I noticed this in the comments:

The story of Bear's incarceration is a murky one. 
The accepted history in all the Dead books is that he went into prison in July 1970 and served two years.
Bear himself says (in the Taping Compendium interview): "The courts restricted my travel in February 1970 after the bust in New Orleans. They canceled my appeal bond in July 1970 and sent me to do my time. It crippled my appeal because I could not supervise the lawyers while I was locked up. I didn't get out until July 1972." 
In the Conversations with the Dead book he also says "they carted me off to the joint" in mid-1970: "In February they stopped me going on the road because we got busted in New Orleans. I had already been convicted and been sentenced and was awaiting my appeals. The Dead got busted and I was busted with them, and that sent a bad message to the judge, and he revoked my permission to travel." (p324)
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...I've said this before...but 17 September 1982 comprises one of the best second sets ever...including a very fast paced Touch > Women...the Women includes an obviously "coked" out Weir screamfest...

Yeah - this show, the Touch is much better than the West L.A.  -- great way to open up the 2nd set.  The Throwing Stones was a wreck - god love 'em.

Great show, thus far.

I think I probably knew about this - but still it's a trip to read about it:

GD/Cream March 11th 1968, Sacramento, California

I was into Cream moreso than The Dead around the time I just got out of HS (June 1981), and I've always considered them the first Rock "jamband". This was a nice read - nice find, Aman. Maybe a couple of factual errors - the July '68 Rancho Olompali tapes have to be dated wrong. The Dead were long gone from that idyllic spot by late Summer '66, but the blogger might be thinking of the Airplane House tape from Oct. '68. That's a seriously strange jam, but worthy of a listen (I have the cassette, it might be on Archive).

Hey fanatics: which shows or releases (Dick's Picks, etc.) do you consider absolute must-haves? Like, "If it disappeared from my hard drive and I couldn't ever find a replacement, I'd be devastated."

The reason I ask is because I recently had to completely replace my operating system, and am now tasked with going in and manually adding all my stuff back into iTunes. I just can't sort through all of it, especially since I have so many artists. I don't have the time to pull everything I can fit that's archived on my external hard drive.

With the Dead, I put in a few essential studio albums, Europe '72, and a few random shows like 3/1/69, 7/18/72, etc. Problem with adding back shows is that some require labeling songs, and so on, and it's just a bitch.

Whaddya think?

This is a good resource for quickly seeing what has been released.  Some of it is out of print, though.  http://deaddisc.com/

I know you have clear opinions on what you like and don't, so you can probably eliminate yourself the stuff you are not interested in.  Its such a personal preference, so a hard question to answer

For me, the official releases I listen to over and over include:

Dick's Picks, Vol. 4, 1996 : Fillmore East, 2/13-14/70

Dick's Picks, Vol. 12, 1998 : Providence & Boston, 6/26 & 28/74

Dick's Picks, Vol. 18, 2000 : Madison & Cedar Falls, 2/3 & 5/78

Dick's Picks, Vol. 28, 2003 : Lincoln & Salt Lake City, 2/26 & 28/73

Road Trips: Vol 1, Number 1: Fall 1979

Road Trips: Vol 2, Number 3: June 1974: Wall of Sound

Dave's Picks Volume 7: Horton Field House, Illinois State, Normal, 4/24/78

Dave's Picks Volume 11: Convention Hall, Wichita, KS 11/17/72

Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings

Fillmore West 1969: Compilation

Go To Nassau, 1980

Steppin' Out, England 1972

Reckoning, acoustic 1980

Sunshine Daydream the Springfield Creamery Benefit Veneta, Oregon August 27, 1972.

This is a good resource for quickly seeing what has been released.  Some of it is out of print, though.  http://deaddisc.com/

I know you have clear opinions on what you like and don't, so you can probably eliminate yourself the stuff you are not interested in.  Its such a personal preference, so a hard question to answer

For me, the official releases I listen to over and over include:

Dick's Picks, Vol. 4, 1996 : Fillmore East, 2/13-14/70

Dick's Picks, Vol. 12, 1998 : Providence & Boston, 6/26 & 28/74

Dick's Picks, Vol. 18, 2000 : Madison & Cedar Falls, 2/3 & 5/78

Dick's Picks, Vol. 28, 2003 : Lincoln & Salt Lake City, 2/26 & 28/73

Road Trips: Vol 1, Number 1: Fall 1979

Dave's Picks Volume 7: Horton Field House, Illinois State, Normal, 4/24/78

Dave's Picks Volume 11: Convention Hall, Wichita, KS 11/17/72

Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings

Fillmore West 1969: Compilation

Go To Nassau, 1980

Steppin' Out, England 1972

Reckoning, acoustic 1980

Sunshine Daydream the Springfield Creamery Benefit Veneta, Oregon August 27, 1972.

