• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also started digging into the July '78 box.  Another top notch production of music and packaging. Only through the first disc of the first show. Very happy to have it.  Day of the Dead also came the same day, and I've been listening to a few tracks off that. Also excellent.  Anyone else get it?

I also started digging into the July '78 box.  Another top notch production of music and packaging. Only through the first disc of the first show. Very happy to have it.  Day of the Dead also came the same day, and I've been listening to a few tracks off that. Also excellent.  Anyone else get it?

I didn't get the Cover box set, but have poked around what they've put out there on youtube. The Terrapin Station was lovely. I really enjoyed that. But the southern-fried slowed-down Cumberland Blues was a turn-off. 

I also started digging into the July '78 box.  Another top notch production of music and packaging. Only through the first disc of the first show. 

Someone drop boxed me the 7.8.78 show the other day. The versions I've heard were already really good and, honestly, couldn't tell much of a difference with the new disc. Excellent show(s), either way.

Hey, we did the Gary Gygax pilgrimage too, right after I got my license in 84, Didn't find him but did stop at the Dungeon right in the heart of Lake Geneva.

Also, the only time I did stay in a hotel on tour was the nite after my first show at Alpine in 87. Stayed at the Playboy Club In Lake Geneva. I don't recall who rented the room but I do know we had a bunch of bikers stay there too. That was interesting.

Hey, we did the Gary Gygax pilgrimage too, right after I got my license in 84, Didn't find him but did stop at the Dungeon right in the heart of Lake Geneva.

My wife is his first cousin twice removed, which I think means that her paternal grandma (she was a Gygax) was his first cousin. 

I read (well....skimmed; the book was poorly written) the recent bio on Gary. Troubled but nice guy. I remember in Dragon magazine he always addressed the audience as "Gentle Readers". Btw, I have two big boxes of D&D stuff and Dragon magazines. WTH am I going to do with that stuff? My kids don't want it, there is no resale value....

I read (well....skimmed; the book was poorly written) the recent bio on Gary. Troubled but nice guy. I remember in Dragon magazine he always addressed the audience as "Gentle Readers". Btw, I have two big boxes of D&D stuff and Dragon magazines. WTH am I going to do with that stuff? My kids don't want it, there is no resale value....

Please tell me you have this:

MMcover.gif

Oh yeah, sure do. Also, DM Guide, Fiend Folio, Players Guide and tons of modules

Back to touring, my touring pals were partial to big old cars. Did the 16 hour drive to Foxboro in a 72 Caddy. '89 Spring tour in another early 70s Oldsmobile, I had a '76 Plymouth. Cheap gas, lots of elbow room, riding in style. 

There were a lot of freaks in the lot roaming around. It felt safer under a car.

I had a number of encounters with freaks in the lot at night who were so high on acid they couldn't speak but were kinda ominous and threatening in their actions. One guy kept grunting and showing us his scarred arm and hand, then he'd make this weird screech noise. Then it was back to his hand again. It was a big relief when he finally wandered away.

Yikes.

I definitely remember some weird weird freaky scary heads in the lot, in the wee wee hours, myself with a head full of acid. It wasn't like Hobbiton with flowers and little puppies and ducks and acid rainbows. It was a gravel parking lot with dirty weirdos and spinners and people who could talk backwards.

Another guy was muttering about spoiled bagels and rotten cream cheese while scratching himself and giggling.

Another guy was muttering about spoiled bagels and rotten cream cheese while scratching himself and giggling.

Heh.

Under the car: Yeah, shade from morning sun, a little bit of protection, and a little but of privacy. It's not ideal but...

I'm loving the July 78 box so far. The first show (July 1 at Arrowhead Stadium) is very high energy. Though short, at "only" 2 hours, it's a killer long single set (they were on a Willie Nelson BBQ Fest bill, with two acts to follow). The liner notes were great to read too. I've just started to listen to the the St. Paul show this morning, which from what I read, is going to be the nadir of the 5 shows, but it's sounding great so far. The anticipation for the Red Rocks shows is building. 

If anyone would like copies, PM me, and I could set up a dropbox later this weekend.

"PM on the way!" as the old folks used to say round these parts...

My 7 8 78 arrived today from amazon....Diggin' the unusual Jerry's voice inflections in both Bertha and It must have been the roses. The rest of the box...uploaded from the many sites where it has leaked. I will not have time to hear the entire thing until July though.

The July 3 St. Paul show, (I was 8 years old, and living 90 miles to the south of the show at the time, probably watching Little House on the Prairie) though it wasn't warmly reviewed at the time (the review I read said it was merely perfunctory), was great, up until the encore of Werewolves of London. Ouch. Bobby's slide solo was a travesty. Literally the worst thing I've ever heard come out of the speakers from the Grateful Dead. 

The July 3 St. Paul show, (I was 8 years old, and living 90 miles to the south of the show at the time, probably watching Little House on the Prairie) though it wasn't warmly reviewed at the time (the review I read said it was merely perfunctory), was great, up until the encore of Werewolves of London. Ouch. Bobby's slide solo was a travesty. Literally the worst thing I've ever heard come out of the speakers from the Grateful Dead. 

Wooo boy. I'll have to go back and listen, but Weir's slide never bothered me (in Werewolves, Rooster, wherever). 

Speaking of St,Paul, probably my favorite second set from '81 is 7.10.81. It looks pretty tame on paper but has some amazing playing and excellent transitions, particularly post-Drums:

Samson and Delilah

Althea

Estimated Prophet

Eyes of the World

drums

Uncle John's Band

Playin' in the Band

China Doll

Uncle John's Band

Playin' in the Band

Around and Around

Good Lovin'

Just listening to 28 April 1989....darn good show...

LOVE the China-> Rider, LLR from this show. LLR is a tune I feel doesn't get a  whole lot of love, often. I really, really like the evolution of the tune. I'm sure I've prated about this before, but it's such an anticipatory, rising action-like tune. Garcia's noodling guitar work towards the end, Brent often with the weather effect key sounds, Bobby free-form rapping, maybe some echo effect on vocals courtesy of Healy.....