• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be. I don't recall reading any sort of reason in the GD Gear book. I am guessing he was not doing any vocals from that spot.

(On a sort of related note - I saw a video recently of a certain stock car racer guitar player (as Neil would say). He had the band tucked off to the side of the stage while he was front and center with a mountain of amps behind him.)

It must be. I don't recall reading any sort of reason in the GD Gear book. I am guessing he was not doing any vocals from that spot.

(On a sort of related note - I saw a video recently of a certain stock car racer guitar player (as Neil would say). He had the band tucked off to the side of the stage while he was front and center with a mountain of amps behind him.)

Joe Bannanamocha?

here's a shot where Weir and Lesh are both behind the drummers.

51mlhz0DtfL._SX498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm about 99% sure that's from the Sky River Festival, 9/2/68 - one of the better shows that got circulated early on. I LOVE that show.

Now I am thinking of the way Phish lines up - in a line across the stage.

That configuration was a direct result of the way the stage at Nectar's (a smallish Burlington club where they honed their craft) was laid out. They kept that as they moved on to bigger venues. 

I thought that was in recent years they went to the configuration. Maybe they have went back and forth - I say that I am sure I saw some videos where they had the drums in the traditional center space. I was watching some ELP videos recently and it amazes me Keith is right in front of those amps. Of course that was pretty standard back then. You know most of those guys probably had hearing problems by the time they were 30. I guessing the GD never cranked it that loud. I could be wrong. There is a lot of talk about sound and PA systems in that GD Gear book.

I guess this is a good reason to keep Amazon Prime:

The Amir Bar-Lev directed/Martin Scorsese-produced documentary about the Grateful Dead slated to premiere at the Sundance Film Festival, will debut on May 26 via Amazon Prime and Video.

The Hollywood Reporter notes that Amazon acquired the documentary ahead of its premiere at Sundance, as Long Strange Trip traces the Dead’s rise to fame through its Bay Area roots to stadium-selling act. The six-part documentary includes never before seen archival footage including audio recordings and live tracks.

As for the film’s premiere at Sundance, Kreutzmann, Hart, Weir and Trixie Garcia will all be in attendance (all, along with Phil Lesh, are listed as executive producers).

“I’ve always admired the spirit and creativity of the Grateful Dead,” said Scorsese. “They are revolutionary artists who forever changed the world of touring and recording live music. They were a cultural force — a lifestyle, that continue to influence new generations of fans.”

Good news that it will be six parts, hopefully that means at least 6 hours. Still think there has to be some kind of dvd with tons of bonus footage released.

Side note, do you think Scorsese could name 5 Dead songs? Of all the great tunes he's had in his movies (except for Foo Fighters), Dead have not made the cut.

Side note, do you think Scorsese could name 5 Dead songs? Of all the great tunes he's had in his movies (except for Foo Fighters), Dead have not made the cut.

I would bet he knows more about American music than you assume. He wouldn't have involved himself in this project if he wasn't aware of them.

I would bet he knows more about American music than you assume. He wouldn't have involved himself in this project if he wasn't aware of them.

I'm sure he knows more about American music than 99% of people, but doesn't know 5 Dead songs either.

I'm sure he knows more about American music than 99% of people, but doesn't know 5 Dead songs either.

Regardless (and remember he did do The Last Waltz) is there a better person to produce a film? Whether he knows 5 tunes or not (and I'm betting he does), he knows about their cultural/musical relevance (from Rolling Stone):

"I've always admired the spirit and creativity of the Grateful Dead," Scorsese said in a statement following the Amazon acquisition. "They are revolutionary artists who forever changed the world of touring and recording live music. They were a cultural force — a lifestyle, that continue to influence new generations of fans. This film will entertain and educate audiences about one of the most innovative and groundbreaking American bands of the 20th century."

and edited (and was present for all performances of) Woodstock.

Not sure why the assumption starts with thinking he couldn't name 5 songs. 

I guess it's based on my familiarity with Scorsese, his films, and his taste in music. And my feeling that his production company is producing the film, but his involvement is pretty limited.

The Scorsese quote in the previous quote is about as generic as it gets and doesn't reveal that he knows anymore about the Dead than my mom does. 

But now that I found out he was involved in the Last Waltz and Woodstock, that changes everything. Thanks for the news flash fellas.

"I've always admired the spirit and creativity of the Grateful Dead," Scorsese said in a statement following the Amazon acquisition. "They are revolutionary artists who forever changed the world of touring and recording live music. They were a cultural force — a lifestyle, that continue to influence new generations of fans. This film will entertain and educate audiences about one of the most innovative and groundbreaking American bands of the 20th century."

I love this.

I guess it's based on my familiarity with Scorsese, his films, and his taste in music. And my feeling that his production company is producing the film, but his involvement is pretty limited.

I get it, I guess. though I'm drawing the opposite conclusion from the same sources. Though he hasn't used any Dylan songs (or Beatles songs for that matter) in his movies either - would you also say he couldn't name 5 songs by either of those?

So, if you were on a game show, and sitting for the final $10,000,000 question, and Martin Scorsese walks up to the podium, and Wink Martindale asks you to bet whether or not Scorsese can name 5 Grateful Dead songs, you're going with the under?

I'm just wondering how he's going to work Gimme Shelter into this one. 

Obviously, when the Dead's involvement with Altamont is discussed - only stipulation/point of direction that Scorsese probably gave to Amir Bar-Lev.