Ya know, for a guy who has embraced yoga for a long time, and somewhat "clean" living, Bobby sure looks a lot older than he is. 

Sparky Anderson syndrome?

Maybe it's the hair and the beard -- though I was just thinking yesterday that he actually looks good for his age and his lifestyle. He had those issues a couple years back - so I am not all sure how 'clean' he actually was up to recently.

I think he is still sounds great and plays great, too -- sure the tempo's bug me a bit - but he played great last month when I saw him at Alpine.

(Loved watching Sparky in the dugout and field, man, he was great.)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict I will love this album.  I loved the Ratdog album.  I wonder if Bob is playing the solo on the released track.  Good production and definitely 'borrowing' a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled a ticket to see Weir at the Chicago Theater. Should be interesting to see him perform with the National guys - not really familiar with them at all, though I did see them play at a Lolla - I think.

Just pulled a ticket to see Weir at the Chicago Theater. Should be interesting to see him perform with the National guys - not really familiar with them at all, though I did see them play at a Lolla - I think.

"An Evening with Bob Weir"

-How many ladies can attest to this one.....?

I'm not a completist, don't need to hear every version of El Paso, etc. It's hard to find shortcuts to the Dead, so I love the various Grateful Dead related mixes you can find online. Here's a guy who really knows his stuff, and his tastes align with mine. He apparently had ongoing correspondence with Dick Latvala. Some really cool stuff here, and great commentary:

http://saveyourface.posthaven.com/

I'm not a completist, don't need to hear every version of El Paso, etc. It's hard to find shortcuts to the Dead, so I love the various Grateful Dead related mixes you can find online. Here's a guy who really knows his stuff, and his tastes align with mine. He apparently had ongoing correspondence with Dick Latvala. Some really cool stuff here, and great commentary:

"It is a concert plagued by errors, a combination of flubbed vocals, bum notes, and non-synchronized swimming."   :lol

"It is a concert plagued by errors, a combination of flubbed vocals, bum notes, and non-synchronized swimming."   :lol

The non-synchronized swimming quote is gold. Too often they are described as being telepathic, but the reality is they were often not on the same page. While the struggle to get there usually resulted in a payoff, it's not always worth listening to.

I'm not a completist, don't need to hear every version of El Paso, 

One of the great mysteries of the universe is why the fuck nobody among the Dead vettoed doing that song sometime along the way. I mean, I can stand it, even enjoy it, from time time but >400 times?

I've gotten thru the first 4 discs of the recently released "Day of the Dead" tribute project. Was everybody on a morphine drip during the recording of these tunes? I found most tracks to be dull, plodding, lifeless. Do I even bother with disc 5?

This is great!  Thanks for the link.  I'm listening to those Dark Star mixes from 72.

Today, i got the below email from Ticketmaster -- didn't expect or know about it. That's cool.

Your ticket order to see Bob Weir live in concert comes with a physical CD of the brand new album BLUE MOUNTAIN, his first solo album in 10 years and the first album of entirely new material in 30 years.

I've gotten thru the first 4 discs of the recently released "Day of the Dead" tribute project. Was everybody on a morphine drip during the recording of these tunes? I found most tracks to be dull, plodding, lifeless. Do I even bother with disc 5?

My experience has been just the opposite. Maybe you should just toss disc 5 like a frisbee?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Started listening to Wake Up To Find Out (the official release of the 3/29/90 show) this morning on my commute - for the first time. I had heard the Eyes of the World on Without a Net previously, but nothing else from this show.

It's fine. I really can't stand when Brent plays his fake plinky piano sound - why not just play an actual piano? But his Hammond sound is great.

But wow wow wow is We Can Run a bad song. 

But wow wow wow is We Can Run a bad song. 

It's a little cheesy but I like the harmonies in it and Garcia's (usually) lilting guitar work. It was apt for the time, too, as the GD had done work for the Rainforest benefit(s), etc. Plus, any time Brent takes lead vocals I'm down with it....

Amen to that.

Do they have any other topical songs?

I was writing new lyrics for We Can Run, such as "remember to put recycling in the green bin, but green and brown glass has its own container!!"

But the line of a "one child crying"  - why didn't Brent just write "yeah, and that fake indian dude in the commercial with the single tear!!!"

Do they have any other topical songs?

I was writing new lyrics for We Can Run, such as "remember to put recycling in the green bin, but green and brown glass has its own container!!"

But the line of a "one child crying"  - why didn't Brent just write "yeah, and that fake indian dude in the commercial with the single tear!!!"

That IS a cringe-worthy line, but in fairness, Barlow wrote it. Heh.

I always preferred the studio version of We Can Run -- actually I prefer all the studio cuts of Brent's Built to Last tunes to the live versions.

Just A Little Light was okay live.

I never could quite fully hop on board with Just a Little Light (the fucking high-pitched novelty-like keyboard spasms, I think)

This is kinda strange, but I would say the best versions of Just a Little Light were post-Brent. I thought Warren sang it well with Phil and Friends, and it had places in the tune that really took off and jammed. Really a shame that aspect of the song wasn't more fully developed with GD.

I listened to the rest of the Branford Marsalis show - there are definitely some sublime moments in the 2nd set, but all of the good momentum came to a screeching halt when they opted to play Throwing Stones - another "spinning blue ball in outer space" song about Mother Nature vs the bad guys (who are bankers and politicians), and all the bad things that are happening while Mother Nature cries in her sleep. Snore. One grammar point for Mr. Barlow (and the four other guys who wrote this song - IT TOOK 5 GUYS TO WRITE THIS SONG): The world ROTATES on its axis. (not REVOLVES).(Re: "Now watch as the ball revolves and the nighttime falls").

Here's a nice article on the show from the WSJ.

Anyway... I'm not a big fan of the "new" material that they played in the Brent (and later) eras. I can name a couple songs that I do like, like Althea, and West LA Fadeaway, but otherwise, this show just affirms my seat in the 72-74 era. 

TOPIC CHANGE:

Do any of you ever get stuck on a single show for a long time? I've been listening to the Lincoln NE show from Feb 1973 over and over and over for the past couple months. It's the same show that I praised the Big Railroad Blues in a post a while back. Still listening to it. It was my soundtrack when I entered the Glen Ellyn BBQ fest a couple weeks ago (I got an 8th place ribbon!). It's my soundtrack (in bits and pieces) when I mow the lawn, or start up the coals to grill. I keep coming back to it.