Speaking of '90, listening to Brent's last show right now (7.23.90).I haven't heard such a good recording of it until now (gdradio.net). The "Good Times/Never Trust" has a bunch of Brent vocal reverb/echo, especially in the last verses(s). Always liked that stuff.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 December 1972 Truckin > Other One > Dew....

Ya - that's pretty amazing...

Happened to be listening to this show this week. The playing is astounding as noted, particularly the build ups in Other One. Real edge of the seat insanity there. One thing that bugs me about this and other shows from this period is the pedal Bob uses at times. Is it a flange or something? It could be cool in spots, say if used in a Spanish or MLB jam or other spacey improv. But I think it detracts from songs like Dew, as it is jarring, and I just prefer that classic sound from Europe 72. Bob didn't use the pedal for long thankfully, so it seems there was likely unhappiness with it within the band.

I love set 2 from 10/20 Berlin. I got the FM that circulated at the time.

My pleasure!

The jam in between Let it Grow and Box of Rain from this show is sublime. One of my favorite aspect of the Hornsby era were these drawn out piano lead jams, that could have kind of a celestial/cosmic vibe to them, for lack of a better description.

First Joe Russo's Almost Dead show last night. Unfortunately San Diego House of Blues is as much of a hole as it was when I swore I'd never return 8 years ago. Hope it's another 8 years at least. But worth breaking my vow for these guys. Grateful Dead shows always have the ability to surprise you with just the right song when you need it, and the crowd sure was feeling the Touch of Grey opener, particularly when the chorus switched from "I will get by" to "We will get by." Poignant. Entire set was well played, but being off to the side the sound was incredibly muddy, like listening with ear muffs on. The other highlight for me was Dancin' in the Streets, as it was my personal theme song during the Cubs playoff run. "They're dancin' in Chicago..."

Managed to move to the middle of the floor for set 2 and sound was much improved. Really a perfect set. The Eleven, on 11/11 was ecstatic. To see this song executed so well live is a thing to behold. I've seen Phil's Quintet do it before, but I think this was likely superior. Same with the Other One. Just dizzying. At one point, pretty sure it was in Other One, the band was building up to a peak during a Marco solo, but they just weren't quite synching up. Marco resolved that by ripping the keyboard of the stand and playing it like a keytar. The place went nuts. Also amazing to see Joe go apeshit and lead the band at times, never seen a drummer take control like he did. When it was time for a change he would just take over and go wild, and the rest of the band would jump on. I love Stella Blue, they played it as well as can be without Jerry, but it doesn't hold a candle to the way he did, sadly. Beat it out of dodge before the encore. I'm old.

Jam>Touch of Grey>Reuben and Cherise>Vampire Blues>Dancing in the Streets, Brown Eyed Women>St. Stephen>Feel Like a Stranger

Chinacat Sunflower>The Eleven>Truckin'>The Other One, Stella Blue>Let it Grow

e: Brokedown Palace

And speaking of the Q, this show is reminiscent of 11/8/01 at the Aragon Ballroom, first Phil show after 9/11. Also featured a nice version of the Eleven, and quite a bit of catharsis. God bless the Grateful Dead. They survived Nixon. We will get by.

Speaking of '90, I listened to the2nd set of MSG 9.20.90 yesterday. After Trucking opens it, a really solid China->Rider follows. And while post-Drums features a Dark Star->Playin' Reprise (continued from the previous night's 2nd set opener)-> Dark Star, the highlight for me is the Throwing Stones. 

Man, that song really grew into a beauty over the years. The jamming in this one is full-blown. I used to love this tune live as it was one of those , at THAT point in the tune, that just seemed to blast off and shine bright, 

This one reminds me of the phenomenal one from 2nd night Warlocks show. The place lit up during it and it wasn't even the highlight that night....

