I forgot this event was even happening. Ugh, it played 3 miles from my house. I was busy mowing the dandelion jungle that used to be my yard.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I've lived in the Boston area since 1979, I missed all the Foxboro shows as they were always over July 4th weekend and we were always in NJ for a family event.  I've never heard this show and had no idea of the setlist, so when they opened with Playing>Crazy Fingers I was shocked. I don't think I've ever seen a Playing opener. Yes, the Wang Dang, never one of my favorite covers, was exceptional. And they knew it too, smiles on stage.  As for the Hey Jude refrain in Dear Mr. Fantasy, doesn't bother me, I kinda like it.  Much better than any of the Pigpen versions. The one downer in the set for me was the Brent song. Never liked them at the time, still don't.  Other than that, a great setlist show and very well played and filmed.

You didn't miss much, imo. I watched the Kimmel "Bertha" clip last night, and while Bob looked lively and the drummers were poppin' and snappin' away, I simply cannot get into JM's whole deal: tepid energy and rote playing (at least from my point of view). I shut the "Bertha" down after the "throw me in the jailhouse" verse (which Weir took). 

I'm glad others can find enjoyment in the band, it just doesn't work for me. Oh well.

I'm going to put this here:

The thing for me is this - my general discontent with DeadCo, LLC (yes, this is how I refer to them) is remember last Summer? Fare The Well? A last send-off, celebrating 50 years of the band and their fans? I had no issue with that per se, other than Soldier Field in July (been there, done that - BRUTAL as I recall). Well, it went off pretty well, a fine fine ending I thought.

THEN - the amps were still warm, and all of a sudden BAM! "Oh we said we're done, it's over? Well FUCK, we just made a SHIT TON of money in Santa Clara & Chicago - let's keep this thing going and make a bunch more cash! Oh, Phil doesn't want to do it? Fuck Phil - we'll get somebody else, it doesn't matter, the money is TOO GOOD. Hey, Mayer's been listening to the tapes for a couple of years, let's get him in there. Oteil - hell he can do this".

OK, yes Mayer and Burbidge are talented as hell. But WHAT THE FUCK - did that "This is IT, we're done" from last year mean NOTHING? What are they now, THE WHO? "We're done, no we're not, we've reconsidered..ok THIS time we MEAN it, we're DONE. PSYCH! We're not done". Fuck all of that, man. It's a fucking money grab by a bunch of old dudes who didn't have enough smarts to get a decent investment broker. I guess I was naive - I put those guys above petty concerns like money, I thought they did it for a more altruistic reason. I was WRONG. 

Go read Browne's book, even Billy's book. They don't care to spend time with each other anymore, except onstage. Band of Brothers? Total bullshit. If you ask me Lesh is the only one in this whole sordid affair with an ounce of dignity. If this Corporation wants to make new music, fine. But to rehash something with no Garcia and no Lesh it's just fucking sad. The musical conversation between Gar & Phil was about 2/3 of why I went around the country following the band. I'll go see Forgotten Space or (my local band) Hyrider to get my fix.

And - anyone who is doing this tour must have not got closure in '95. I was NEVER into the "scene" as a social thing. I felt much more like an anthropologist on tour. I interacted WITH it, but I was never OF it. I wasn't a guy who lived from day-to-day like a fucking gypsy - I had a job back home I went back to, and a bed I liked sleeping in. I am a Deadhead - I love the music created by the Grateful Dead. I never gave a shit about being vegan, or astrology, etc. 

Plus, as Lammy said, this music by this band just doesn't move me. If it moves you, cool. But it doesn't move ME.

Speaking of Dead cover bands - tomorrow night, I probably will be catching Jake's Leg down in So. Illinois - playing on the shores on the Mississippi River. They're pretty decent, been seeing them play since 1990 or so.

Should be a nice night.

The thing for me is this - my general discontent with DeadCo, LLC (yes, this is how I refer to them) is remember last Summer? Fare The Well? A last send-off, celebrating 50 years of the band and their fans? I had no issue with that per se, other than Soldier Field in July (been there, done that - BRUTAL as I recall). Well, it went off pretty well, a fine fine ending I thought.

THEN - the amps were still warm, and all of a sudden BAM! "Oh we said we're done, it's over? Well FUCK, we just made a SHIT TON of money in Santa Clara & Chicago - let's keep this thing going and make a bunch more cash! Oh, Phil doesn't want to do it? Fuck Phil - we'll get somebody else, it doesn't matter, the money is TOO GOOD. Hey, Mayer's been listening to the tapes for a couple of years, let's get him in there. Oteil - hell he can do this".

