• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if I had a record player, I probably will skip this.

I wonder if all the below are being reissued - even the Elvin Bishop one. Guessing the 5 song American Beauty EP will not be part of it.

Also, It seems that there are a few of repeats - I wonder if they are different versions.

I guess it would be cool to have the Touch of Grey/My Brother Esau - I always enjoyed My Brother Esau.

Grateful Dead: Singles

Stealin' / Don't Ease Me In, Grateful Dead, 1966

The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) / Cream Puff War, Grateful Dead, 1967

Dark Star / Born Cross-Eyed, Grateful Dead, 1968 Dupree's Diamond Blues / Cosmic Charlie, Grateful Dead, 196

Uncle John's Band / New Speedway Boogie, Grateful Dead, 1970

Truckin' / Ripple, Grateful Dead, 1971

American Beauty 5 track EP, Grateful Dead, 1971?

Johnny B. Goode / So Fine, Grateful Dead / Elvin Bishop Group, 1972

Johnny B. Goode / Truckin', Grateful Dead, 1972

Sugar Magnolia / Mr. Charlie, Grateful Dead, 1972

Let Me Sing Your Blues Away / Here Comes Sunshine, Grateful Dead, 1973

Eyes Of The World / Weather Report Suite Part 1, Grateful Dead, 1973

Truckin' / Sugar Magnolia, Grateful Dead, 1974?

U. S. Blues / Loose Lucy, Grateful Dead, 1974

The Music Never Stopped / Help On The Way, Grateful Dead, 1975

Franklin's Tower / Help On The Way, Grateful Dead, 1976

Dancing In The Streets / Terrapin Station, Grateful Dead, 1977

Passenger / Terrapin Station, Grateful Dead, 1977

Good Lovin' / Stagger Lee, Grateful Dead, 1978

Shakedown Street / France, Grateful Dead, 1979

Alabama Getaway / Far From Me, Grateful Dead, 1980

Don't Ease me In / Far From Me, Grateful Dead, 1980

Alabama Getaway / Shakedown Street, Grateful Dead, 1981

Touch Of Grey / My Brother Esau, Grateful Dead, 1987

Throwing Stones / When Push Comes To Shove, Grateful Dead, 1988

Alabama Getaway / Shakedown Street / Throwing Stones, Grateful Dead, 1988

Touch Of Grey / Throwing Stones, Grateful Dead, 1988

Foolish Heart / We Can Run, Grateful Dead, 1989

Dark Star 12" single, Grateful Dead, 2012

Side By Side: Records Store Day single, Grateful Dead / Dr John / The Dixie Cups, 2013

It is a bit strange of a release given their inability to be captured in the studio compared to live performance. It does sound like a nice collection to have all in one place but like prior poster it is hard to get excited about studio versions of songs already on albums. They actually did release singles but were generally so unhappy with how their studio albums came out that they really did nothing to ever promote singles releases and my understanding is it was all handled by record companies and part of the recording distribution package. Personally, i will stick with the live releases as they never disappoint.  Feeling old as the 40th anniversary of my first dead show approaches April 29, 1977 at the Palladium in NYC.

I suppose they are doing this to get on in the vinyl craze. Plus it may be more of Rhino's idea than the GD management. I think I have In The Dark on vinyl. Someone gave it to me years ago. 

Feeling old as the 40th anniversary of my first dead show approaches April 29, 1977 at the Palladium in NYC.

Really fantastic show! I wasn't there, but love the smokin' opening Help-->Slip->Frank (20= minute Franklin's?!) opener, the "Music" is rocking as hell, and the "Sugaree" is smoooooooth. Did you go to others on this spring tour (one of their best ever)??

Feeling old as the 40th anniversary of my first dead show approaches April 29, 1977 at the Palladium in NYC.

Really fantastic show! I wasn't there, but love the smokin' opening Help-->Slip->Frank (20= minute Franklin's?!) opener, the "Music" is rocking as hell, and the "Sugaree" is smoooooooth. Did you go to others on this spring tour (one of their best ever)??

Happy anniversary! I often mark the anniversaries of memorable GD shows, always fun to remember and helps me decide what to listen to that day. And hey, "feeling old" can be just a state of mind. Listening to the Dead keeps me feeling young, whatever the calendar says! :guitar  

And hey, "feeling old" can be just a state of mind. Listening to the Dead keeps me feeling young, whatever the calendar says! :guitar  

A good pal I grew up with in CT (and a 'head) who turned 50 (I know, young to some, "old" to others) the other was thanking all the people who wished him a happy birthday on FB and said something I found really cool:

"Thanks for all the thoughtful birthday wishes. Old age is a privilege denied to many. My birthday wish this year is for all of my friends on FB and IRL to learn something new, and have a little fun each day."