I've probably posted this before, I was at that show. One of my top 5 all time concerts, and the second set may have been the single best GD set I had the fortune to be at. The entire day was one of those magical GD things. My wife and I drove down to MSG for one of the earlier shows in the run, the Saturday show where they opened with Touch. I then bought a single seat way up behind the stage just in case I would go down again. The morning of I had no intentions of going. As I recall, September 20 was a Jewish high holiday, and I was at services with my wife and 2 young kids when I got a call from my friend in NYC who's brother worked for Arista. He had picked the band up at the airport when they flew in. My friend tells me her brother had 4 free Arista tix in the 13th row dead center for us. I talk to my fantastic wife, I leave services, go home to change and get on the road, get to my friend's home on the upper west side in like 3 hours, we go pick up her brother in mid-town and sure enough we have 13th row free tix in hand. And he has a signed Arista promo photo for me (still hanging in my house). Catch up with my NYC touring buddy, stub him down to the floor, unbeknownst to me he gets busted by an usher and thrown out of the building, I don't know why he never showed up at our seats the entire first set (he was holding everything for us!), find him at set break to learn he got thrown out and scalped a $10 ticket on the street and made it back in, spend the second set together in my seats, and catch the most awesome second set. 

So many unbelievable highlights in that set. Just to name a few, Hornsby's piano solo in Rider brings the house down, the jams in and out of Dark Star both times, especially the very deep space for the second verse, coming out into that full throated Throwing Stones, the most awesome Touch (don't overlook this version of Touch) and the Lovelight encore. One of those nights when the band was sizzling on all cylinders, the magic was flowing off the stage and enveloping the entire Garden. I have no memory of the first set, this night was all about the second set.

What a shame they never put it out as a full show, but completely chopped it up in that MSG '90 Road Trips release. Criminal!

And that's my story. 

I've probably posted this before, I was at that show. One of my top 5 all time concerts, and the second set may have been the single best GD set I had the fortune to be at. The entire day was one of those magical GD things. My wife and I drove down to MSG for one of the earlier shows in the run, the Saturday show where they opened with Touch. I then bought a single seat way up behind the stage just in case I would go down again. The morning of I had no intentions of going. As I recall, September 20 was a Jewish high holiday, and I was at services with my wife and 2 young kids when I got a call from my friend in NYC who's brother worked for Arista. He had picked the band up at the airport when they flew in. My friend tells me her brother had 4 free Arista tix in the 13th row dead center for us. I talk to my fantastic wife, I leave services, go home to change and get on the road, get to my friend's home on the upper west side in like 3 hours, we go pick up her brother in mid-town and sure enough we have 13th row free tix in hand. And he has a signed Arista promo photo for me (still hanging in my house). Catch up with my NYC touring buddy, stub him down to the floor, unbeknownst to me he gets busted by an usher and thrown out of the building, I don't know why he never showed up at our seats the entire first set (he was holding everything for us!), find him at set break to learn he got thrown out and scalped a $10 ticket on the street and made it back in, spend the second set together in my seats, and catch the most awesome second set. 

So many unbelievable highlights in that set. Just to name a few, Hornsby's piano solo in Rider brings the house down, the jams in and out of Dark Star both times, especially the very deep space for the second verse, coming out into that full throated Throwing Stones, the most awesome Touch (don't overlook this version of Touch) and the Lovelight encore. One of those nights when the band was sizzling on all cylinders, the magic was flowing off the stage and enveloping the entire Garden. I have no memory of the first set, this night was all about the second set.

What a shame they never put it out as a full show, but completely chopped it up in that MSG '90 Road Trips release. Criminal!

And that's my story. 

Great show, particularly the post Space segment. Too bad they didn't pair Throwin'>Touch together more often. Fun combo. And Lovelight is a nice encore choice. MSG energy can't be beat.

Happened to be listening to this show this week. The playing is astounding as noted, particularly the build ups in Other One. Real edge of the seat insanity there. One thing that bugs me about this and other shows from this period is the pedal Bob uses at times. Is it a flange or something? It could be cool in spots, say if used in a Spanish or MLB jam or other spacey improv. But I think it detracts from songs like Dew, as it is jarring, and I just prefer that classic sound from Europe 72. Bob didn't use the pedal for long thankfully, so it seems there was likely unhappiness with it within the band.

Regarding 31 December 1972...

David Crosby provided rhythm during this as well...He isn't too intrusive (he had the high pitched clangy sound)...

The jam after the Other One and before Morning Dew is really beautiful...

December 1972 was a real peak for Jerry. The 12-10 and 12-11 shows featured stunningly aggressive PITBs...the 12/10 Other One was nuts...the 12/11 Dark Star was psychotic...the 12/15 Truckin' Dark Star is amazingly unappreciated...and the 12/31 show was among his finest jams...

December was different than Europe, the summer shows, or the September through November shows...Jerry hit a next gear that I don't think he was able to match in subsequent years...

Regarding 31 December 1972...

