The National - Joe's Field, Mass MoCA - June 11, 2016 - N. Adams, MA

The National played a terrific show last night at Joe's Field.  It was great to see the field full of people enjoying a great night of music in the Berkshires to welcome in summer.  Storms were predicted - but the thunder and lightning never came, which made for a lovely (if a little chilly) evening.  This was my first time seeing The National and I was really impressed with the band.  The mix was spot on and the overall sound was amazing.  This is a band that is clearly on top of their live game.  Matt Berringer's baritone is really something to behold - a truly unique and gorgeous voice.  The Dessner's guitar play throughout the entire show was spectacular and nuanced.  The Devendorf's are a terrific rhythm section - add the three guys that play horns (the Brass-Holes as Berringer called them) and an array of synthesizers and you've got an amazing live band with a huge sound.

They debuted four new songs - all of which sounded great and ready to be recorded.  Highlights for me were This is the Last Time, Pink Rabbits, Peggy O, England, Mr. November and Fake Empire.

Here's the printed set list:

Don't Swallow the Cap

Sea Of Love

BloodBuzz Ohio

Hard to Find

Afraid of Everyone 

Squalor Victoria

Peggy O (Grateful Dead Cover)

I Need Ny Girl

This is the Last Time

Iris

Kingston

Sometimes i Don't Think

Slow Show

Pink Rabbits

England

About Today

Fake Empire

Morning Dew (Grateful Dead Cover - Did Not Play)

The Day I Die

Mr. November

Terrible Love

Vanderlyle (Full Band Front of Stage - Stripped Down Version)