• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be missing this info somewhere but...how early are we allowed admission to the museum on Friday? I know the festival check in isn't until 5pm but I notice they'll have the Kidspace activities open at 11am (according to the FAQ) so I was wondering if there is access to the galleries all day as well. Getting in early for the first time this year and looking forward to the new installations as well as the music!

Hey Solid Sounders, if you got one of the "We're all in this together, except Trump, he's a dick" t-shirts, this is your reminder that tomorrow (Saturday) is the day to wear it. Please come for the group photo at 10:30 am. We will be posing with the big orange WILCO letters which face Joe's field. Let's try to meet (a bit early please) on the bridge over the canal, the one that takes you to Joe's field from courtyard D.

Be there or be square.

Driving from the hotel to the parking I caught most of Nels Cline's interview last night on NPR's Fresh Air. http://www.npr.org/2017/06/23/533977877/guitarist-nels-cline-on-lovers-an-album-25-years-in-the-making

I also saw John Stirratt & his wife leave the Hunter Center's last comedy set. I gave him a brief "last night was awesome! Thanks so much!". He was very appreciative. 2nd time I've seen him around the fest.

• 2 weeks later...

It was posted on FB that Kung Fu says the Solid Sound Roadcase recordings of both Fri and Sat will be released this Friday. Hope that's not #fakenews.

Having never been able to go I always look forward to these. Probably more so this year than ever before. I went back and looked and the last SS recordings went up on July 6th 2015 so that seems to be within reason.

A brief little thought after about a week and a half of returning to normal life...

I've always thought that SS was as much (or more) about the people, the place, the vibe, the whole "summer camp" feel... than the line up or the music itself.  The line up's tend to not match up all that well with my admittedly rather limited musical library.  This year was the same in terms of line up - some very interesting and enjoyable acts, for sure, but a lot of things that I wouldn't go out of my way to see.  And certainly the vibe at this year's festival was just wonderful - the "bubble" was in full force.  More hugs, smiles, joy, beauty, and life in those 3 days than you can imagine.  It is just fabulous. 

But just when you think the vibe outshines the music, Wilco brings back-to-back sets which eclipse the sun, moon, and stars.  They just crushed it both nights.  Re-learned the whole BT album, just because we asked them to.  Played the iconic YHF as a consolation / runner-up prize so that nobody felt left out or "electorally cheated".  Came back the next night, filled in the BY/YFH "setlist holes" with deep cuts and diehard faves.  Recovered from a mutant moth attack during VC to lay out a gorgeously spooky Bull Black Nova, which felt to me that it was just because I asked them.

So yeah, it's about the music, specifically the world's best rock and roll band, Wilco, playing at their best, for the people who love them. 

Vince

A brief little thought after about a week and a half of returning to normal life...

I've always thought that SS was as much (or more) about the people, the place, the vibe, the whole "summer camp" feel... than the line up or the music itself.  The line up's tend to not match up all that well with my admittedly rather limited musical library.  This year was the same in terms of line up - some very interesting and enjoyable acts, for sure, but a lot of things that I wouldn't go out of my way to see.  And certainly the vibe at this year's festival was just wonderful - the "bubble" was in full force.  More hugs, smiles, joy, beauty, and life in those 3 days than you can imagine.  It is just fabulous. 

But just when you think the vibe outshines the music, Wilco brings back-to-back sets which eclipse the sun, moon, and stars.  They just crushed it both nights.  Re-learned the whole BT album, just because we asked them to.  Played the iconic YHF as a consolation / runner-up prize so that nobody felt left out or "electorally cheated".  Came back the next night, filled in the BY/YFH "setlist holes" with deep cuts and diehard faves.  Recovered from a mutant moth attack during VC to lay out a gorgeously spooky Bull Black Nova, which felt to me that it was just because I asked them.

So yeah, it's about the music, specifically the world's best rock and roll band, Wilco, playing at their best, for the people who love them. 

Vince

You encapsulated the weekend perfectly, Vince.

I'm going to print that on little cards and hand them out to everyone who asks me, "How was that thing you went to?"

Really need a Roadcase release of the weekend to relive it. 

That BBN was something else. I'd heard the more chilled-out version they'd been doing lately, kind of missed the energy of the original. The "hybrid" they did gave me chills.