I saw one of the Dead's  Fall 1980 Radio City Music Hall shows on PPV at the Orpheum Theater in Boston.  They later turned the footage into the Dead Ahead DVD.

That was 10/31/1980.  I went the last 3 nights. Also love the orpheum and saw some good shows there when in college including Garcia Band 2/15/80. Good stuff.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 years ago today: the (to my knowledge) first acoustic set the GD ever performed. Quite a few rarities in set 1, and a very good Dark Star of the late TC period.

https://archive.org/details/gd69-12-26.sbd.murphy.1821.sbeok.shnf

EDIT: Ha! I guess the set (4 tunes) from a week earlier on 12/19 is the first, per DeadBase. But I haven't heard that one, so there!  :stunned

Recording of JRAD's 12/30/16 show that includes Hoodoo Voodoo, a song that Joe and Marco used to cover when they were in a band with Mike Gordon of Phish. Nice to see it get jammed out a bit for 7 minutes in a Viola Lee sandwich:

https://archive.org/details/jrad2016-12-30.cmc621.cmc641vxt.sbd.matrix.flac24

I was at that JRAD show at the Capitol theater in NY and was totally surprised/psyched when they started playing it and I believe the first time they played it. It was really good. Had a nice double shot here skiing in vermont yesterday as the lift we were getting on was playing China Cat and as we were getting on the next song was Pot Kettle Black. 

Recording of JRAD's 12/30/16 show that includes Hoodoo Voodoo, a song that Joe and Marco used to cover when they were in a band with Mike Gordon of Phish. Nice to see it get jammed out a bit for 7 minutes in a Viola Lee sandwich:

https://archive.org/details/jrad2016-12-30.cmc621.cmc641vxt.sbd.matrix.flac24

I had no idea they previously played Hoodoo. Nor was I aware they played in a band with Gordon. Thx for the info!

I had no idea they previously played Hoodoo. Nor was I aware they played in a band with Gordon. Thx for the info!

GRAB:  Gordon, Russo,Anastasio and Benevutto  opened up for Phil and Friends one summer some years back.  Caught 3 or 4 show that summer and was surprised that GRAB played pretty much the same set every night

GRAB:  Gordon, Russo,Anastasio and Benevutto  opened up for Phil and Friends one summer some years back.  Caught 3 or 4 show that summer and was surprised that GRAB played pretty much the same set every night

The three of them played in a band for a few years prior to Anastasio joining for that summer tour. That trio was the lineup that did Hoodoo.

So I was sure I wasn't going to do the Dave's Picks subscription this year. But today they just announced the second release, Felt Forum 12/7/71, to go along with the already announced Boston 4/2/73 show. So I'm in for the series.

I get a kick out of reading the complaints on the dead.net reply thread that always follows a new Dave's Picks announcement - that ask for something in the 80s. Deadheads can get so crabby!

The three of them played in a band for a few years prior to Anastasio joining for that summer tour. That trio was the lineup that did Hoodoo.

probably why I don't remember them doing it 

I get a kick out of reading the complaints on the dead.net reply thread that always follows a new Dave's Picks announcement - that ask for something in the 80s. Deadheads can get so crabby!

i have a whole bunch of soundboards and good auds from my show going days on my ipod, maybe not as cleaned up as the picks but its the dead after all.  perfection was never the goal. 

So I was sure I wasn't going to do the Dave's Picks subscription this year. But today they just announced the second release, Felt Forum 12/7/71, to go along with the already announced Boston 4/2/73 show. So I'm in for the series.

Looking forward to the 1st two, too.

12/5/71 was one of my first boot legs tapes.

i have a whole bunch of soundboards and good auds from my show going days on my ipod, maybe not as cleaned up as the picks but its the dead after all.  perfection was never the goal. 

Ditto. I never really understand/-stood paying out the ass for already readily available and perfectly fine audio of free music.

12/5/71 was one of my first boot legs tapes.

I have 45-50 minutes of 12/5/71 on a bootleg LP. My first (of two) LP boots (the other is 6/14/85 ftr). Nothing special, other than "Muddy Water" - it's just songs. 

I have 45-50 minutes of 12/5/71 on a bootleg LP. My first (of two) LP boots (the other is 6/14/85 ftr). Nothing special, other than "Muddy Water" - it's just songs. 

Yeah - It's a nice easy intro to the Dead world when you are a teenager coming out of Stones/Zeppelin/Maiden world - just pretty much straight up songs, that kinda of rocked and swung. I only had the 1st set on tape.

At the time I only had the Skeletons comp. and Dead Set. 

Love that version of Muddy Water. Maybe my favorite one off they ever did. Not surprised it didn't stick around, there wasn't much for them to do with it. Pretty song though. 

I was listening to DP Volume 4 yesterday and noticed there is another photo of Phil standing behind the drummers inside the booklet. I have often wondered why he stood back there. I don't recall seeing any other bass player do that (one that I can think of anyhow).

I was listening to DP Volume 4 yesterday and noticed there is another photo of Phil standing behind the drummers inside the booklet. I have often wondered why he stood back there. I don't recall seeing any other bass player do that (one that I can think of anyhow).

It was Phil's shy period

Good question. He was behind the drummers a lot, even into '72. Maybe it had something to do with his hearing and different stage dynamics at different venues? Merely a wild guess.