• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the Rangers did good - after last night's lost, I was hoping the White Sox would pull this one out. Hopefully, Frazier is not too banged up - 5 stitches, I guess.

Yeah, the Rangers did good - after last night's lost, I was hoping the White Sox would pull this one out. Hopefully, Frazier is not too banged up - 5 stitches, I guess.

Yeah, his quote that he could feel his tongue go through his bottom lip was pretty gruesome. 

I was listening to the game yesterday on the radio - so I didn't see it until this a.m. -- pretty nasty -- nice of him to cover his mouth right away and head right off the field. He is listed as day to day - so that's good. He is just starting to hit (for average) - he has been doing a steller job in the HR/RBI  department.

And the (Red) Sox's Jackie Bradley Junior is on quite a tear.  He is so good defensively but it's nice to see him hitting well.

No doubt. I picked him up early in the season on a few fantasy teams but have really been enjoying being able to watch some Sox games in CO (last 2 weekends vs NYY) and a Wed night game last week....

If anyone wants to know about the ills of corporate (absentee) ownership in baseball, I offer as Exhibit A my Atlanta Braves. Anytime a representative of your team's owner refers to the team as "the asset," you know things are not well. With the stadium mess, the questionable personnel decisions and the obviously disastrous results not the field, it's becoming difficult for me to follow them. And I was a fan in the 1980s before the Schuerholz/Cox era of success. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15633876/mlb-competition-committee-agrees-changes-strike-zone-intentional-walks

I can't tell you how much I hate the change to the intentional walk rule.  How many intentional walks are there in a game 2 maybe 3?  This will save maybe 5 minutes?

Plus there are things that can happen in an intentional walk.  A wild pitch is common, but more common is after a pitcher throws 4 intentional balls, he has trouble finding the strike zone on the next batter.  It happened last week to the Cubs.  The pitcher should be required to throw the ball until the play is completed, regardless of the intended outcome.   

I don't think changing the intentional walk would shave even 2 minutes off per game. And yeah, it takes away the possibility of a wild pitch. Dumb change (if it gets voted in).

FWIW, this potential rule was brought up a few years ago, along with a 20-second clock for pitchers to deliver a pitch (don't know why this one hasn't been tried out yet)...

FWIW, this potential rule was brought up a few years ago, along with a 20-second clock for pitchers to deliver a pitch (don't know why this one hasn't been tried out yet)...

I was at an Isotopes (Rockies AAA) game and they had the 20 sec clock. It was distracting as a fan and when the click reached zero (which wasn't often) it was just turned off, no penalty was enforced that could tell.

Well, now that Nomar Garciaparra has retired, I'd guess that pitchers fidgeting about between each pitch is the greatest contributor to length of games. If the pitcher begins the wind up within the 20 seconds, the rule was designed that it's legit. If not, its a ball.

The people I know who do not enjoy watching or playing baseball, think it's a boring game. I don't think shaving 10 to 20 minutes off a game is going to sway anyone. Are they proposing and making these changes for the players, owners or the fans?

Watching football is a far more tedious.

The people I know who do not enjoy watching or playing baseball, think it's a boring game. I don't think shaving 10 to 20 minutes off a game is going to sway anyone. Are they proposing and making these changes for the players, owners or the fans?

Watching football is a far more tedious.

Fans, supposedly. The theory with raising the strike zone above the knees is to try and create more opportunities for players making contact and putting the ball in play. I'd guess most casual baseball fans would prefer the slug fest over the pitcher's duel....

Fans, supposedly. The theory with raising the strike zone above the knees is to try and create more opportunities for players making contact and putting the ball in play. I'd guess most casual baseball fans would prefer the slug fest over the pitcher's duel....

It is going to lead to more walks and less swings.  Thus extending the game.  

It is for TV.  The perfect length of a TV game is about 3 hours (ever notice how primetime broadcast is 3 hours).  That is the magic number.  Football is just over, but that is only 16 games a year and mostly played on Sundays where it is an event. 

Baseball just isn't made for TV it is made for radio or live.  That is the best way to watch a game.  

Not major league baseball, but I'm leaving for Birmingham today for tomorrow's Rickwood Classic at Rickwood Field. It's the oldest baseball park in the country, and 110 hall of famers have played on its field. This is a bucket list item for me.

http://rickwoodclassic.com

Not major league baseball, but I'm leaving for Birmingham today for tomorrow's Rickwood Classic at Rickwood Field. It's the oldest baseball park in the country, and 110 hall of famers have played on its field. This is a bucket list item for me.

http://rickwoodclassic.com

Nice! I visited the field even though there was no game/action when I was in Birmingham to see the great show Wilco put on a Sloss Furnace a few years back. The field looked really great.

Nice! I visited the field even though there was no game/action when I was in Birmingham to see the great show Wilco put on a Sloss Furnace a few years back. The field looked really great.

nalafej,

It was a terrific experience. Rollie Fingers threw out the first pitch and was available for autographs, photos, and handshakes during the game. The players for both teams wore throwback uniforms. Many were waiting to sign autographs for kids as they passed through the ballpark entrances. They sat atop the dugouts during the game. The next night I attended a Barons' game at their almost new stadium, Regions Field, in Downtown Birmingham. Very near to the stadium is the new Negro Southern League Museum, which is a must-see for baseball fans. 

nalafej,

It was a terrific experience. Rollie Fingers threw out the first pitch and was available for autographs, photos, and handshakes during the game. The players for both teams wore throwback uniforms. Many were waiting to sign autographs for kids as they passed through the ballpark entrances. They sat atop the dugouts during the game. The next night I attended a Barons' game at their almost new stadium, Regions Field, in Downtown Birmingham. Very near to the stadium is the new Negro Southern League Museum, which is a must-see for baseball fans. 

Very cool! Glad it was such a great experience.

Hate to quote myself - but the White Sox put Latos on assignment, yesterday.

Hopefully the White Sox can turn it around or I will be whistling "I'll Remember April" the rest of the year - which wouldn't  be the worse thing, I guess.

Go White Sox!

Man, Sale and Latos are off to a great start. The league may start to figure Latos out, but I think Sale will be different story. Obviously it's early, but it's shaping up that Chicago will own both Cy Young Awards.

Haven't followed the American League in the past week or so. What the heck is going on with the White Sox?

Piss poor in-game management, when the hitters hit, the pitching shits the bed and vice versa. Tim Anderson called up today and Jimmy Rollins DFA'd.

• 3 weeks later...