What's the deal with Wilco (The Album)?

You Never Know may be one of the worst songs ever and can firmly be labeled dad rock for it's sentiment (sorry Jeff).  

LouieB

hmm. i love that tune. if George Harrison was alive and heard it, he'd be banging his head against the wall, thinking 'why didnt i write this for the Wilburys?'. it's got his voice and guitar all over it and it sounds like Jeff Lynne was a fly on the wall when they recorded/mixed it. i find this album better than TWL, but opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one!

• 4 weeks later...

One Wing, Country Disappeared, Solitaire, and Everlasting Everything are some of my all-time favorite Wilco songs, and songs that I'd happily request at concerts rather than hearing I Got You for the 1000th time. Was listening to a concert where Jeff said Everlasting Everything was one of his favorite's and seemed sad that they never really play it. 

WTA just reminds me of having a good time in the summer, so I find it hard to treat the album harshly. 

But Sonny Feeling is probs the weakest Wilco track.

One Wing, Country Disappeared, Solitaire, and Everlasting Everything are some of my all-time favorite Wilco songs, and songs that I'd happily request at concerts rather than hearing I Got You for the 1000th time. Was listening to a concert where Jeff said Everlasting Everything was one of his favorite's and seemed sad that they never really play it. 

WTA just reminds me of having a good time in the summer, so I find it hard to treat the album harshly. 

But Sonny Feeling is probs the weakest Wilco track.

Or maybe Capital City

Wow, loads of actual hate for You Never Know, easily my preferred song of that album and only one of about two or three I even like. Having said that, the performance of it is horribly flat. I've never been more disappointed in an album by anyone, ever than this one.

Wow, loads of actual hate for You Never Know, easily my preferred song of that album and only one of about two or three I even like. Having said that, the performance of it is horribly flat. I've never been more disappointed in an album by anyone, ever than this one.

Wait a minute here... How is it possible to have a preferred song on an album in which you have never Ever been more disappointed?

Wait a minute here... How is it possible to have a preferred song on an album in which you have never Ever been more disappointed?

I didn't say it was worthless. However, I've never been let down by an album so much as in this case - and how dull it was even after 15 listens. 2 or 3 decent tunes on there, regardless.

My impression of WTA has improved over the years, though for me it's still a half-baked product blighted by some strange production choices. In some ways it reminds me of The Byrds' last couple of albums (particularly 1971's Byrdmaniax). Like that album, WTA's got some nice material on it (One Wing, Everlasting) but stuff like You Never Know and the atrocious Sonny Feeling really damage the listenability for me as a whole. I've always been really vexed by Bull Black Nova - the groove and structure is incredible, but everything else is so forced it just comes off as a pastiche of something Wilco did well elsewhere. Thank goodness they left Dark Neon and Glad It's Over off it as well - on par with Sonny Feeling and Sunloathe as contender for worst Wilco track of all time.

My impression of WTA has improved over the years, though for me it's still a half-baked product blighted by some strange production choices. In some ways it reminds me of The Byrds' last couple of albums (particularly 1971's Byrdmaniax). Like that album, WTA's got some nice material on it (One Wing, Everlasting) but stuff like You Never Know and the atrocious Sonny Feeling really damage the listenability for me as a whole. I've always been really vexed by Bull Black Nova - the groove and structure is incredible, but everything else is so forced it just comes off as a pastiche of something Wilco did well elsewhere. Thank goodness they left Dark Neon and Glad It's Over off it as well - on par with Sonny Feeling and Sunloathe as contender for worst Wilco track of all time.

Byrdmanix comparison is scathing!  :-)  I actually like Dark Neon and Bull Black.  Dark Neon would've been a good replacement for Sonny and Glad It's Over for I'll Fight.  The rest I can live with.

Byrdmanix comparison is scathing!  :-)  I actually like Dark Neon and Bull Black.  Dark Neon would've been a good replacement for Sonny and Glad It's Over for I'll Fight.  The rest I can live with.

Never listened to Byrdmanix, but that album cover is horrible ---- it's Han Solo'ist.

Never listened to Byrdmanix, but that album cover is horrible ---- it's Han Solo'ist.

I admit it's a pretty scathing comparison, but no late period Byrds album is without its charms. Much like the 2007-2011 Wilco period for me. :)

I admit it's a pretty scathing comparison, but no late period Byrds album is without its charms. Much like the 2007-2011 Wilco period for me. :)

Just a joke, of course.  Great comparison...as is the comparison of carbonite Solo with the cover.  LOL!

Can someone answer this tangential question:

In the Tweedy interview righ Jeff Garlin, Tweedy said the band didn't play songs off of Wilco (The Album) for a few years because the band didn't want to pay to play their own songs.

Was there some type of legal battle over the rights to Wilco (The Album) that I missed?

Can someone answer this tangential question:

In the Tweedy interview righ Jeff Garlin, Tweedy said the band didn't play songs off of Wilco (The Album) for a few years because the band didn't want to pay to play their own songs.

Was there some type of legal battle over the rights to Wilco (The Album) that I missed?

Good question.  is there an answer?

LouieB

Someone explained this in another thread a year or two ago but I'm not smart enough to find it. I want to say it was a publishing issue as they were parting with Nonesuch. Perhaps one of the reasons the rarities box was cheekily titled Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

The first wilco album I bought was a ghost is born, and took me a while to appreciate the experimentation and now love this part of the band. I think wilco(the album) is strong and after sky blue sky (my fav) its a worthy addition to the catalogue. I like it anyway...and look forward to seeing them for the first time in Manchester UK in November.....