• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it would be up to Rhino to pay Betty, although I'd imagine that if any of the band members knew how to use a telephone they could make it happen. I think an argument could be made that Betty is owed something, although she was paid for her services when an employee of the band, and they bought the tapes from someone else. So I guess you'd be paying her for the time she kept the tapes in storage, and for using her name to market the release?

That's right. From what I have read - a person may own the tape, but they don't really own the music on the tape.

I think what she says regarding that deal was that she was owed money from the work she did at the Radio City shows and was never paid. 

Made it up to 1987 so far in the 30 Trips set. Everyone knows the 9/18/87 MSG show, for good reason. Maybe the best show of the Brent era, or at least the second set? Even the Watchtower is exciting, and the Heaven's Door is engaging. Of course the Dew. Gotta be up there with the Warlocks and Branford shows. For someone who poo-poos Brent, this stuff is pretty good. 

Backing up a few years, is the 5/16/81 Cornell  from the 30 Trips set SBD all the way through?  On archive it goes to AUD on Stella Blue to the end of the show.  I'd like to know if they restored the full show as a SBD recording.

Backing up a few years, is the 5/16/81 Cornell  from the 30 Trips set SBD all the way through?  On archive it goes to AUD on Stella Blue to the end of the show.  I'd like to know if they restored the full show as a SBD recording.

I know the sound was shit on one of those early 80's shows. Think that was the one. I'll confirm when I get a sec.

How did Mumford and Sons sneak into that party? Oh well, looks like some interesting choices. Glad it's not dominated by Avett Brothers type artists.

I believe that M&S spent some time at Aaron Dessner's studio when writing songs for their last album. I've not been a fan of M&S, so I don't know anything about that album, but Aaron has produced some great albums, including Sharon Van Etten's Tramp, and Local Native's Hummingbird.

I always love checking out GD cover projects and will that one, too (it's loaded with tunes!), but it looks like, for the most part, hipster bands....

Looks like they devote a significant amount of it to the weird, experimental stuff, which is cool by me, and rare on a tribute album. Not just gonna be a bunch of straightforward covers, though there are probably a few of those too.

Looks like they devote a significant amount of it to the weird, experimental stuff, which is cool by me, and rare on a tribute album. Not just gonna be a bunch of straightforward covers, though there are probably a few of those too.

Yeah, I don't know or have never listened to a bunch of the bands on there but interested in their take on the tunes. Definitely some wild choices (2  different Dark Stars, a What's Become of the Baby, Cream Puff War, King Solomon's, etc.). Betting that Mumford & Sons "Friend" is the straightest thing on it....

Looking most forward to the below:

Franklin’s Tower Orchestra Baobab

Clementine Jam Orchestra Baobab

King Solomon’s Marbles Vijay Iyer

The whole thing should be a fun listen.

https://youtu.be/idUIhfmOkfI Nice version of Mission In The Rain to open this late show/second set of JGB in 1980.  Ozzie Ahlers keyboard sound kind reminds me of the sound Brent was getting in 1979 and a little bit in 1980 and 1981.  I don't like Ozzie's sound as much as I like Brent's (electric clavinet?).  

Brent was using it still in 1981 like on this funky version of Feel Like A Stranger from the 5-16-81 Cornell show we've been talking about.  https://archive.org/details/gd1981-05-16.sbd.miller.30647.sbeok.flac16

I have not listened to Hundred Year Hall for a long time. The Other One on disc 2 is just exactly perfect.

When you think of Europe '72 Tour, you can think of many amazing musical things, but for me the thing that really jumps out at me is Dark Star and The Other One. EVERY night, one or the other, every one just an incredible example of primo Dead. There's only one show where they do both, 5/7. Dark Star > Other One > Sing Me Back Home is solid 60+ minutes of Grateful Dead.

The Other One from 4/26 (HTH) is scary good.

I have the Hundred Year Hall cd, but it is all ding up and doesn't play that well, so I have not listened to that release in a long while.

I listen to the complete show via the box set - but I think I read that the Hundred Year Hall release is a different and perhaps better mix

I have the Hundred Year Hall cd, but it is all ding up and doesn't play that well, so I have not listened to that release in a long while.

I listen to the complete show via the box set - but I think I read that the Hundred Year Hall release is a different and perhaps better mix

Good point, same experience for me.  I got Hundred Year Hall when it was first released and it instantly snapped my head around and went straight to the top of my charts of favorite GD releases.  Pretty much every track is a "best version" or close to it for me.  So when they released individual shows from the Europe '72 box, this is the one full show i bought. And for some reason, I don't find it as compelling a listen as HYH.  It must be the mix.  But whatever the reason, I go to HYH more often than I go to the full show release.   

I listened to (most of) the P&F feed last night. The Q, proving again, why they're the best P&Fs compilation. The St. Stephen>Midnite Hour was the corker, too. The Days encore was nice, and I'll likely get shot for this, but I was never a big "Days" fan. I know, I know probably Garcia's most poignant (lyrically, at least) tune in the back 9 of his career, but it just drags the fuck on for me....

The Days encore was nice, and I'll likely get shot for this, but I was never a big "Days" fan. I know, I know probably Garcia's most poignant (lyrically, at least) tune in the back 9 of his career, but it just drags the fuck on for me....

You're not alone on this, trust me...

I listened to (most of) the P&F feed last night. The Q, proving again, why they're the best P&Fs compilation. The St. Stephen>Midnite Hour was the corker, too. The Days encore was nice, and I'll likely get shot for this, but I was never a big "Days" fan. I know, I know probably Garcia's most poignant (lyrically, at least) tune in the back 9 of his career, but it just drags the fuck on for me....

I saw Ratdog - with Kimock - play a great version of Days Between a few years back.  Since Ratdog likes to slow things down -  the tune is a nice fit for them. Weir sang the hell of it.

Who sang lead on last night's version at the Q show - please don't say Phil, please don't say Phil, please don't say Phil...

I saw Ratdog - with Kimock - play a great version of Days Between a few years back.  Since Ratdog likes to slow things down -  the tune is a nice fit for them. Weir sang the hell of it.

Who sang lead on last night's version at the Q show - please don't say Phil, please don't say Phil, please don't say Phil...

Warren sang last night.

I loved Kimock in Ratdog. Better then Kimock in Kimock-lead bands. There's a FANTASTIC "Money for Gasoline" from Red Rocks a few years ago that really stands out. The whole show is solid, particular the aforementioned, the Sugar Magnolia, and the encore Terp. suite ... Very smoooooth and sweeeet 1/2-Step, too.

https://archive.org/details/ratdog2007-07-24.dpa-4channelmix.flac16

ed. Oh yeah, a  smokin' 17 min. Shakedown opener. Keller Williams opened and I remember not really digging his stuff (he sits in on a couple tunes, too). My wife loves him but I've never been able to get into him. Too gimmicky or something.