• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next Dave's Picks release announced: Boulder 12/9/81

http://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-release-1981-show-daves-picks-volume-20

I was listening to the sample tracks and I noticed Bird Song (and the rest) seemed too fast. Is this the tape or were they playing that fast in 1981? I know nothing about Dead shows from that time period.

I was listening to the sample tracks and I noticed Bird Song (and the rest) seemed too fast. Is this the tape or were they playing that fast in 1981? I know nothing about Dead shows from that time period.

Jerry and Brent most definitely were playing VERY crisply and fast during many tunes in that time. Bird Song is a fine example - as you probably know that tune sat on the shelf for a long time ('73-acoustic run in '80) but when it came back electric in early '81 it immediately became a vehicle for some of Jerry's most blinding solos. If you're a big Phil Freak he's a bit too laid back much of the time for my tastes.

I would recommend investigation of that real early Brent time frame. It's most likely my second favorite period after '72-'74.

I like my Bird Song to be as played as heard on Ladies and Gentlemen. . .The Grateful Dead.

That's an interesting thought, because although the words and melodies are about the same it's an entirely different feel. That Bird Song you speak of is one of the first 10 versions attempted. It's a great early version. Those '71 versions are in the key of D and the drums are pretty tribal-sounding - lots of toms, very little snare.  Once it was reintroduced with Brent it was in E and you hear the drums laying back, with really nice snare and cymbal work. I love 'em both. It's just a very major piece (to state the obvious!).

Just heard a few mp3 tunes caught from the Archive of the upcoming DP 20. In Jack Straw, Bob loses his mind, forget the words and the entire band derails, maybe the worst JS I can recall. Didn’t notice the accelerated pace in Bird Song though. And the China Rider are great, especially the jam in between

Jerry and Brent most definitely were playing VERY crisply and fast during many tunes in that time. Bird Song is a fine example - as you probably know that tune sat on the shelf for a long time ('73-acoustic run in '80) but when it came back electric in early '81 it immediately became a vehicle for some of Jerry's most blinding solos. If you're a big Phil Freak he's a bit too laid back much of the time for my tastes.

I would recommend investigation of that real early Brent time frame. It's most likely my second favorite period after '72-'74.

Have been listening to Dicks Pick Vol. 13 (5/6/81) today - not the best sounding release, but Disc 1 it is great while going for a drive. The Scar/Fire from 11/1/79 filler on disc two is superb. 

Next up is the Road Trips Vol. 1 - Fall '79.

That Jack Straw on the latest Dave's Pick is bad. It's certainly not the catastrophe I've been reading in comments though. 

It's a good show regardless.

They fuck it all up in a few spots but the jam is solid and almost makes up for it but not quite. The LLR is fantastic and the China->Rider top-notch. The matrix mix on archives is surprisingly very good (the building has a reputation for poor sound).

The 10/27/90 Paris show from the 30 Trips Box is pretty sublime. First set is pretty standard but solid. China Cat to open set two makes you wonder why that song tanked so hard in later years, but the Rider gets the blood pumping. Really solid version of Saint of Circumstance, and listening to it with headphones on there is a weird drone going on in the background, not sure if it's keyboards, Phil, or Mickey. Beautiful playing from there out, particularly a real purty Stella Blue. Thumbs up!

The 10/27/90 Paris show from the 30 Trips Box is pretty sublime. First set is pretty standard but solid. China Cat to open set two makes you wonder why that song tanked so hard in later years, but the Rider gets the blood pumping. Really solid version of Saint of Circumstance, and listening to it with headphones on there is a weird drone going on in the background, not sure if it's keyboards, Phil, or Mickey. Beautiful playing from there out, particularly a real purty Stella Blue. Thumbs up!

I've enjoyed that one too.  Love Saint.  I'm not too familiar with that tour.  There's gotta be some more highlights.

Speaking of the 90 Europe tour, wasn't their rumors during that time that Brent wasn't going to make it there, due to legal problems.

Perhaps I read it in a book.

Hate bringing this type of stuff up, but it's bugging me. 

That Paris show is a good one.

After one listen, Dave's Pick 20 is okay - nothing earth shattering. 

I have been listening and enjoying 79 lately - thanks to mountain bed bringing it up. 

I've enjoyed that one too.  Love Saint.  I'm not too familiar with that tour.  There's gotta be some more highlights.

I love set 2 from 10/20 Berlin. I got the FM that circulated at the time.

Speaking of the 90 Europe tour, wasn't their rumors during that time that Brent wasn't going to make it there, due to legal problems.

I have been listening and enjoying 79 lately - thanks to mountain bed bringing it up. 

My pleasure!

Speaking of '90, I listened to the2nd set of MSG 9.20.90 yesterday. After Trucking opens it, a really solid China->Rider follows. And while post-Drums features a Dark Star->Playin' Reprise (continued from the previous night's 2nd set opener)-> Dark Star, the highlight for me is the Throwing Stones. 

Man, that song really grew into a beauty over the years. The jamming in this one is full-blown. I used to love this tune live as it was one of those , at THAT point in the tune, that just seemed to blast off and shine bright, 

This one reminds me of the phenomenal one from 2nd night Warlocks show. The place lit up during it and it wasn't even the highlight that night....