Visiting Chicago next month. Wilco stuff I should check out?

Nope. See the thread we always refer folks to and that should suffice.  This poster is probably not really interested in much we have to say anyway.  It's not like Chicago is there to entertain Wilco fans only. We have all kinds of fun stuff to do that has nothing to do with Wilco.And I am also a bit tired of making suggestions and then never hearing if anyone took any of those (or others) suggestions,

LouieB

To the original poster:  Here's our thread about visiting Chicago,. It is lengthy and has been added to over the years, so be aware some info may be outdated.  You'll have to verify important info yourself.  I think there is some "Wilco tourism" info in this thread, you'll have to scan to find it.

http://viachicago.org/topic/35877-going-to-chicagowhat-to-do-see-stay-etc/

Good luck visiting Chicago's Wilco locations!  

To the original poster:  Here's our thread about visiting Chicago,. It is lengthy and has been added to over the years, so be aware some info may be outdated.  You'll have to verify important info yourself.  I think there is some "Wilco tourism" info in this thread, you'll have to scan to find it.

http://viachicago.org/topic/35877-going-to-chicagowhat-to-do-see-stay-etc/

Good luck visiting Chicago's Wilco locations!  

Thanks Wendy!

Craig, I don't know when exactly you'll be visiting, but Jeff Tweedy is playing his annual benefit concerts at the Vic Theatre on May 13 and 14. These are always tons of fun, so if you'll be around that weekend you should definitely go.

I have a few other suggestions:

Besides Marina City, you could take a walk around Adler Planetarium and The Shedd Aquarium. That is where the cover of I Am Trying to Break Your Heart was shot by Sam Jones.

You could try to get into CRC which is where Wilco recorded music prior to the Loft and scene of the famous puking incident in IATTBYH.

You could visit the old Soma Studios site in the heart of Wicker Park (which is a fun neighborhood). Soma is where Mikael used to work and a photo of the door to the studio is the cover of the Down With Wilco album by The Minus 5.

Super Dawg was the scene of a great Wilco photo shoot. I feel like it was used for Spin? https://www.flickr.com/photos/superdawgdrivein/sets/72157622169785484/

Well all those suggestions seem pretty hard core.  Super Dawg is far off the beaten track, but if you have a car and eat hot dogs I guess it is worth a visit.  If you simply want to go to club where Wilco and Wilco members have played, do the Hideout.  If you want to experience what being a Wilco fan is like in Chicago, pick a cold day and stand out in front of either the Vic or the Riviera Theaters all day.  You can also find the store front where Lounge Ax used to be.  

LouieB

No, sort of Chicago Style at Super Dawg.  Mustard, onions, relish, pickle, and as a twist, pickled green tomato.  Super Dawg is really not worth the trip for the hot dogs or the photo op alone. Both, maybe, but it is in the far northwest reaches of Chicago.

The Hideout is also where Jeff met Mavis Staples.

LouieB

No, sort of Chicago Style at Super Dawg.  Mustard, onions, relish, pickle, and as a twist, pickled green tomato.  Super Dawg is really not worth the trip for the hot dogs or the photo op alone. Both, maybe, but it is in the far northwest reaches of Chicago.

The Hideout is also where Jeff met Mavis Staples.

LouieB

Mountain Bed probably eats hot dogs that way. He is a Cubs fan. 

• 1 month later...