"I'm going back to San Anselmo, I do believe I've had enough...." I've heard Phil sing a time or 2 in Just Like Tom Thumb's.

The Keystone discs are really good (that encores, one, too). A lot of that era JGB is pretty easy to access. I'd like to see some more LoM stuff and maybe some Great American String Band stuff (preferably era with Taj on bass).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been listening to 6/27/83, bits and pieces. My buds first show, he raves about it. I did like Poplar Creek as a venue although I didn't know how good it really was at the time (compared to the stadium shows in the future, ugh).

Been listening to 6/27/83, bits and pieces. My buds first show, he raves about it. I did like Poplar Creek as a venue although I didn't know how good it really was at the time (compared to the stadium shows in the future, ugh).

Bertha opener is tight, but the Scarlet is a highlight (for me). It reaches a really "get off" few notes at the point where you think the "jam" is over, but it reaches higher....Nice show.

I wonder what the TV show is about:

Bob Weir spoke to The Guardian prior to his solo acoustic gig in Toronto (that featured an appearance from Justin Bieber musical director Dan Kanter) about his future plans, which includes a summer tour with Dead & Company as well as, as Weir puts it, work with Stanford University's music director Giancarlo Aquilanti to bring the Grateful Dead's music to the orchestral world. "I'm also doing a TV show, I'm writing a book and I've got a solo record coming out," he adds. "It ain't easy." 

Weir once again touches on Fare Thee Well, calling it an "adventure." He goes on, "If we had a little more rehearsal, the music may have been a little tighter, but I think we delivered the goods." When asked if his forthcoming Dead & Company plans undercut the finality of Fare Thee Well, Weir says "of course it does" while adding, "I'm nowhere near done with that heritage and legacy, and this is a new way of approaching it." 

The guitarist also compliments his Dead & Co sidekick John Mayer, saying Mayer's listening impresses him the most. "He doesn't play a lot like Jerry, and I hope he doesn't," he says. "I can still hear Jerry when we're playing anyway." 

Weir also touches on bandmate Phil Lesh, his thoughts on politics ("If Trump wins, I think the whole thing is going to blow up"), the massive Desert Trip Festival ("There wouldn't have been room for our presentation") and his plans for the remainder of his musical career as he succinctly stated, "Whatever I'm going to be doing, a lot of it will be furthering this heritage, this legacy. I'm not the guy who was saying it was the last show. I'm good to play." 

"I'm not the guy who was saying it was the last show."

I dunno, I think that's pretty disingenuous. The whole deal was called Fare Thee Well. I agree w/ mountainbed on all this stuff...though for people who dig it, hey, enjoy!

"I'm not the guy who was saying it was the last show."

I dunno, I think that's pretty disingenuous. The whole deal was called Fare Thee Well. I agree w/ mountainbed on all this stuff...though for people who dig it, hey, enjoy!

Like I've written before, it was billed as Fare Thee Well, as the last performance together of the 4 surviving members. Which it has been. I guess that's like reading the fine print. :)  But did folks think they were going to stop playing GD music in some configuration?    

Like I've written before, it was billed as Fare Thee Well, as the last performance together of the 4 surviving members. Which it has been. I guess that's like reading the fine print. :)  But did folks think they were going to stop playing GD music in some configuration?    

Going into the shows - that's the way I took it, too,  Peter Shapiro was always careful to say as much, too. I think the Mayer rumors were in the air prior to the Fare Thee Well shows, if I remember correctly.

Plus, I wouldn't care if all four did another show or two together again, anyway - actually I think it would be great if they did.

I'm loving the July 78 box so far. The first show (July 1 at Arrowhead Stadium) is very high energy. Though short, at "only" 2 hours, it's a killer long single set (they were on a Willie Nelson BBQ Fest bill, with two acts to follow). The liner notes were great to read too. I've just started to listen to the the St. Paul show this morning, which from what I read, is going to be the nadir of the 5 shows, but it's sounding great so far. The anticipation for the Red Rocks shows is building. 

If anyone would like copies, PM me, and I could set up a dropbox later this weekend.

