Big Star Third — 27 April 2016, Glendale, CA (Alex Theatre)

Since one third of Wilco performed at this performance (filmed for future release), I figured it'd be of some interest to at least a few folks here. I'm sure there were at least a few other VC regulars in attendance, given the smattering of Wilco shirts I spotted, so it'd be interesting to get their takes.

But just to kick things off, I'll just first mention what songs Jeff and Pat were onstage for:

Jeff —

-lead vocals and electric guitar on When My Baby's Beside Me

-lead vocals on Kizza Me

-lead vocals on Nighttime

-vocals on Thank You Friends

-electric guitar on In The Street

-electric guitar and vocals on September Gurls

Pat —

-solo acoustic I'm In Love With a Girl (to start the show)

-lead vocals and acoustic guitar on Watch The Sunrise

-electric guitar and vocals on When My Baby's Beside Me

-vocals on Thank You Friends

-lead vocals and acoustic guitar on You And Your Sister

-electric guitar and vocals on In The Street

-electric guitar and vocals on I Am The Cosmos

-electric guitar and vocals on September Gurls

These Third shows are often made by who turns up to sing, and they got some fine folks to make it for this one. In addition to Jeff and Pat, other guest singers included Ira Kaplan from Yo La Tengo, Dan Wilson of Semisonic fame, Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow of the Posies (and reunited Big Star), Robyn Hitchcock, Mike Mills, Jessica Pratt and the core band with Jody Stephens, Mitch Easter, Django Haskins, Skylar Gudasz and Brett Harris.

Additionally, they had the Kronos Quartet on strings and Benmont Tench from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers playing organ and keyboard.

Thanks for the recap, bböp. Pat singing Watch The Sunrise is a treat. It's right in his wheelhouse. A few questions... Did Ira take the lead vocals on anything? Did Jody sing Blue Moon or did someone else get the honor? And, regarding the video taping, what kind of camera setups did they have? Were they static and discrete or did they have booms and/or guys with handhelds roaming around? Just wondering what we can expect to see next year when the video is released (assuming, of course, that the project isn't shelved).

Thanks for the recap, bböp. Pat singing Watch The Sunrise is a treat. It's right in his wheelhouse. A few questions... Did Ira take the lead vocals on anything? Did Jody sing Blue Moon or did someone else get the honor? And, regarding the video taping, what kind of camera setups did they have? Were they static and discrete or did they have booms and/or guys with handhelds roaming around? Just wondering what we can expect to see next year when the video is released (assuming, of course, that the project isn't shelved).

My pleasure, Firecracker Kid. To answer your questions, yeah Ira sang lead on a couple of the more tender numbers — The EMI Song and Take Care — and also took part of the ensemble vocals on Thank You Friends as well as chipping in with guitar and keyboard on a couple other songs. They also got his better half, Georgia Hubley, to contribute backing vocals on Femme Fatale (with Jessica Pratt singing lead). And yes, Jody did sing Blue Moon, which was excellent. I thought Jeff might get that one, since he had previously at a Barcelona performance, but obviously Jody nails it (the bassoon solo is great on that one as well). As far as the camera setups, there weren't any booms or anything like that. There were static cameras on either side of the stage and then they had a couple of guys with handhelds also roaming around, like behind Jody for example. There were also a couple of big cameras in the back of the room in front of the soundboard.

The filming was relatively unobtrusive, really. I was a bit worried that for a show that already has a lot of moving parts with people coming on and off stage and things like that, that the filming would make things even more clunky. But they didn't have to reshoot anything or stop and start much if at all. It was pretty much just the show and then I guess they will edit as needed. Not that there weren't a couple of tiny goofs (like Jody introduced the wrong song at one point, for example), but all in all, it seemed to go OK.

It was a delicious show and I'm still replaying it all in my head. Thanks as usual for all the careful detailing, Paul, and thanks to The Inside of Outside for the link to the clips and photos! A thoroughly satisfying evening. And who knew Mike Mills could play the basketball?! 

Agreed that the cameras were surprisingly unobtrusive and didn't distract. I can't wait to get to see that footage.

Oh, and gorgeous lighting!

Oh man...

I saw a version of this show a couple of years ago in Sydney (sans a lot of the people mentioned above) but it was still wonderful. One of the best shows I've seen. So to hear this has been filmed is great news.

Is Chris Stamey still a part of the band? He was the bandleader on the night I saw the show and his love for this music was so infectious. It was a pleasure and a joy to watch him on stage.

Oh man...

I saw a version of this show a couple of years ago in Sydney (sans a lot of the people mentioned above) but it was still wonderful. One of the best shows I've seen. So to hear this has been filmed is great news.

Is Chris Stamey still a part of the band? He was the bandleader on the night I saw the show and his love for this music was so infectious. It was a pleasure and a joy to watch him on stage.

Yeah, Stamey is still part of the core band (and one of the main reasons this whole Third project even came together in the first place) and I agree that he is fun to watch. Of all of them besides Jody, I think he best embodies the original spirit of how Chilton viewed Big Star — serious but casual at the same time, if that makes any sense.

During the show the other night, he would just say things off cuff to the rest of the band and make sure everyone was ready to start a song, etc., almost oblivious to the fact that there were cameras all around.