Aerosmith breaking up

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to be a big fan. So many great songs. I don't know if I would call the upcoming situation a breakup so much as a retirement. Dudes are old. Tyler is crazy for putting out a solo album and touring behind it this year.

have they set a record for band calling it quits the longest after their sell-by date?

It will be a short-lived record when the Stones officially "quit". I'm estimating their sell-by date took place some time in 1986, after the release of Dirty Work. That jug of milk has been in the fridge for 30 years.

ZZ Top's sell-by date is from some time around there too. 

Aerosmith actually had a hit song in 1998. So it has been 18 years, but...the Stones haven't had one since 1981, right? I also think it is impressive that Aerosmith (and ZZ Top) are still at with the original 5 members. Not many bands can make that work.

Aerosmith actually had a hit song in 1998. So it has been 18 years, but...the Stones haven't had one since 1981, right? I also think it is impressive that Aerosmith (and ZZ Top) are still at with the original 5 members. Not many bands can make that work.

I'm being generous by giving the Stones "Undercover of the Night" - in 1983.

And yes, Aerosmith does deserve some kudos for having the original members in the band, but that clock was reset in 1984, when Joe Perry and Brad Whitford returned to the fold. Perry was out of the band for almost 5 years.

ZZ Top is the current line-up longevity Cup holder. Los Lobos is up there somewhere.

And yes, Aerosmith does deserve some kudos for having the original members in the band, but that clock was reset in 1984, when Joe Perry and Brad Whitford returned to the fold. Perry was out of the band for almost 5 years.

Aw, come on, man, they were pretty much all in a blackout during those years. You can't count that! :lol

Wait Rolling Stones had love is strong , anybody seen my baby those were real hits and you got me rockin so that's 94-96

Your absolutlley right, although Bigger Bang '05 had no hits, I rather enjoyed it.

Re Aerosmith, fan since HS they are from my Hometown I have seen them since Get Your Wimgs came out, attended concert rehearsals and Enjoyed the New Years Eve Parties in Early Mid 90s at the Old Boston Garden.

It will be bittersweet for a lot of folks round here when they play for the last time. I would be very surprised if the tour ended anywhere but Boston.

• 3 years later...

Dang guess they’re a still here however did y’all hear the drama with Joey Kramer horrible what they’re doing to him in my opinion!

How so? From what I've read - in the past year or so, he suffered some injuries that prevented him from playing several dates. So, the band, which will be performing at the Grammys, wanted him to come audition to make sure he could still play (they ARE ancient, after all). Apparently, Kramer didn't show up for several rehearsals. They decided that he wasn't up to snuff. So now he's suing them. 

How so? From what I've read - in the past year or so, he suffered some injuries that prevented him from playing several dates. So, the band, which will be performing at the Grammys, wanted him to come audition to make sure he could still play (they ARE ancient, after all). Apparently, Kramer didn't show up for several rehearsals. They decided that he wasn't up to snuff. So now he's suing them.

from what I heard the band made him pay for his replacement drummer that’s a jerky move. The guy obviously wants to play. I think even auditioning was borderline insulting. I understand he had some issues but he is a founding member of the band. I think they should call it a day or officially remove him from the band but to charge him for his sub while he is trying to get back at it is petty. It’s not like he was being paid for the shows he didn’t play.

Kramer was responsible for paying his replacement - because it WAS in the contract, and he WAS getting paid for shows he was sidelined for.  Petty or not, they all agreed to it.

Regardless - it's a shitty business. 

I would assume all of this "play at an appropriate level" stuff  is being guided by whatever contract they signed for their big bucks Vegas residency, and I'm sure that big teat is more compelling than being a decent human being. 

Kramer was responsible for paying his replacement - because it WAS in the contract, and he WAS getting paid for shows he was sidelined for.  Petty or not, they all agreed to it.

Regardless - it's a shitty business. 

I would assume all of this "play at an appropriate level" stuff  is being guided by whatever contract they signed for their big bucks Vegas residency, and I'm sure that big teat is more compelling than being a decent human being.

He needs a better lawyer then signing that contract. Sucks they’re not more cordial to each other but the all mighty dollar is involved!

He needs a better lawyer then signing that contract. Sucks they’re not more cordial to each other but the all mighty dollar is involved!

Meh, I don't think that clause is that bad. You get paid even when you miss shows, which is better than not getting paid, because they're certainly not paying the replacement drummer more than what a band member's share would be. Getting paid is always better than not getting paid. 

I'm assuming they must have a "termination for cause" clause in the band's contract, which is probably why they went through the whole rigmarole of having him audition. They probably couldn't fire him for being injured, unless it could be shown that even after physical therapy / recovery he just wasn't up to snuff. I would assume that termination is going to be the next step. 

Meh, I don't think that clause is that bad. You get paid even when you miss shows, which is better than not getting paid, because they're certainly not paying the replacement drummer more than what a band member's share would be. Getting paid is always better than not getting paid. 

Is that what your boss does when you miss work?  Take some of your pay and give it to a lower paid scab, leaving you with the leftovers?

Is that what your boss does when you miss work?  Take some of your pay and give it to a lower paid scab, leaving you with the leftovers?

If that's what he and his boss agreed to in his contract, then yes. 

It's sad that these guys, not just Aerosmith, all of these over the hill classic rockers, still need money. Either they blew it all, or they are fucking greedy as hell. "We'll pay you $$$$$$ for a Vegas residency". "Yes, we'll do it, no matter the personal cost or how pathetic we look. Pay me my money down!" Graceless motherfuckers.