Lammy - I saw that you went to 30 shows in '88. I would love to hear details on logistics. Was is one continuous string of shows? Hardships? Budget? Diet? Transportation? Lodgings? Did you have a group of friends that you did this with? What was a typical day like? How did you pull it off? How old were you? I was 18 that summer - just graduated from H.S. We went to the Alpine Valley shows. Those were my first shows. I'm pretty sure I had a great time, but don't remember much...

Maybe they'll practice the next time.

That would be nice.

Keep remembering a Trey interview, where he kept asking Phil if they could practice Attics -- at least the harmonies -- and Phil kept saying we'll get to it, we'll get to it. I think Trey and Bruce were the only ones who got to it.

One thing I can say for Dead & Company - they seem to rehearse - at least it sounds like it. Grant it they are touring - it's not just 3 show run, like the Fare Thee Well shows. Trey definitely gave his time, effort and attention to the shows - it appears, at least.

Lammy - I saw that you went to 30 shows in '88. I would love to hear details on logistics. Was is one continuous string of shows? Hardships? Budget? Diet? Transportation? Lodgings? Did you have a group of friends that you did this with? What was a typical day like? How did you pull it off? How old were you? I was 18 that summer - just graduated from H.S. We went to the Alpine Valley shows. Those were my first shows. I'm pretty sure I had a great time, but don't remember much...

I was on 22 and on  "sabbatical" from college in VA and had moved to N.H. with a buddy who, also, was on a leave from same school. We left N.H. in the spring with another guy we'd met (w/ about 200 bagels and 50 lbs. of cream cheese to sell to help with beer, gas, food, tix $) did all shows Atlanta->Worcester.

That summer I left from N.H. with 2 other guys on a late-night spur-of-the moment deal (I had maybe a spare t-shirt or 2) for Alpine and did all shows (except Pittsburgh) from Alpine-> Oxford, ME. 

I finished my school leave of absence that fall but was still able to catch 3 Cap Center shows and did the mini deep south tour from St.Pete->Dallas with the buddy from New Hampshire, another buddy, and a chick that I ended up dating for 7 yrs due to the trip.

Lammy did you stay in hotels during tours? I never did, we always slept in cars or tents or under cars.

I was on 22 and on  "sabbatical" from college in VA and had moved to N.H. with a buddy who, also, was on a leave from same school. We left N.H. in the spring with another guy we'd met (w/ about 200 bagels and 50 lbs. of cream cheese to sell to help with beer, gas, food, tix $) did all shows Atlanta->Worcester.

That summer I left from N.H. with 2 other guys on a late-night spur-of-the moment deal (I had maybe a spare t-shirt or 2) for Alpine and did all shows (except Pittsburgh) from Alpine-> Oxford, ME. 

I finished my school leave of absence that fall but was still able to catch 3 Cap Center shows and did the mini deep south tour from St.Pete->Dallas with the buddy from New Hampshire, another buddy, and a chick that I ended up dating for 7 yrs due to the trip.

Fantastic. I'm going to check out all the setlists at https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~./gdead/88.html

Lammy did you stay in hotels during tours? I never did, we always slept in cars or tents or under cars.

We camped at Alpine. I remember it being a heatwave, and I remember cooling off in Lake Geneva on the rest-day, and wanting to find Gary Gygax to pay our respects. 

Yeah, slept in/under cars or on the ground/in a field mostly back then and would stop at truck stops to shower here and there. Every now and then, like in New Orleans, one of us might know someone with a place to stay and we'd hotel it for a night here and there when we could, too. 

Side note: dogs wouldn't eat those bagels by the time we went from New Hampshire->ATL-> Hampton. A waste of time and $. Stupid kids,,,,

We camped at Alpine. I remember it being a heatwave, and I remember cooling off in Lake Geneva on the rest-day, and wanting to find Gary Gygax to pay our respects. 

I met my future gf's two buddies there. They were strangers to me then but they were staying at a really nice hotel/resort about a half hour away and they invited me to join them on the day off. I was able to shower and swim and they had many party favors and booze. Months later, turns out those 2 guys were great friends with her....