• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard Mickey's Rolling Thunder version of 'Playin in the Band' or Main Ten on XM---- don't think I every heard it before. Pretty cool version.

Didn't realize Rolling Thunder was Spotify.

Amazing amount of Dead and JGB shows from the Capitol Theater out there.

Yes, quite a bit of GD and GD related videos from the Pasaic Cap have made their way to YouTube. Saw many shows in that venue. This was a John Scher venue. He also promoted the Dead shows at Roosevelt Stadium, and the full video from the '76 show is also available. I wonder whether the release of all these videos is his doing, or if he sold/transferred these to Wolfgang's Vault. My daughter is very good friends with his daughter, I may ask her to ask her dad how these have made their way to YouTube. 

Yes, quite a bit of GD and GD related videos from the Pasaic Cap have made their way to YouTube. Saw many shows in that venue. This was a John Scher venue. He also promoted the Dead shows at Roosevelt Stadium, and the full video from the '76 show is also available. I wonder whether the release of all these videos is his doing, or if he sold/transferred these to Wolfgang's Vault. My daughter is very good friends with his daughter, I may ask her to ask her dad how these have made their way to YouTube. 

I think these videos were owned by Wolfgang's Vault at one point, before that site was sold to whoever. Seems like they just had the good sense to record everything.

I believe Bill Graham's organization filmed shows back in the day. I don't recall what the reasoning was - just to have a record of the event, close circuit viewing somewhere else, etc.

Yeah - that's what I am thinking, the whole close circuit thing. Maybe the local PBS TV station was cool and played the shows. I don't think the whole pay-per-view thing was working in the mid to late 70s.

Perhaps they showed their own venue's past concerts at the Capital on nights when they did not have live show going on. Or they planned to do it.

One would guess they had reasons on why they filmed the shows - it probably wasn't the cheapest endeavor.

I need some help.  How do you navigate archive.org? I'm to get some Ratdog and can't for the life of me get the shows to show up in a list according to the tour date. It's all these random lists or icons. I'm so confused. Not sure why when you click the year you don't get a list of tour dates and the available copies below it.

Thanks for any help :-)

I always put Archive Ratdog (or Archive Dead  / Archive Lesh) in Google and their page comes up.

Find the year on the left of the page (hit more if you can't find the year)

Once your are in year section and on the far right of the Sort By bar there is 5 blue lines - hit that and click on the show details box. Hit the Date Publish tab and the shows will get in date order.

I still like the old look -but have gotten use to the new one.

Wasn't there a system where people would pay to watch such a thing at a movie theater?

I am pretty certain this wasn't going on at the time, I surely would have known about it and been going to the theater. Also pretty sure the Cap was not replaying these shows on other nights. I'll check around with my buddies. We were off to college by September '75l but were still catching shows at the Cap later when home for holidays. I know for certain the August '76 show at Roosevelt Stadium was not being simulcast anywhere. Was very surprised when that turned up on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe not for the GD - but I think there were for other bands and sporting events.

Maybe he just filmed the shows to have a record of it.

Is one of those shows the show or encore where Jerry is jumping around playing his guitar?

I always put Archive Ratdog (or Archive Dead  / Archive Lesh) in Google and their page comes up.

Find the year on the left of the page (hit more if you can't find the year)

Once your are in year section and on the far right of the Sort By bar there is 5 blue lines - hit that and click on the show details box. Hit the Date Publish tab and the shows will get in date order.

I still like the old look -but have gotten use to the new one.

Yes that helped! Thanks so much. I miss the old layout too. Websites are just becoming so busy and cluttered. You'd think archive would be more straight forward since it's entire purpose is for research. Music collections could be listed alphabetically then on the collection page, year links posted prominently. That should lead to shows by tour date with 'other copies' right below. It'd also be nice if 'aud/sbd' was listed right there as well.

Thanks again!

I think that was the Duke, 78 show where Jerry is jumping around a bit during US Blues.

Yeah you're correct. 4/12/78. Classic footage.

Maybe not for the GD - but I think there were for other bands and sporting events.

I don't know of bands doing PPV (movie theaters, etc.)but there was most definitely that going on for boxing. I think Ali/Frazier '71 was the earliest I've ever heard of.

Check this out:

Thought lost for thirty-five years, this rare concert brings you the Beach Boys at the peak of their performing talents. Early in 1964, promoters put together a mega-concert with the hottest stars of the day: the Beatles, Lesley Gore and the Beach Boys. The performances were taped live and aired on closed circuit. The Beach Boys' portion of the show was lost until 1998, but now it can be savored by their millions of fans on home video for the first time. Songs: Fun Fun Fun, Long Tall Texan, Little Deuce Coupe, Surfer Girl, Surfin' USA, Shut Down, In My Room, Papa Oom-Mow-Mow, Hawaii.

Just responding to topic about capital theater in passaic nj. There are so many videos because yes there were video screens on both sides of the stage even back in the 70's and even though theaters of that size, like the cap in port chester ny today, do not have screens. I saw Jerry Garcia Band there in 78 and Kingfish as well. famous springsteen 78 shows filmed there and available as well. Never saw the Dead there but did see them at the palladium in Nyc in spring of 77 and at englishtown nj also in 77 as my first jersey show. Love talking dead on the wilco site, two of my all time favorites. 

I don't know of bands doing PPV (movie theaters, etc.)but there was most definitely that going on for boxing. I think Ali/Frazier '71 was the earliest I've ever heard of.

I saw one of the Dead's  Fall 1980 Radio City Music Hall shows on PPV at the Orpheum Theater in Boston.  They later turned the footage into the Dead Ahead DVD.