OK, yes Mayer and Burbidge are talented as hell. But WHAT THE FUCK - did that "This is IT, we're done" from last year mean NOTHING? What are they now, THE WHO? "We're done, no we're not, we've reconsidered..ok THIS time we MEAN it, we're DONE. PSYCH! We're not done". Fuck all of that, man. It's a fucking money grab by a bunch of old dudes who didn't have enough smarts to get a decent investment broker. I guess I was naive - I put those guys above petty concerns like money, I thought they did it for a more altruistic reason. I was WRONG. 

Go read Browne's book, even Billy's book. They don't care to spend time with each other anymore, except onstage. Band of Brothers? Total bullshit. If you ask me Lesh is the only one in this whole sordid affair with an ounce of dignity. If this Corporation wants to make new music, fine. But to rehash something with no Garcia and no Lesh it's just fucking sad. The musical conversation between Gar & Phil was about 2/3 of why I went around the country following the band. I'll go see Forgotten Space or (my local band) Hyrider to get my fix.

And - anyone who is doing this tour must have not got closure in '95. I was NEVER into the "scene" as a social thing. I felt much more like an anthropologist on tour. I interacted WITH it, but I was never OF it. I wasn't a guy who lived from day-to-day like a fucking gypsy - I had a job back home I went back to, and a bed I liked sleeping in. I am a Deadhead - I love the music created by the Grateful Dead. I never gave a shit about being vegan, or astrology, etc. 

Plus, as Lammy said, this music by this band just doesn't move me. If it moves you, cool. But it doesn't move ME.

HEY-O!!

Don't "spoil" the ending of that Browne book, you bastard. I'm going to one Boulder show per the wife's request and she bought the tix. It'll be fun to hang with friends but, yeah.......

HEY-O!!

Don't "spoil" the ending of that Browne book, you bastard. I'm going to one Boulder show per the wife's request and she bought the tix. It'll be fun to hang with friends but, yeah.......

This is the main reason I am heading to Alpine --- we're even camping - haven't camped for show since the Terrapin Station shows in 02. I think the music if fine, though.

Regarding the money grab and Lesh, etc - I never paid any of that any mind. 

Last year, I wouldn't have gone to see the Dead & Co show if my buddy didn't want to go, but he didn't really start to listen to the Dead's music until about 04 or so and he wanted to see some of the members play live - so I went and ended up enjoying it. He did, too.

The last time (and only time) my wife saw a Dead related show was when the core four were playing with Warren in 09 --- she was pregnant and a hippie cheek threw up on her - plus it was boring show. So this time around she is just hoping no one hurls on her.

Listened to portions of 7/19/74 last night. Phil is so high in the mix that he almost overpowers Jerry n Bob. Bombs galore. WRS with a Spanish jam that segues into Eyes.....beautiful stuff. That wall of sound is crazy.

That wall of sound is crazy.

You're crazy.

It was crazy. And, it was crazy that there were 2 sets of the Wall in order to accommodate for the amount of time it took to set up/take down....at least, so I've read.

This is the main reason I am heading to Alpine --- we're even camping - haven't camped for show since the Terrapin Station shows in 02. I think the music if fine, though.

Regarding the money grab and Lesh, etc - I never paid any of that any mind. 

Last year, I wouldn't have gone to see the Dead & Co show if my buddy didn't want to go, but he didn't really start to listen to the Dead's music until about 04 or so and he wanted to see some of the members play live - so I went and ended up enjoying it. He did, too.

The last time (and only time) my wife saw a Dead related show was when the core four were playing with Warren in 09 --- she was pregnant and a hippie cheek threw up on her - plus it was boring show. So this time around she is just hoping no one hurls on her.

That's a good name for a band - Hippie Cheek. 

I think the 7.19.1974 first set is amazingly underrated. The Scarlet may be the best version from 1974. Also, the best Bertha, Deal and BIODTL of the year...

I recommend hearing the Jerry Moore audience version...It really gives the massive sound feel...

Its almost like two completely different shows - the aud versus the sbd...

I really prefer the audience...

Seriously - If you like the sbd of 7.19.1974 and you have yet to hear the audience - you are really in for a treat...

https://archive.org/details/gd1974-07-19.shure.unknown.fix-102766.102866.flac16

I think the 7.19.1974 first set is amazingly underrated. The Scarlet may be the best version from 1974. Also, the best Bertha, Deal and BIODTL of the year...

I recommend hearing the Jerry Moore audience version...It really gives the massive sound feel...

My buddy loves matrix when available. I really like listening to my old tapes, a lot that are aud. because of the :"live" feel of them. However, I'll, generally, take a sbd over an aud. almost every time just to enjoy the beauty of each note in the most clarity possible...

That's a good name for a band - Hippie Cheek. 

Every band member will have to have a flower painted on their cheek -- an all girl Dead cover band.

