One week until spring training games.

Get your predictions in now.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot sports opinion here...either the Cubs or the Mets (or maybe both) will flame out spectacularly this summer.

I just hope some of the prospects my Braves have been stockpiling get significant playing time. We're not playing for this season.

Here is the predictions take these to Vegas and win money

American League

West: Houston

Central: White Sox

East: Toronto

National League

West: Dodgers

Central: Cubs (btw look for 102 wins by the Cubbies this year)

East: Washington

Playoffs

AL Wildcard

Boston over Detroit

NL Wildcard

Giants over Cards

ALDS

Boston over Houston

White Sox over Toronto

NLDS

Dodgers over Giants

Cubs over Washington

ALCS

White Sox over Boston

NLCS

Cubs over Dodgers

World Series

Cubs over White Sox in 6 (and the city of Chicago will burn to the ground)

Here is the predictions take these to Vegas and win money

American League

West: Houston

Central: White Sox

East: Toronto

National League

West: Dodgers

Central: Cubs (btw look for 102 wins by the Cubbies this year)

East: Washington

Playoffs

AL Wildcard

Boston over Detroit

NL Wildcard

Giants over Cards

ALDS

Boston over Houston

White Sox over Toronto

NLDS

Dodgers over Giants

Cubs over Washington

ALCS

White Sox over Boston

NLCS

Cubs over Dodgers

World Series

Cubs over White Sox in 6 (and the city of Chicago will burn to the ground)

Once again you underestimate the Rangers. The team that won the west (winning 88 games) will have Cole Hamels for an entire season; a healthy Derek Holland; Yu Darvish in May; a healthy Colby Lewis; a healthy Adrian Beltre; a mature Odor; Ian Desmond's bat in the lineup (don't tell me he's a crappy fielder...ever seen Schwarber?); a vastly improved bullpen. I seriously doubt Choo will get off to such a horrible start to the season again.

Once again you underestimate the Rangers. The team that won the west (winning 88 games) will have Cole Hamels for an entire season; a healthy Derek Holland; Yu Darvish in May; a healthy Colby Lewis; a healthy Adrian Beltre; a mature Odor; Ian Desmond's bat in the lineup (don't tell me he's a crappy fielder...ever seen Schwarber?); a vastly improved bullpen. I seriously doubt Choo will get off to such a horrible start to the season again.

I frankly don't care about the Rangers.  I don't know that much about the Rangers.  I just looked at the division and I know Houston is a young team with a lot of upside.  Also in my "research" I averaged 82-83 wins by the Texans and 88-91 wins by Houston. But I guess it wouldn't suprise me if the Rangers did well.  I have already put in too much thought on the Rangers, so I probably won't think about them until August.  

Hot sports opinion here...either the Cubs or the Mets (or maybe both) will flame out spectacularly this summer.

Well that is an opinion.  Probably wrong (on the Cubs side anyways).  They have a young extremely talented lineup and a dominate rotation.  Their bullpen is also improved.  Epstein did a good job building this team to win and they will win for a long time. 

I've never been a big fan of predictions. Just looking forward to the season to start.

I frankly don't care about the Rangers.  I don't know that much about the Rangers.  I just looked at the division and I know Houston is a young team with a lot of upside.  Also in my "research" I averaged 82-83 wins by the Texans and 88-91 wins by Houston. But I guess it wouldn't suprise me if the Rangers did well.  I have already put in too much thought on the Rangers, so I probably won't think about them until August.

Why do you hate baseball?

As much as I love baseball (longtime White Sox season ticket holder) I'm actually kind of dreading this season.  I don't hold out much hope for the White Sox -- 83 wins would seem to be a successful season on the Southside and the hated Cubs are seemingly loaded.  The Northside hype train is barreling down the track.  What could possibly go wrong?  Right, Cub fans?  What could possibly go wrong? *insert diabolical laughter* 

The Northside hype train is barreling down the track.  What could possibly go wrong?  Right, Cub fans?  What could possibly go wrong? *insert diabolical laughter* 

I think the Cubs are going to fail train is in fuller swing.  I have heard more about how the cubs are fizzle, or fall below expectations, etc. then I have heard World Series talk.  But the World Series talk is actually based upon facts and the fact that the team looks really really good, whereas the Cubs' failure talk is based upon a dislike for the team or some weird superstition or something, not necessarily based on fact. 

