I have the Hundred Year Hall cd, but it is all ding up and doesn't play that well, so I have not listened to that release in a long while.

I listen to the complete show via the box set - but I think I read that the Hundred Year Hall release is a different and perhaps better mix

I think the mixes for Hundred Year Hall, Rockin' The Rhein and Steppin' Out are different from those on the Europe 72 box, with the mixes on the box not being as detailed and meticulous as the earlier releases mentioned.  Its one of the reasons I think that Steppin' Out compilation is really good, it sounds fantastic and that allows me to really hear the performances clearly.  That and the incredible Dark Star>Sugar Magnolia>Caution!

"Let’s not forget that big chunks of this tour previously appeared on the archival releases Hundred Year Hall (released in 1995), Steppin’ Out (a compilation of songs recorded on this tour in England, released in 2002), and Rockin’ the Rhein (released in 2004). Also, the box set The Golden Road (released in 2001) and the later individual re-issue of Europe ’72 contained bonus tracks from the tour. Astute listeners will notice that the mixes on these earlier releases is much more refined in terms of dynamics, equalization, reverb, and other sonic niceties than it is on the 2011 box. Keith Godchaux in particular receives more attention to detail on the older mixes. On the 2011 mixes, there is even a distortion issue with the vocals on every show up to the first Paris show (5/3/72) that then pretty much clears up for the rest of the box. Obviously the mixing budget for Europe ’72: The Complete Recordings did not allow for the “extravagance” of the earlier, higher-fidelity mixes."

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-europe-72-overdubs-guest-post.html

Yep, nothing like 72 and its Dark Stars and Other Ones, I agree.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warren sang last night.

I loved Kimock in Ratdog. Better then Kimock in Kimock-lead bands. There's a FANTASTIC "Money for Gasoline" from Red Rocks a few years ago that really stands out. The whole show is solid, particular the aforementioned, the Sugar Magnolia, and the encore Terp. suite ...

https://archive.org/details/ratdog2007-07-24.dpa-4channelmix.flac16

Not sure if ever listened to this Red Rocks show -- will check to see if I have it when I get home. Thx - looks great. Never saw so many reviews on the Archive for a Ratdog show, before.

Did you make it to this Red Rock show, Lammy?

Speaking of the Archive -- still can't get use to the new look/format - still like the older version better -- up to last week or so there was a TAB that took one back to the old format, but it's gone go for good, now.

I listened to (most of) the P&F feed last night. The Q, proving again, why they're the best P&Fs compilation. The St. Stephen>Midnite Hour was the corker, too. The Days encore was nice, and I'll likely get shot for this, but I was never a big "Days" fan. I know, I know probably Garcia's most poignant (lyrically, at least) tune in the back 9 of his career, but it just drags the fuck on for me....

Just my opinion, but Lazy River Road is my favorite of that last batch of Hunter/Garcia tunes.

Yessir. I remember feeling a little bummed for Karan as he was out ill battling cancer, and I think he's a solid lead guy, but Kimmock really shines in the sideman role.....

Just my opinion, but Lazy River Road is my favorite of that last batch of Hunter/Garcia tunes.

Great tune and great lyrics, but I have to back up SOTM as my favorite of the last batch, with "Liberty" as a close second. They (Hunter/Garcia), really still had "it" up until the end.....

I'd consider Jerry's last batch to be Days, Liberty, Lazy River, and So Many Roads. Love them all, but Days is the only one that is unique or innovative, pushing for something new. Hypnotic, dramatic, dynamic, mysterious, but if you weren't captivated by it, I'm sure it would sound like a drag, like many other Dead tunes. But if you were, it was transcendent. 

Shit I forgot about So Many Roads. What a great song. That thing became a beast by '95, especially the tail end of the song. Wow.

"Stella Blue" showed some HUGE power in '95, too (which I think were probably some of my favorite versions of the tune, oddly enough).

I like almost all of those "last batch" tunes, with Days being at the top of my list.  Never really took a shine to Liberty. A little too cheesy for my tastes.  "Ooh ooh, Liberty..." I saw a couple of versions of Days that were spine tingling.  Great imagery in the lyrics, and Jerry could belt out those lyrics to kick my in the gut. 

I loved Kimock in Ratdog. Better then Kimock in Kimock-lead bands. There's a FANTASTIC "Money for Gasoline" from Red Rocks a few years ago that really stands out. The whole show is solid, particular the aforementioned, the Sugar Magnolia, and the encore Terp. suite ... Very smoooooth and sweeeet 1/2-Step, too.

https://archive.org/details/ratdog2007-07-24.dpa-4channelmix.flac16

Holy cow, the comments section for that Ratdog show is hilarious. A few highlights:

"It was a groovy liquid fungus filled event."

"keller is a gimmick, and his schtick is funny once but gets way old after that. you don't go up on stage with bob weir and pretend to play a trumpet like a goddamn 8 year old does while taking a crap."

"The music was amazing and nothing compares to how the music lifted my mood after being busted by red rocks security." :lol

"All I can say to describe this unbelievable night is that right after this show I literally almost quit my job, jumped in the car and followed Ratdog the rest of their tour."

Love that "literally almost"...What was that old expression? "Almost doesn't count except in horseshoes and hand grenades." :rotfl

^ Funny stuff. I didn't read the comments but appreciate the person who also sees Keller as a gimmick.....

I know he's talented and all, but it does seem shtick-y to me....

I listened to (most of) the P&F feed last night. The Q, proving again, why they're the best P&Fs compilation. The St. Stephen>Midnite Hour was the corker, too. The Days encore was nice, and I'll likely get shot for this, but I was never a big "Days" fan. I know, I know probably Garcia's most poignant (lyrically, at least) tune in the back 9 of his career, but it just drags the fuck on for me....

