• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of a single Brent written tune I wanted to hear live.  Ever.

Not surprising if you neither saw live nor listened to any GD from '81-'88 (almost his entire career with band, save 3-4 yrs). He was an instilled part of the band when I started seeing shows in '81, so I guess that's a big factor in our differences regarding Brent and his playing/vocals/contributions to the band's legacy, etc.

I really like a Brent or Phil tune in the first set. Vince's tunes would've been better served there as well. Blow Away was great. I hated just a Little Light at first, but that little space jam in the middle when played live was good. I also liked Gentlemen Start Your Engines, which I think they only played once or twice.

Not surprising if you neither saw live nor listened to any GD from '81-'88 (almost his entire career with band, save 3-4 yrs). He was an instilled part of the band when I started seeing shows in '81, so I guess that's a big factor in our differences regarding Brent and his playing/vocals/contributions to the band's legacy, etc.

I saw a lot of shows from '79-81, and from '87 until his death.  I'm not talking about his playing or his vocals (although both really bummed me out when he first joined, but I grew to appreciate over time).  I'm strictly speaking about his songs (and not his covers). To this day, there's not a one I want to hear.

I like Tons of Steel (wife says it's "bad") and We Can Run.

Don't care for Just a  Little Light, though. The carnival-esque keys are a turn off, and used to really like "

Take You Home," but it's hard to listen to, now.

Love Easy to Love You, Far From Me, Maybe You Know, Blow Away, Pocky Way, Louie, Louie.

As much as I appreciate a lot of his lead vocal tunes, he really shined on backing vocals and co-vocals (Gimme Some Lovin', Mr. Fantasy, Keep On Growing, Let the Good Times Roll, etc.)

My thoughts almost exactly (except I don't like We Can Run).  Tons Of Steel is my fave Brent song and his earlier songs were mostly better than his later songs.  He was a nice change of pace on the occasional lead vocal but his backing vocals were one of his major contributions to the sound.  Him and Phil on Gimme Some Lovin'  and him and Jerry on Dear Mr. Fantasy makes a cool vocal blend to my ears.  What were his best backing vocal Bobby tunes?  Cassidy?  Gotta think about that one a little bit.  I mean if you can make Phil sound good, you are doing your job as a backing vocalist!

What were his best backing vocal Bobby tunes?  Cassidy?  Gotta think about that one a little bit.  I mean if you can make Phil sound good, you are doing your job as a backing vocalist!

Good question, as I generally think of Jerry/Brent harmonizing/backing vocals.

Definitely Cassidy, then I'm thinking of Brent being in Bobby and the Midnites for a year or two and the tunes on that first Bob and Midnites album (which is a good listen every few years) and tunes like Too Many Losers, Haze, Book of Rules,....

Stranger, Throwing Stones, Sugar Mags, Women are Smarter, Good Lovin' all come to mind as really solid vocal  input from Brent....

Brent's unreleased solo album is on YouTube. Any of those tunes could've been on Go to Heaven. Also found a Bob Weir Band show on there from '78. I'd forgotten about that tour. Lots of blues tunes. Precursor to the first Ratdog. I'm too lazy to put the links here.

A while back I read an interview with Betty Cantor-Jackson where she talks about making that album. I think it's posted in the previous thread. I had not heard about that before - and I didn't know they were a couple. 

That story I know. There is a long interview with her in one of those Tapers books where she talks about that. She records shows for Chris Robinson now. 

Interesting...the Brent Mydland wiki page does not reference that he was married or anything personal like that.

Re Blow Away - I just remember him singnig during the "rap" portion, "you fxxxxxx bxxxch..." etc etc etc, and then pleading with crowd raise your fist in the air. Obviously he was working some demons out, but I just didn't feel motivated to raise my fist in the air...

Early 80s brent was his best in my opinion...1979 Spring tour really underrated and the Spring / Summer 1980 stuff is really amazing...

Starting in 1985 and 86 he had a particular tone that sounded more "poppy" and less jam band...Teh better tone returned in 87/88/89/90...But during 87-90 he started mimicing the Jerry solos a lot which always bugged me. Let Jerry play Jerry. You play rhythm or something else. At that point he didn't need your help.

CHECK out the Far From Me on 06 September 1980...That was really well done and Jerry sizzled during the finale portion....

https://archive.org/details/gd1980-09-06.nak300.friend.andrewf.101685.flac16

That story I know. There is a long interview with her in one of those Tapers books where she talks about that. She records shows for Chris Robinson now. 

Yeah, I have the last live release they put out with her. Good stuff.

Interesting...the Brent Mydland wiki page does not reference that he was married or anything personal like that.

Re Blow Away - I just remember him singnig during the "rap" portion, "you fxxxxxx bxxxch..." etc etc etc, and then pleading with crowd raise your fist in the air. Obviously he was working some demons out, but I just didn't feel motivated to raise my fist in the air...

I've never heard him do that in "Blow Away". He did sing, once,  "this song's my last fucking song for you, bitch!" in "Far From Me" at The World Music Theater at his second-to-last show.....

Early 80s brent was his best in my opinion...1979 Spring tour really underrated and the Spring / Summer 1980 stuff is really amazing...

CHECK out the Far From Me on 06 September 1980...That was really well done and Jerry sizzled during the finale portion....

https://archive.org/details/gd1980-09-06.nak300.friend.andrewf.101685.flac16

I like Brent's sound in 1979 and 1980 alot, too.  I'm partial to the Fall tour of 1979, they were on a hot streak at the end of October and first part of November for sure.  New Haven, Cape Cod, Nassau and then Philly were all very strong.  I've not checked out the Spring very much, are there particular shows that you think are strong from that tour?

As for 1980, that Lewiston show is probably the best of the year and maybe even a candidate for the best of the entire 80s.  I also really like the Go To Nassau album from May 1980, the sound is fantastic.  The first set tunes seem stronger than the second set songs, though.  I love that High Time. http://deaddisc.com/disc/Go_To_Nassau.htm

There were only a handful of shows in the spring of '79  with Brent the new addition. The only thing that stands out to my memory is a rippin' "Passenger"  from Lafayette College, PA. The new addition really shines in the fall, though, where the band obviously hits a hot spot.

I can't think of a single Brent written tune I wanted to hear live.  Ever.

^this; neither on record, ever; the skip option is always ready when his songs approach

Sorry guys...nothing against the person, which seemed a nice guy. But...

^this; neither on record, ever; the skip option is always ready when his songs approach

Sorry guys...nothing against the person, which seemed a nice guy. But...

This makes me wonder, do you guys ever skip songs while listening to shows? Are there Dead songs you just never need to hear again? I tend to skip Big River here and there. Need to think of a few more.

This makes me wonder, do you guys ever skip songs while listening to shows? Are there Dead songs you just never need to hear again? I tend to skip Big River here and there. Need to think of a few more.

I skip pretty much every Drums>Space. There, I said it. Another reason I prefer 70s to 80s.

Skip drums and space. Sunrise. Many Brent tunes. Various Bob tunes: Easy Answers, Rooster, Lazy Lightning, Let it Grow (though not the prelude/intro, or jam after the song if possible) come to mind. Looks Like Rain, unless it's raining. 

Oh man, I love the the back end of LLR! Last summer I played a different one from 80s about every night. Garcia's guitar work is fantastic on a lot of them and I dig the rising action of the tune and the Weir free-form vocal wiggle room. I also liked the echo effect Healy touched a bunch of them with....