Tweedy - 27 March 2016, Auckland, New Zealand (Powerstation)

Hazel
Fake Fur Coat
Diamond Light
Flowering
Summer Noon
World Away
New Moon
High As Hello
Wait For Love
Love Like a Wire
Low Key
Nobody Dies Anymore

Via Chicago
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
One Wing
New Madrid
Remember the Mountain Bed
Hummingbird

Please Tell My Brother
Born Alone
Jesus etc
I'm the Man Who Loves You
A Shot in the Arm

Thirteen (Sammy Tweedy on vocals)
Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood
Only the Lord Knows

The Losing End
California Stars
Queen Bitch

The Powerstation isn't a huge venue, but this is traditionally a weekend when Aucklanders make use of the last holiday before winter and get out of town, so the venue was only half full. The people that were there were respectful and enthusiastic (at the right points). As others have said, the Sukierae songs seem much better live and even though lots of people didn't seem familiar they got a good reception. One Wing was an early highlight of the solo set. And as for all the other sets of the tour Spiders was on the setlist but not played (along with Passenger Side). Jesus etc got a hushed crowd sing along (trying not to drown out Jeff), but other than that they seemed happy listening. I'm the Man was dedicated to Suzy, who was seated on one of the couches around the edge of the floor (along with Liam and Elroy Finn). Jeff commented that it was nice to actually be able to see her while he played the song. Sammy Tweedy sang all of Thirteen, getting a big clap (followed by the loudest cheer of the night when Jeff said it was his first time singing on stage). The kid's got a great voice and nailed the song.

Jeff seemed to be having fun (it always helps if the venue is standing), but both Give Back the Key... and 5 Years were dropped from the encore. Banter wise there were only a couple of highlights. After Jeff introduced Spencer someone yelled out 'you're doing a fine job sir' and Jeff said thanks they appreciated any positive feedback, later asking for less positive feedback when someone yelled too much, and then more after he messed up Born Alone. After an early song he said something like 'that was a waltz, I don't know whether they've made it down here but they're huge in the states', there wasn't a reaction from the crowd leading him to comment 'that fell flat' (it might have been that people couldn't hear, my girlfriend asked after the show what he said about the Waltons). There were also a few comments about Auckland being the Tweedy family's home away from home (after the time they all spent here for 7 Worlds Collide (which was at the same venue)), and that this was the first time the whole family had been back.

Overall, it was a really great show. I'd given up on seeing Tweedy, so it was nice to catch what might be their last show for a while.

• 2 weeks later...