David Crosby provided rhythm during this as well...He isn't too intrusive (he had the high pitched clangy sound)...

The jam after the Other One and before Morning Dew is really beautiful...

December 1972 was a real peak for Jerry. The 12-10 and 12-11 shows featured stunningly aggressive PITBs...the 12/10 Other One was nuts...the 12/11 Dark Star was psychotic...the 12/15 Truckin' Dark Star is amazingly unappreciated...and the 12/31 show was among his finest jams...

December was different than Europe, the summer shows, or the September through November shows...Jerry hit a next gear that I don't think he was able to match in subsequent years...

Interesting about Crosby, as I know I've heard that sound in other shows from around that time, but I guess that was him as well. I knew he played with them at times, particularly with David and the Dorks et al, but guess I didn't know he was that much of a player so it didn't cross my mind. He seems to hang with them pretty well, despite the annoying tone.

Just found out that my in-laws may be going the grab bag route this Xmas -- my 4 year subscription run may be coming to an end, barring a Xmas miracle.

This may be the first thing that I am blaming Trump on....Damn him.

21 does look good.

I stumbled upon this show a couple days ago. First, yes it is a show from (GASP) '94. BUT, don't let THAT alone dissuade you from giving it a sniff. Particularly, the St. of Circumstance and the SOTM.

While it truly is a solid show (Vince is even a bit reserved both musically and vocally), the St. of Circumstance rocks and my favorite part is the background vocals from Garcia during the rocking chorus verses at the end. He twists the vocals up all high and tight to put a different take on the tune, which I get a huge kick out of.

The SOTM is flat-out killer, with similar sentiments on the vocals towards the end of the tune. While not Autzen '93 SOTM, this one is fantastic and a must-listen version:

https://archive.org/details/gd94-03-31.sbd.miller.14833.sbeok.shnf

I stumbled upon this show a couple days ago. First, yes it is a show from (GASP) '94. BUT, don't let THAT alone dissuade you from giving it a sniff. Particularly, the St. of Circumstance and the SOTM.

While it truly is a solid show (Vince is even a bit reserved both musically and vocally), the St. of Circumstance rocks and my favorite part is the background vocals from Garcia during the rocking chorus verses at the end. He twists the vocals up all high and tight to put a different take on the tune, which I get a huge kick out of.

The SOTM is flat-out killer, with similar sentiments on the vocals towards the end of the tune. While not Autzen '93 SOTM, this one is fantastic and a must-listen version:

https://archive.org/details/gd94-03-31.sbd.miller.14833.sbeok.shnf

Were 6-song first sets the norm for this era?

They are also re-re-releasing the first album:

Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Track List

Disc 1
1. "The Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion)"
2. "Beat It On Down the Line"
3. "Good Morning Little School Girl"
4. "Cold Rain & Snow"
5. "Sitting on Top of the World"
6. "Cream Puff War"
7. "Morning Dew"
8. "New, New Minglewood Blues"
9. "Viola Lee Blues"

Disc Two: P.N.E. Garden Auditorium, Vancouver, BC, Canada
7/29/66
1. "Standing on the Corner"
2. "I Know You Rider"
3. "Next Time You See Me"
4. "Sitting on Top of the World"
5. "You Don’t Have to Ask"
6. "Big Boss Man"
7. "Stealin’"
8. "Cardboard Cowboy"
9. "Baby Blue"
10. "Cream Puff War"
11. "Viola Lee Blues"
12. "Beat It On Down The Line"
13. "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl"
7/30/66
14. "Cold, Rain and Snow"
15. "One Kind Favor"
16. "Hey Little One"
17. "New, New Minglewood Blues"

Can't have too much '73 Dead. My single favorite GD year. This is an excellent show. I'm probably not going to do the subscription again this year, but I will be hot to get this one when it gets announced for sale. 

Can't have too much '73 Dead. My single favorite GD year. This is an excellent show. I'm probably not going to do the subscription again this year, but I will be hot to get this one when it gets announced for sale. 

...compared to a 16-tune 1st set and a 14-tune 2nd set.....

The HC Sunshine > Space > Bobby McGee alone is worth the price of the CDs. Killer Eyes (per usual) as well.

meh. I'll dropbox it to you.

Would you consider doing this for a couple of us?  :twitchsmile

I already have the show in SBD quality, but of course it's always nice to get a cleaner copy. Looking for ways to cut back for 2017 and the Dave's sub is #1 on the chopping block.