• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of this, except I still have a reservation. Other than Television, and somewhat Kurt Vile (who I recently saw in Boston), underwhelmed by the non-Wilco acts. Underwhelmed because I'm not familiar with them, so I'll go with open ears and check em out. It's always such a good scene. Would be interested to know what other comedians will be in the comedy cabaret, my wife usually spends most of Saturday there. 

Alloy Orchestra should be cool... always wanted to see them. features Roger Miller from Mission of Burma (and a host of other projects).

Daniel Bachmann is an extremely talented acoustic guitar master. 

The Alvin brothers were (are? they still extant?) in The Blasters, and Dave played w/ John, DJ and Exene as The Knitters.

Jeff Parker is from Tortoise and is a solid player. looking forward to his ensemble.

i need to dig into the others. i think this lineup is better than last event's.

I'm a big Peter Wolf fan.  I've seen him twice at The Ark in Ann Arbor MI and he was great both times.  And I'm a somewhat indifferent J Geils fan.  He may pull out a few of the old J Geils songs but mainly he will focus on his own songs, which are excellent.  He has the same type of appearance as Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler -- longish hair, very thin, flamboyant dresser, still has the moves.  His voice is great -- hard to believe at his age he has such a wide vocal range.  And he's a great story-teller; lots of quick and witty stories of people he wrote songs with, or what influenced his songs.  He's worth seeing.

I wonder if Peter Wolf and the Midnight Travelers might be the opening band for Friday night. It seems like a veteran band has been utilized in the past for this slot. If so, I'm hoping that Kelly Hogan will be part of the Midnight Travelers. Kelly has provided vocals on a Peter solo record lately and it would be great to see her perform at Solid Sound! In the last few months, I've enjoyed her performing with Andrew Bird, Drive By Truckers and Alejandro Escovado/Minus 5. I'm looking forward to seeing her band The Flat Five opening for Wilco at the Chicago Theater on Wednesday!

Peter Wolf and the Midnight Travelers on Friday as the warm up band on Joe's Field sounds right. Television as the opener on Saturday would be my guess, with Kurt Vile and the Violators right before that. I wonder if Robert Glasper Experiment and Idris Ackamoor and the Pyramids will be on the field on Sunday before Tweedy.

I doubt there will be any repeats, pretty sure they never have at a SS. But how much Schmilco will we get? Is there a/What's the theme for Friday?

At Solid Sound 2011, they played "I Might" on both nights, 06-24-11 and 06-25-11.

"pretty sure" = didn't do his homework