It's march 7th, and I'm already tired of the bandwagon Cubs fans. This combined with the general obnoxiousness of Mets fans will make for a long season.

It's march 7th, and I'm already tired of the bandwagon Cubs fans. This combined with the general obnoxiousness of Mets fans will make for a long season.

Exactly what are you seeing as bandwagon Cub fans?  

The fact is, the Cubs have an extremely good team right now (or at least on paper).  If all goes to plan they should win in the neighborhood of 95 to 100 games and go deep in the playoffs if not win the whole things.  The reporting is not jumping on a bandwagon it is reporting on facts as they are currently.

As for fan support, I don't see a lot of bandwagon jumping, but I will not deny that there probably has been some.  In all actuality it is the Cubs haters who are really coming out of the woodwork.  I have heard more from the common fan that the cubs will fizzle or perform below expectations, etc. Sure that is fine and all, you are entitled to your opinion, but don't make it like there is all of this groundswell of support for the Cubs or a huge number of people jumping on the bandwagon.

^^^ I guess one person's "fact" is another person's opinion.  For you to say "the Cubs are an extremely good team right now" is an opinion, not a fact.  "If all goes to plan they should win in the neighborhood of 95 to 100 games . . " is not a fact.  It's a prediction/opinion.  The Cubs look great on paper.  But they have to, you know, play the games. And if the past is prologue, well you how the season will likely end.  Cub fans, more than any other fan base should lay low, relax and temper their expectations.   They are set up for a nice 4-5 year stretch.  But stuff happens.

^^^ I guess one person's "fact" is another person's opinion.  For you to say "the Cubs are an extremely good team right now" is an opinion, not a fact.  "If all goes to plan they should win in the neighborhood of 95 to 100 games . . " is not a fact.  It's a prediction/opinion.  The Cubs look great on paper.  But they have to, you know, play the games. And if the past is prologue, well you how the season will likely end.  Cub fans, more than any other fan base should lay low, relax and temper their expectations.   They are set up for a nice 4-5 year stretch.  But stuff happens.

Absolutely, I do have have tempered expectations.  I am actually worried about being let down this year.  But again I am cautiously optimistic.  But my contention was with Papa's assertion that there are Cubs fans on a bandwagon or something.  Since there have been no real games played all we have is speculation and what looks good on paper.  But I don't think there is one person who knows anything about baseball that can deny that this year's Cubs look really good.  Cubs fans are excited and rightfully so.  I think if any team in baseball that had team that looks as good as the Cubs would be excited.  I think it is magnified because of who they are and how long since they have one.      

Also the biggest reason I have heard from the detractors is the Cubs' history (curse and whatnot).  The Cubs have ad some bad luck and bad teams in the past.  But what happened in the past has nothing to do with what this team can do in the future.  Of course stuff happens, but just because stuff happens doesn't mean Cubs fan can't be really excited this year.  Hey if people don't like it, that is fine.  Feel free to laugh in my face if the cubs win 80 games and finish 3rd in the NL Central.  But I would much rather have the feeling I have now believing that Cubs will win it all then be in the position of I hope my team just makes it to the playoffs.

Heck if I didn't have disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.      

^^  All fair points.  And I have no problem with band wagon fans.  As a Sox fan, I welcome any and all kinds of fans who happen to wander down to the Southside.  I think the media hype this spring has been a bit over the top, but that's not unexpected given last season and that the Cubs seem be far more popular these days than the White Sox.    

this site is suspiciously quiet about my phils expectations going into the new season. There's only two rational reasons I can come up with:

1. I'm the lone phils phan on the site.

2. I'm delusional.

3. both 1 and 2

But will my Reds lose the 100 games everyone says we will? I think not. I think the young guys could benefit from the lack of expectation and the old guys benefit from the infusion of youth. Hell, I just talked myself into a play off berth!!!

But will my Reds lose the 100 games everyone says we will? I think not. I think the young guys could benefit from the lack of expectation and the old guys benefit from the infusion of youth. Hell, I just talked myself into a play off berth!!!

Unfortunately they have to play a majority of their games against the Cubs, Cardinals and Pirates.  Those  wins have to come from somewhere.