Today I learned that there's a whole thing to counting off the beat during the intro to Beat It On Down The Line. I did not know that. 

Yeah, they did 42 into beats at the Kaiser in '85 for Mickey's birthday:

https://archive.org/details/gd85-09-11.sbd.barbella.11494.sbeok.shnf

This is a goofy intro/flub from '70. Really good show, too (even a "Frozen Logger")!

https://archive.org/details/gd1970-12-26.sbd.unknown.14124.sbefail.shnf

Just finished listening to all of February 1973. It could be their finest month. Every night was exceptional...

Just for the sake of argument I'll go with November 1973, but yeah - February is mighty fine.

Unfortunately that was the only one of spring tour. I had just turned 17 but no excuse. In 77 I saw that first one 4/29/77 and Englishtown 9/3/77 and saw Garcia Band 7/12/77 in Asbury Park NJ and early and late shows at Palladium again in NYC late November I think the 27th of 77. Did manage to see 209 Dead shows with Jerry and about 30 Garcia Band. Up to 73 Wilco and will see many this year.

Unfortunately that was the only one of spring tour. I had just turned 17 but no excuse. In 77 I saw that first one 4/29/77 and Englishtown 9/3/77 and saw Garcia Band 7/12/77 in Asbury Park NJ and early and late shows at Palladium again in NYC late November I think the 27th of 77. Did manage to see 209 Dead shows with Jerry and about 30 Garcia Band. Up to 73 Wilco and will see many this year.

Go on...

:worship

Incidentally, I wonder why they left Esau off of In the Dark.  Great tune and would've really rounded out the album.

Also, I hate to admit this, but I was listening to the Dead XM channel the other night when I got into the car. Sugaree is playing so I'm trying to guess the year. Garcia sounds a bit rough, but guitar is great. 83? Then a piano solo...Bruce? 91?  I'll be damned if it wasn't Furthur!! So what happens now? Do I have to bring 'supplication' to the alter of Pigpen?

:worship

Incidentally, I wonder why they left Esau off of In the Dark.  Great tune and would've really rounded out the album.

I was recently revisiting this kick-ass '83 show from Providence. I love the second set, in particular the Esau, Maybe You Know, Bertha punch out of the gate.

https://archive.org/details/gd1983-04-20.aud.wise.92322.sbeok.flac16/gd1983-04-20d1t01.flac

Other than it being a rarity, I can't find anything appealing about Esau. Kind of a clunker.

It was played fairly regularly from '83 to around late '87/early '88?, to my memory. I like the imagery in it and the odd tempo/drums in it, too. Cool slide work in it, as well.

It was played fairly regularly from '83 to around late '87/early '88?, to my memory. I like the imagery in it and the odd tempo/drums in it, too. Cool slide work in it, as well.

Got it. I pretty much hate the Dead in the 80's, so that partially explains it. If you dig 80's Dead, you probably like it.

I saw Esau only a half dozen times at the most. Pretty sure the last Esau was Shoreline 10/87 but I'll look it up! 

I consider Esau to be a much under-appreciated song, for the reasons you mention. Although it never really "went somewhere" I consider it to be one of the more interesting first set Weir songs from the period. Typical Weir - very strong on rhythm, a bit short on melody, no really catchy chorus, but still very uniquely his vision. The story (as I see it) - Vietnam, where one brother goes to war and the other 'minds the store' at home, may not resonate with anyone much if they're under the age of about 65 but  certainly it's a common thread in our history. 

I saw Esau only a half dozen times at the most. Pretty sure the last Esau was Shoreline 10/87 but I'll look it up! 

I consider Esau to be a much under-appreciated song, for the reasons you mention. Although it never really "went somewhere" I consider it to be one of the more interesting first set Weir songs from the period. Typical Weir - very strong on rhythm, a bit short on melody, no really catchy chorus, but still very uniquely his vision. The story (as I see it) - Vietnam, where one brother goes to war and the other 'minds the store' at home, may not resonate with anyone much if they're under the age of about 65 but  certainly it's a common thread in our history. 

I always had the Viet Nam thing connected to it, as well.