• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's snow day has me a bit worried. Last day of school is now Wednesday, June 21st. Creeping closer to the Friday start of SS, and now one day away from my projected departure date of Thursday. The plan has been to leave Thursday morning and roll into the Berkshires Thursday afternoon. I have really enjoyed being in the area the day before SS starts in the past. Another snow day, and that plan is toast.

First world problems.

^similar issue for my wife, who works in a school system in the Boston area. We never go out before Friday, but now it looks like school will be extended through that Friday (if not the following Monday), which means rather than a leisurely drive out early on Friday, we'll be scrambling to get out there, leaving Needham not before 3:30 at the earliest, causing me much anxiety.

Today's snow day has me a bit worried. Last day of school is now Wednesday, June 21st. Creeping closer to the Friday start of SS, and now one day away from my projected departure date of Thursday. The plan has been to leave Thursday morning and roll into the Berkshires Thursday afternoon. I have really enjoyed being in the area the day before SS starts in the past. Another snow day, and that plan is toast.

First world problems.

We usually arrive on Thursday too. The art/street fair that night is nice, and the Clark museum is excellent. This year we're heading up on Wednesday so we can do some other stuff.

Luckily, the schools in our area (Southeastern Connecticut) have only had a few snow days this year, so we should be ok. If not, we're going anyway.

Man, I wish they'd figure out something better than the Hunter Center for comedy. If you want to get in to see a particular person, you've pretty much got to get there at least two performers before them and get in line, because your only chance to get in is to wait for some people to leave from previous sets. As part of the crowd leaves, you can get closer to getting in. It can take half the day. I wanted to see Tig Notaro in 2015 and I had to watch 2 acts before her just to get into the auditorium. Maybe with their expansion they'll figure out a better location for the comedy, or some different means of ingress/egress.

it's a numbers problem.... how many tickets did they sell for SSF 2015, 6000? i think the Hunter Center can fit about 1000. maybe they should get rid of the chairs so there won't be dead space via random empty seats in the middle.

i don't think the comedy would work too well outside at any of the other stages.

I'm always surprised by how well attended the comedy show is. I don't know why I'm surprised, as my wife spends the entire Saturday at the comedy stage, but I'm always shocked that it's so well attended at a music festival. I agree, I don't see any other venue for the comedy, I don't think it's suited for outdoors (especially with music going on in the courtyards), nor do i think it works to have it standing only inside the Hunter. 

I'm always surprised by how well attended the comedy show is.

The level of talent is very high. I was able to catch one show at both fests I went to without too much of an issue. Reggie Watts and John Mulaney.

I agree. It needs to be inside, and it probably needs to be seated. I was just thinking that maybe with their expansion there could be some other room available. I hate getting stuck in there for hours just to see one performer.

I have seen at least one comedy act the previous four SS fest that i have been to, and plan on another this year. Kristen Schaal is the only comic i made a point of seeing, because i knew her from Flight of the Conchords and i was hoping she would do her character Mel with Tweedy some how making a cameo in the bit. She didn't, but she was still hilarious. It's a nice break in the festival and a chance to just sit in a dark room for a short time and regroup for the evenings highlights (Wilco). It's also nice to be in a room full of laughter. Shit with our political landscape, this year i need that more then ever!  :worried

In case anyone is still looking for a hotel for Solid Sound, the owner of The Willows in Williamstown just called me today. A group of people from Germany just cancelled and that freed up 5 rooms. The rooms have 2 queen beds (but I think one of the rooms has just 1 queen). He's looking for a 3-night minimum stay and it's $199 per night. I've stayed at The Willows twice and found it a very pleasant place with considerate management, not fancy but comfortable and spacious. I think all rooms have mini fridges. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.