool. I was supposed to see him with Missing Man Formation at a bar in town, oddly enough, named partially after his tune "True Blue," (called Quixote's True Blue). I went down town for the show and the bar had been turned into a vigil/memorial with candles and shit. He'd died that morning (or perhaps the morning before, I forget), but it was news to me.

I met him and got to hang with him a few times as he used to hang out for hours before his shows at the bar and drink and smoke and dance with the gals. A quiet, humble guy.

Happen to be on Bt-Etree today and came across a show that was taped at Quixote's -- thought the whole coat bit was funny - did you catch this show Lammy?

Shakedown Street

2016-03-17

Quixote's True Blue

Denver, CO

~Set II~

08. Cumberland Blues

09. *My coat Has Left My Body Jam->

10. Sugaree

* some dumb drunk girl got on stage and was screaming about how one took her coat

No, didn't go last weekend. Shakedown St. played my wedding two summers ago, though (I got to join in on drums for a few tunes while wife sang). They're local guys and play a lot around here.

I agree about that 2/11/69 release, I haven't listened to it in ages, though. Not one of their best releases.

I have always hated "Hey Jude" -- but their version on this release is downright awful.

I don't remember anything really standing out.

It's really amazing to think that just 16 days later they uncorked 4 nights of some of the greatest music of that period. It could be they felt very uptight, because of time constraints (I believe they were the openers), and the fact that their friend Janis was playing the Fillmore for the first time with her new band (she had played her last gig with Big Brother 2 months before). At the end of the show you here Jerry exclaim to a roaring-for-another-encore crowd, "I wan't ya to DO it for JANIS, man! She's gonna come out and blow your minds some more". Very uncharacteristic of our boy to be so demonstrative.

Anyway, I agree with you guys about the release. To me the music sounds hurried, and not relaxed and/or fully developed, possibly for the reasons I mentioned, maybe not. Maybe it was NYC Mafia acid, I don't know.  :rolleyes  As opposed the the Fillmore West 2 weeks later, where it's a home gig and "we have you all night long". 

It's sort of indicative of that period that one show could be fairly shambolic, and a few days later it could be as good as any music you've ever heard! Moreso than later eras when they actually were a "National Professional Touring Act, Rock Legends Dept.", when even the off nights were still played with some degree of professionalism. 

A comparison of Feb-Apr '69 with Apr-Jun '77 would be fair. Both periods are fucking amazing but in vastly different ways.

It's kinda interesting that the Dead released it (2/11/69), due to the somewhat sub-par performance, especially since Phil was listed as producer. I think I remember reading that Lesh nixed some Latvala's picks - due to what Phil thought was sub-par performances, while Dick thought a particular performance was great. I think Gans had some of the same moments with Lesh , too, when he was involved with some Dead releases.

I never had much a problem with Lesh's Steal your Face release - but that may be because I had that tape since high school and it was one of my first tapes, bought Dead Set the same day I bought Steal your Face.

I always enjoyed Fallout from the Phil Zone, too. Haven't listened to that in a long while, too.

I have a solo 5 1/2 road trip coming up tomorrow- found a clean copy of Hundred Years Hall ( along with Velvet Underground Complete Matrix set) at the library. Think I am going to bring my Fallout and the 2/11/69 release along for the ride, too. 

I had that Phil Zone cd. I got rid of that and several others years ago. I don't think I would such a thing now. I may have traded those cds for something else. I can't recall.

I haven't listened to Fallout for 10 years, maybe 15! Not that I didn't like it, but it just got put to the side - LOTS of releases, box sets, etc.

The things that stand out in my mind are the 8/6/71 Hard To Handle (from Bertrando's AUD source, I think) and the 4/26/69 Viola Lee.

I think the other ones I had were Infrared Roses, Grayfolded, Dozin' At The Knick, and Nightfall of Diamonds. I was looking at my tapes the other day and found out that I have Bear's Choice, Shakedown Street, Reckoning, Dylan and The Dead, and Built to Last.

These typically have be fun at my local theater.

The sixth annual Grateful Dead ‘Meet-Up At The Movies’ screening will take place at theaters across the country on May 11 as per Jambands.com. This year, Fathom Events and Rhino will present footage of the Grateful Dead’s July 2, 1989 concert at Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts which has not previously been released.