Seriously - If you like the sbd of 7.19.1974 and you have yet to hear the audience - you are really in for a treat...

Curious to know how you know Moore taped this. I don't see any info in the lineage.

Does anyone know if there is a complete list of all the shows he taped?

Curious to know how you know Moore taped this. I don't see any info in the lineage.

Does anyone know if there is a complete list of all the shows he taped?

You may be able to search using his name on Archive.org. I think he taped the only Jerry solo thing I own - that Legion of Mary show where they are playing Little Sunflower.

Actually - it was somebody else. Also - Lossless Legs list tapers - I think. 

Edited by Analogman

HEY-O!!

I put this rant here cause I was comfortable doing so. Can you even imagine the response if I'd have put that in any of the myriad number of GD Facebook groups we're on? My fucking house would be burned to the ground!  :lol

I put this rant here cause I was comfortable doing so. Can you even imagine the response if I'd have put that in any of the myriad number of GD Facebook groups we're on? My fucking house would be burned to the ground!  :lol

If you jacked it up some more - you could post in the comments section at the Relix website. Those guys hammer just about everyone. 

Every band member will have to have a flower painted on their cheek -- an all girl Dead cover band.

with a dude singing the Donna parts.

I don't know, I appreciate your point of view, but maybe I'm not such a deep thinker. I listen to the music and if I like it and it moves me, I'm good. If I'm having a good time, I don't stand at a show and count the amount of money the artists are making.

The deal with Fare Thee Well was it was billed as the last time the 4 of them were going to perform on stage together. That was always the deal, and it was always obvious to me what that meant. You miss that completely. That some combo of less than 4 of them performs together should not be a surprise to anyone.

As for Fare Thee Well, I wasn't there but from what I watched and listened at home, the music was pretty bad. Many train wreck cringe moments in my view. And I love Trey.

Then against my instincts I went to Worcester in October to see Dead and Co. and I thought the music was fantastic. They were in synch, Mayer's enthusiasm for the songbook was infectious, Bobby's guitar playing was the best I'd seen in years, I had a great night. So, they made money that night. Of course they did, why is that unusual? Again, this wasn't the Core 4, and of course they were always going to continue to make music. And of course Garcia wasn't on stage. Sure, I'd rather see JRAD, but I'll see this band again.

Another Garcia release - it's been a while, it seems. Would have been cool as hell seeing Garcia play in a 200 capacity club.

Volume Six showcases Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders’ July 5th, 1973 performance at the Lion’s Share in San Anselmo, CA. Recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson just five days prior to the seminal performances celebrated on the Live at the Keystone series, GarciaLive Volume Six highlights a particularly adventurous evening at the Lion’s Share, a 200 capacity club known for its vibrant music scene which drew regulars like Janis Joplin, Phil Lesh, Van Morrison, and many others. The club’s intimacy can be felt throughout the recordings as the band, rounded out by John Kahn on bass and drummer Bill Vitt, frequently launch into extended improvisations fueled by the exchange of energy with the audience. The blistering “She’s Got Charisma” -> “That’s Alright, Mama”, which clocks in at over 31 minutes long, “starts off innocently in familiar blues territory, but very quickly deconstructs into fragmentation and exploration, defying both gravity and expectation at the same time” as writer Benjy Eisen eloquently describes in the releases’ liner note essay. The presence of an unidentified guest on trumpet during the band’s second set adds to the freedom and looseness found within the performance. The guest trumpeter is felt most during extended takes on “My Funny Valentine” and “Merl’s Tune,” both easy highlights of the entire evening. Item #: JYCD60

Tracklist:
Disc One:
1. After Midnight
2. Someday Baby
3. She’s Got Charisma ->
4. That’s Alright, Mama

Disc Two:
1. The System
2. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
3. I Second That Emotion
4. My Funny Valentine
5. Finders Keepers

Disc Three:
1. Money Honey
2. Like A Road
3. Merl’s Tune ->
4. Lion’s Share Jam
5. How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

Another Garcia release - it's been a while, it seems. Would have been cool as hell seeing Garcia play in a 200 capacity club.

I'm tempted as all hell. Jerry and Merle were my favorite of the Garcia side projects.  Maybe 'cause they were my first  :guitar .  But I've got the '78 Box Set arriving today, and the Days of the Dead box arriving also this week. And I've already got the Keystone box, a Legion of Mary official release, etc. etc.  And the net of all that is, I'll probably buy it! Just not this week. 

I skipped the 78 box. It does look great, though.

Listened to the 7/8/78 Red Rock show via Spotify - it's a good one. I know I have heard the 7/8/78 plenty of times over the years, though - the first two shows of the box are the ones I am not familiar with.