"Very Special Guests" in Chicago

Despite the fact that Pearl Jam is playing Wrigley Field, the day before and the day after the show, I think it's highly unlikely that they would be opening for Wilco. I'm not even sure what the band thinks of Pearl Jam in general. But that would be an amazing double bill. They would almost have to play under an alias because it would undoubtedly create chaos downtown.

$95 for a headlining show is awfully steep. I know they band could go many directions with multiple openers and sit ins, but one can dream!

Who would you like to see open this show?

With Pearl Jam being my all-time #1, I would die for any form of stage sharing.  Just having Ed pop in for California Stars would be incredible.  I've never heard either band comment on the other, but they seem to share a lot of views and politics and as far as I'm concerned they are the two premier American bands working today.

My money's on "The Total Pros" or "Lucious". 

Or both. 

Things that are labelled "special" by bands, rarely end up being as special to the audience. (Not saying that I dont like either of those artists, just saying that there's 0.0% chance of Wilco rolling out Kanye or Eddie Vedder or Bono). 

Kurt Vile is an okay act (I saw him at Riot Fest a couple summers ago) but he is really not special.  I would suspect that the special guests will be Chicago based folks that are friends with Wilco and also worth the time, not unlike the show at the Kane County ball park a couple summers ago.  But let's see, as I recall Dr. Dog opened the last time Wilco played the Pritzger; they were just okay in my opinion.

LouieB

I liked him well enough.  I guess as an opening act you don't want anyone too spectacular. He is a typical indie rocker.

As I mentioned on another thread, today is the actual (and long dead) Kurt Weill's birthday.  Or as someone once said, Kurt Vile's stage name is clever by half.

LouieB

I would put my money on the new Foo Fighters fronted by Nick Lachey.

I can't see them inviting any former members. I just don't think any of them would add anything at this point.  Horn section, sure.  Andrew Bird, great, but mostly I suspect special guests will be opening acts (there have to be at least one or two) and maybe some vocalists.

LouieB

Do you think that someday the band might have former members (Leroy, Bob, Max, or Ken) as special guests at something like this event?

if the time and place is right, i can see Leroy joining on a couple of tunes, but it is a long shot. who know whether they're in the audience anyway, again depending on time and place

• 1 month later...

William Tyler is on the bill for some shows before Chicago, so that is definitely a possibility. I would love to see him sit in with the band on an electric version of Spiders. Kurt Vile is most likely out of the picture because of his Lollapalooza set. Regardless, I'm pumped for this show. 

• 2 months later...

Could the delayed announcement / secrecy of the 'special guests' have anything to do with the recent performances with Jim O'Roarke?   Probably not, right?

Highly unlikely that Jim will ever leave Japan. It would be great if he toured, but it's as remote as, well...Jim O'Rourke leaving Japan.