Anybody get the new Dave's pick? Kind of a slow '76 show. I sold mine to someone on Dead.net and went right back to my wayback machine through Europe '72 shows I'm hearing for the first time. Carry on!

Got it Thursday. Haven't listened yet. That bonus disc looks interesting Playin > Cosmic Charlie > Spanish Jam > Drums > Wheel > Playin? Hell yeah!

Summer '76 does plod along at times, but the setlists were never again so random.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it Thursday. Haven't listened yet. That bonus disc looks interesting Playin > Cosmic Charlie > Spanish Jam > Drums > Wheel > Playin? Hell yeah!

Summer '76 does plod along at times, but the setlists were never again so random.

Got mine this week, I listened to the bonus disc first. Thought it was excellent, very crisp playing, and the Spanish Jam coming out of nowhere is always a bonus.

Now working my way through disc 1. Band sounding good. Another stellar HDCD production.

I was at the June '76 Beacon shows, the level of excitement was off the charts. But over the years I never found the music all that compelling, especially in light of what came after in '77 and '78. But I'm definitely enjoying the quality of the playing on this release.

Comes a Time is really jumping out on the latest Dave's Pick. The Johnny B Goode was actually pretty good, too.  

So far it's pretty good, I think. I don't listen to 76 all that often, though. 

76: the most interesting setlists, and disappointing execution/energy. Was listening to a St. Stephen from one of those Orpheum shows. And the intro, is just, so, boring. If it was a tape or vinyl you'd check to be sure it was playing at the right speed. 

Don't know that there are any 76 shows I've ever felt inclined to revisit. Are there any that do bring some energy? 

76: the most interesting setlists, and disappointing execution/energy. Was listening to a St. Stephen from one of those Orpheum shows. And the intro, is just, so, boring. If it was a tape or vinyl you'd check to be sure it was playing at the right speed. 

Don't know that there are any 76 shows I've ever felt inclined to revisit. Are there any that do bring some energy? 

The setlists are most definitely more random than the following year - that, and the very clean separation of the instruments in the mix are a couple of reasons I go back and visit '76. 

As far as energy goes, that's not usually a word I would associate with 76 lol. Occasionally in the jams there's still that dreamy 1974 vibe going on, Playin immediately stands out for me in that regard. It's like the energy picks up from month to month; the shows with The Who in October begin to push the music in a more rock-n-roll direction, and by Fall '77 they're really hittin' hard. 

The first things I think of when I think of 1976 are the Beacon run, especially 6/14 - my favorite versions of Crazy Fingers (not a favorite of mine), and my favorite H>S>F ever. The Slipknot is insane - how this has never been on a bonus track (at least) is a real head-scratcher for me.

The first things I think of when I think of 1976 are the Beacon run, especially 6/14 - my favorite versions of Crazy Fingers (not a favorite of mine), and my favorite H>S>F ever. The Slipknot is insane - how this has never been on a bonus track (at least) is a real head-scratcher for me.

It's funny you should mention the 6/14 show. I had just started working my way through it for the first time ever when the new pick arrived. And it was one of the first things I went back to after finishing the new pick. I thought it a much better '76 show, especially the tracks you listed. Then, of course, I went right into Europe '72 shows again!

The Boston shows from 1976...

On one of the audience shows you can hear a guy inbetween nearly every first set song just screaming (phonetically) "EYE-EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE--EYE..."

I went to Meet Up at the Movies tonight for the first time. Had a blast. Excellent show-Foxboro 7-2-89. Garcia was in fine form, as was the entire band. The mighty Grateful fucking Dead. Brought tears to my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went to Meet Up at the Movies tonight for the first time. Had a blast. Excellent show-Foxboro 7-2-89. Garcia was in fine form, as was the entire band. The mighty Grateful fucking Dead. Brought tears to my eyes.

I'd much rather do this than do a DeadCo, LLC show.  :yes

I was a little disappointed with last night's show --- the performance was great --- but I kept thinking that the show would have sounded and looked better if I was watching it at my home system. It could have been just the the theater that I was at, though I have seen movies there before and they always sounded good.

I was a little disappointed with last night's show --- the performance was great --- but I kept thinking that the show would have sounded and looked better if I was watching it at my home system. It could have been just the the theater that I was at, though I have seen movies there before and they always sounded good.

I didn't have any issues with the audio-video quality, keeping in mind this was shot in 1989. Plus, being in a theater with folks up and dancing and cheering added the social/concert feel I don't get on my home system!

It was the first time that I was bummed at one of these events -- I actually left early and missed the Dead & Company performance that I read happened, afterwards.

It was the first time that I was bummed at one of these events -- I actually left early and missed the Dead & Company performance that I read happened, afterwards.

You didn't miss much, imo. I watched the Kimmel "Bertha" clip last night, and while Bob looked lively and the drummers were poppin' and snappin' away, I simply cannot get into JM's whole deal: tepid energy and rote playing (at least from my point of view). I shut the "Bertha" down after the "throw me in the jailhouse" verse (which Weir took). 

I'm glad others can find enjoyment in the band, it just doesn't work for me. Oh well.

Nice looking setlist for that show. Gonna have to give it a listen.

Yeah, I remember my little brother calling me after the show saying they opened 1st set with Playin' and second set w/ FOTD. I chalked it up, at the time, to him being relatively new to the shows and having the order of tunes mixed up...

Yeah, I remember my little brother calling me after the show saying they opened 1st set with Playin' and second set w/ FOTD. I chalked it up, at the time, to him being relatively new to the shows and having the order of tunes mixed up...

That's pretty funny - I wasn't aware of the set list prior to going last night -- when they started with Playin and went into Crazy Fingers, I must admit I thought that the theater messed up and started with the 2nd set...

I am glad I left they before played Hey Jude - man I hate that tune.

I thought the Want Dang Doodle was great.

I'm cool with them doing the Hey Jude refrain, would've been fun to experience that live. Never enjoyed Brent or Pig singing the verses the few times that happened. Didn't know it was possible to hate that tune though. Thought it's greatness was one thing all humanity could agree on. 

The Pig (whole) version is horrible, but I didn't mind Brent's slipping in the reprise here and there. Brent would get off on it and it meshed with Mr. Fantasy nicely, imo (plus Garcia's licks on it!)