That's a solid list, I wouldn't disagree with anything on there.  Without looking at the discography, a few off the top of my head additions from my collection:

Winterland '73 box set (I'm partial to '73), a great companion to the Winterland '77 box

Dick's Picks, 1973 Boston Music Hall

GD Movie box set

May '77 box set

Dick's Pick from Columbus OH, Halloween 1971.  I think its DP #2. A single disc, awesome show

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fillmore East April '71 4 disc set

The Nassau Coliseum, Branford Marsalis spring 1990 show 

That Ladies and Gentlemen release is still one of my favorite official releases. It's hard to believe it has been almost 16 years since it was released.  That Dick's Picks is the first one I ever got. 

Thanks, Shug & worldrecordplayer. Good suggestions.

I have about 400 folders of Dead files, and I guess only about 50 or so are official releases. Overwhelming amount of stuff. Listening to 5/7/70 now, another show I'd never heard, as it's overshadowed by the next night...another favorite.

I had a huge backlog of downloaded live Dead stuff on my computer that needed to be labeled by hand, each track.  It was a big job and I forced myself to stop downloading stuff until I got all the stuff I already had labeled.  Whew!  Just got it done a few weeks ago and that was a load off.  I feel for ya.  Now I get to download more shows, yeah!  At least all the songs are labeled if you by the official releases that are still in print.

I had a huge backlog of downloaded live Dead stuff on my computer that needed to be labeled by hand, each track. It was a big job and I forced myself to stop downloading stuff until I got all the stuff I already had labeled. Whew! Just got it done a few weeks ago and that was a load off. I feel for ya. Now I get to download more shows, yeah! At least all the songs are labeled if you by the official releases that are still in print.

Even some of the official releases are mislabeled in iTunes, or not labeled at all. It's a bit of a cluster.

I appreciate you guys suggesting some of the Dick's and One from the Vault. I'd skipped right over those, with the exception of Harpur College.

I've got about 40 shows in FLAC and a few in MP3 that I have yet to play. A bunch of them are from '69, which can get redundant, but I can't resist. That era is always interesting because sometimes Jerry actually still has some funny banter. Pig too. And the versions of Hard to Handle and Dark Star are great.

I wasn't aware that 6/18/74 had been released as part of this compilation. Seems kind of strange they chopped the show up and only released one disc. Not sure I've listened to the other show on this comp, 6/16, but 6/18 makes a lot of best of lists, probably worth having the whole thing.

Just announced, the July 1978 Betty Boards official box set release:

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/july-1978-complete-recordings?intcmp=home/carousel1

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/july-1978-complete-recordings?intcmp=home/carousel1

I had those Red Rocks shows on cassette years ago, I always thought they were great, haven't heard the others in this box.

I had those Red Rocks shows on cassette years ago, I always thought they were great, haven't heard the others in this box.

7/8/78 is strong, especially the Estimated>Other One>Eyes.  The outro jam on Estimated goes on for awhile into some interesting sounds.  I've also not heard the other shows besides the Red Rocks nights.  Some of those second sets are short.  I think 1978 is the peak year for Estimated Prophet, Black Peter and Music Never Stopped and Good Lovin' without Pigpen and probably US Blues for folks that don't dislike that tune.

Rolling Stone is reporting that they will also sell 7-8-78 by itself.  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-grateful-deads-sublime-wharf-rat-from-first-ever-red-rocks-run-20160315

I wonder if they had to pay - or someone actually gave them the reels. 

At about the 5 minute mark of Lemieux's Seaside Chat, he goes into an explanation of getting the original master reels back in the vault.  They did a deal with the guy who had ownership of them, who was not Betty. 

On that video page - down below, on the right - is my mystery girl from the GD movie. 

Which girl/video are you talking about?

That 78 set does look nice -- probably will pass, though.

U.S. Blues from the GD movie - the girl in the orange/brown plaid top - has always intrigued me. She's in the thumbnail for the video. She pops up around 2:11 in the video.

I think I've posted this before, but this particular '78 U.S. Blues from Duke is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS (the whole show is stupendous, really). If you haven't watched, it's a must see clip for many reasons I'll allow those who haven't seen it to discover on their own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdjlOPBBGXE

The band expended more energy in that one song than I saw in a whole show in the mid-80s.

Made it up to 1987 so far in the 30 Trips set. Everyone knows the 9/18/87 MSG show, for good reason. Maybe the best show of the Brent era, or at least the second set? Even the Watchtower is exciting, and the Heaven's Door is engaging. Of course the Dew. Gotta be up there with the Warlocks and Branford shows. For someone who poo-poos Brent, this stuff is pretty good. 

On that video page - down below, on the right - is my mystery girl from the GD movie. 

I always wonder what's up with those people.  You'd think they'd come out of the woodwork online or something.  I assume some are Dead.

It is sad Betty is not getting any money...even for using her name she should be paid something.