Had that tune come out in 1988, it' might've been a bit faster and more engaging.  I'm not a huge fan either...but, like with all Dead, still like it  :stunned

Not sure if ever listened to this Red Rocks show -- will check to see if I have it when I get home. Thx - looks great. Never saw so many reviews on the Archive for a Ratdog show, before.

Speaking of the Archive -- still can't get use to the new look/format - still like the older version better -- up to last week or so there was a TAB that took one back to the old format, but it's gone go for good, now.

Tell me about it.  Ugh!

This show is renewing my ever waining interest in Ratdog.  This is GREAT!  I do miss Karan and I think he was the best player the core four in all their iterations played with.  Not too flashy, not too Jerry, but solid and great, straight ahead soloing.  I like Kimock, but he takes forever to get a solo going and is essentially absent during the rest of songs.

Getting back into Europe '72 shows again, after taking a detour through some '78 (revisiting Red Rocks after seeing all the hype about the box set), '76 (a show I'd never heard, 6/12 Boston, kind of meh so far except for Mission), and an '80 Warfield show (man, the acoustic sets were so good, but the electric sets haven't made much impression from what I've played so far).

Europe '72 shows are just so good. I'm listening to Radio Luxembourg from 5/16 at home, which will be followed by 5/18, a show I have yet to hear, and then the London 4/8 in the car. I'm not a big Dark Star guy unless it's short (like in '69) or goes some more upbeat places...the one from 4/8 is long, but goes some very upbeat places. Great stuff.

Getting back into Europe '72 shows again, after taking a detour through some '78 (revisiting Red Rocks after seeing all the hype about the box set), '76 (a show I'd never heard, 6/12 Boston, kind of meh so far except for Mission), and an '80 Warfield show (man, the acoustic sets were so good, but the shows haven't made much impression from what I've played so far. Europe '72 shows are just so good. I'm listening to Radio Luxembourg from 5/16 at home, which will be followed by 5/18, a show I have yet to hear, and then the London 4/8 in the car. I'm not a big Dark Star guy unless it's short (like in '69) or goes some more upbeat places...the one from 4/8 is long, but goes some very upbeat places. Great stuff.

Not a fan of Days or Dark Star!  We're losing you Heartbreak!   :shifty

Incidentally, that 'short' studio single of DS on the Long Strange Trip comp is so great.  Would've definitely fit on Anthem.

Not a fan of Days or Dark Star!  We're losing you Heartbreak!   :shifty

Incidentally, that 'short' studio single of DS on the Long Strange Trip comp is so great.  Would've definitely fit on Anthem.

:D

Well, I like some of the early Dark Stars that are about 10-12 minutes long, but I like 'em even shorter, too. The ones that go on for 30-40 minutes in a long, formless jam tend to lose me.

As much of a Deadhead as I am, I'm a song guy more than a jamband guy. I love those '71-'73 shows that have like 30 songs, from Loser to Playin' to Mr. Charlie. When I see a setlist for a show and it's mainly just Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven>Feedback, I think, "Oh, another one of those."

Getting back into Europe '72 shows again, after taking a detour through some '78 (revisiting Red Rocks after seeing all the hype about the box set), '76 (a show I'd never heard, 6/12 Boston, kind of meh so far except for Mission), and an '80 Warfield show (man, the acoustic sets were so good, but the electric sets haven't made much impression from what I've played so far).

Europe '72 shows are just so good. I'm listening to Radio Luxembourg from 5/16 at home, which will be followed by 5/18, a show I have yet to hear, and then the London 4/8 in the car. I'm not a big Dark Star guy unless it's short (like in '69) or goes some more upbeat places...the one from 4/8 is long, but goes some very upbeat places. Great stuff.

5/18 has the very first Star > Dew ever done (of about a dozen). I've said this before, but Star > Dew is my favorite GD there is.

' :D

Well, I like some of the early Dark Stars that are about 10-12 minutes long, but I like 'em even shorter, too. The ones that go on for 30-40 minutes in a long, formless jam tend to lose me.

As much of a Deadhead as I am, I'm a song guy more than a jamband guy. I love those '71-'73 shows that have like 30 songs, from Loser to Playin' to Mr. Charlie. When I see a setlist for a show and it's mainly just Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven>Feedback, I think, "Oh, another one of those."

I hear you.  It's incredible how the band changed over the early years.  It was always some combo of Stephen etc. and then it became so focused on 'songs' like you said.  Yeah, the 72 shows are great and always interesting setlists.

Had some home alone time today, took the opportunity to play D3 of Dave's Picks 17, Fresno, July 1974, the first official Wall of Sound show, at concert level volume. I've listened to this show many times over the years, but I never realized how tight and rockin the US Blues is. The entire show is worthy no doubt, today for the first time US Blues jumps out and slapped me in my face and stuck me in the gut. I can't help but repeat myself about these GD HDCD releases, they sound amazing.

Yes.

Caught this clip over the weekend. Check it out, all, if you haven't seen it. Garcia tells funny story about early days  Fillmore mishap....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQ8f5oOcY4

Same here...except that I dislike the 'song' part of Playin', even without Donna caterwaulin'  :D. Fortunately, the never absent  jam redeems it for me.

Been dipping my toe back into '69 this week, as I have so many shows I've downloaded that I haven't gotten to yet. Interesting SBD available from 5/7 that has an instrumental (!) on it...sounds familiar, like the way they would sometimes do Finicula Finicula or a theme from something else, but longer. Anyone hear this show or know what that tune is? 

https://archive.org/details/gd69-05-07.sbd.cotsman.6028.sbeok.shnf