In addition to the 1989 concert, the screening will also include backstage footage from Dead & Company’s first-ever tour, which took place this past fall. Look for this year’s ‘Meet-Up At The Movies’ to start at 7 p.m. local time at select theaters in the U.S. More information including ticket purchasing options is expected to be shared soon on Fathom Events’ website.

Going back to the previous discussion about late era new tunes, Today on This Day in GD History on Sirius they were playing second set from Albany 3-28-1993. I was at this show, I usually like listening to shows I saw live. Except here, after Ship of Fools, they go into Wave to the Wind, and I had to turn it off in less than a minute. Can't bear to listen to them play that song. I don't remember much about this night, but I do remember the previous night having many great moments. The Days Between stands out in my memory bank, I still feel the chills I got hearing that song that night.

I heard a couple of Wave To The Winds that I enjoyed live. The band never seemed to focus in on a definitive structure for the tune. It only had about 20 live airings, and it was somewhat difficult piece to play I think (not surprising with a Lesh song). 

I was/am of the opinion that this was Phil's attempt at doing something in the Eyes vein. Sort of an Eyes/Unbroken Chain hybrid, especially in the jam - very much an attempt at the '74 Eyes vibe to my ears. The lyrics have been raked over the coals from the start as being vapid and trite, but what the hell, Eyes' lyrics are pretty damn hippy-dippy: "Sometimes we visit your country and live in your home", etc. I love Eyes, but it was never about the words on that one for me. Same goes with "Wave" - there's a germ of a fine piece of music there, it just never got developed enough.

Listening to Today in GD History, 3-29-85 Nassau. Middle of the 6 years I was off the bus. Never knew they did Baby What You Want Me To Do. I always knew that as a Hot Tuna sing on Yellow Fever. Brent does a good job with it.

It's a lot older: Jimmy Reed tune from the 50s. He did Big Boss Man, too.

I heard a couple of Wave To The Winds that I enjoyed live. The band never seemed to focus in on a definitive structure for the tune. It only had about 20 live airings, and it was somewhat difficult piece to play I think (not surprising with a Lesh song). 

I was/am of the opinion that this was Phil's attempt at doing something in the Eyes vein. Sort of an Eyes/Unbroken Chain hybrid, especially in the jam - very much an attempt at the '74 Eyes vibe to my ears. The lyrics have been raked over the coals from the start as being vapid and trite, but what the hell, Eyes' lyrics are pretty damn hippy-dippy: "Sometimes we visit your country and live in your home", etc. I love Eyes, but it was never about the words on that one for me. Same goes with "Wave" - there's a germ of a fine piece of music there, it just never got developed enough.

I've never heard Wave to the Wind, but I have always liked the lyrics of Eyes of The World. 

Listening to Today in GD History, 3-29-85 Nassau. Middle of the 6 years I was off the bus. Never knew they did Baby What You Want Me To Do. I always knew that as a Hot Tuna sing on Yellow Fever. Brent does a good job with it.

I'm two days late, but this reminded me of what I think is an even better show on 3-28-85 Nassau.  They opened with Truckin'>Smokestack Lightning and High Time and it stayed hot all the way through to the nice jam after Looks Like Rain.  I especially enjoy the entire first set.  Matthew Kelly from Kingfish taking a nice harmonica solo in Smokestack, too.

https://archive.org/details/gd1985-03-28.118304.sbd.healy.damico.flac16

1985 had some really strong first sets.

I really liked Wave. Very interesting that Phil became so productive in the last few years. He had 3 originals and then Broken Arrow. And of course Unbroken...sheesh. I know I've read interviews where h talks about tunes he was writing but didn't materialize. One was called Red. I liked all the Lesh tunes but cannot remember Shoe Fits for the life of me.

Been listening to that 7/24/07 Ratdog show that was recommended here a few pages back.  Some great stuff on there.  And, of course, some not so great :-)  However, I'm kind of getting into their groove.  Any other recommendations for good Ratdog shows?  I'm about to check out 9/23/01 with Mark.  Just something different I guess.